Confirmed with Link: [TOR/PIT] RW Kapanen, D Lindgren, LW Aberg for '20 1st(15th), LW Rodrigues, C Hallander, D Warsofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Our 3rd line is technically not as strong as it was with Johnsson and Kapanen on it, but I don't think it is necessarily weak. Kerfoot is a good 3C. I think Vesey and Simmonds, now that they are on stronger teams, can each put up 15 goals and 35 points (assuming they get some PP time). Our 4th line should be pretty decent as well.

The main thing is that we have 4 lines that look pretty strong defensively while also being strong possession players capable of putting up some offense. Hopefully the added size between Simmonds and Vesey up front will also be helpful.
Vesey/Kerfoot/Simmonds would be a below average offensive 3rd line, and very weak defensively. Overall, weak. Also, last year none of Vesey/Kerfoot/Simmonds hit 10 goals or 30 points, although it was a shortened (~70 game) season.

Compared to our top divisional competition, Tampa will be rocking something like Gourde/Goodrow/Coleman, and the Bruins something like Bjork/Coyle/Kase. 5 of those 6 (everyone but Bjork) are better than our best 3rd liner (Kerfoot), most of them WAY better. Our 3rd line is two very weak 3rd liners (the wingers, whoever they are) and one OK 3rd liner (Kerfoot). It’s weak.

Last edited:

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Vesey/Kerfoot/Simmonds would be a below average offensive 3rd line, and very weak defensively. Overall, weak. Also, last year none of Vesey/Kerfoot/Simmonds hit 10 goals or 30 points, although it was a shortened (~70 game) season.

Compared to our top divisional competition, Tampa will be rocking something like Gourde/Goodrow/Coleman, and the Bruins something like Bjork/Coyle/Kase. 5 of those 6 (everyone but Bjork) are better than our best 3rd liner (Kerfoot), most of them WAY better. Our 3rd line is two very weak 3rd liners (the wingers, whoever they are) and one OK 3rd liner (Kerfoot). It’s weak.
Just going to have to hope for bounce back seasons from these guys or for some no name up incomers to break through (Malgin, Anderson, Barabanov). All in all, it's hard to invision a steep downgrade when Johnsson and Kapanen were both terrible in the play ins.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Our 3rd line is technically not as strong as it was with Johnsson and Kapanen on it, but I don't think it is necessarily weak. Kerfoot is a good 3C. I think Vesey and Simmonds, now that they are on stronger teams, can each put up 15 goals and 35 points (assuming they get some PP time). Our 4th line should be pretty decent as well.

The main thing is that we have 4 lines that look pretty strong defensively while also being strong possession players capable of putting up some offense. Hopefully the added size between Simmonds and Vesey up front will also be helpful.

I'm honestly not even worried about losing Kap. I liked the guy, and I liked that he was Will's best friend.. but other than his PK skills, occasional big hit, and skating, he won't be missed.

The guy had the worst defensive impact of any forward on the entire team (other than Shore), and unlike Tavares & Hyman who also had almost equally bad defensive impacts last season, he ALSO had a horrible offensive impact, only trailing Shore, Gauthier, Moore and Clifford. His 5v5 play overall should not be missed.

I still can't believe Dubas got 15th OA and Hallander for him.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Vesey had a strong defensive impact based on xGA last season, and Kerfoot was almost average last season with a broken face/not playing C all season (after being one of the best defensive players in the league in Colorado in 2018-19). I suspect those two will be a very strong but unsexy defensive pair for our third line. The trick is getting someone with them that can help push play, but also keep that defensive goodness. For me it's Anderson.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Our 3rd line sucked last year with Kap and Johnsson. So I mean I don't exactly have a problem totally overhauling it. Doesn't work out it goes from bad to...bad? Alright.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Vesey is headed straight to the marlies.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Barabanov Kerfoot Simmonds
Robertson Spezza Anderson
Engvall

Reactions: ottomaddox

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON

Hyman Matthews Marner
Engvall
That's not even remotely set in stone. Vesey could be sent down if things don't work out but he is more likely envisioned to be a part of the top-9 and that doesn't change until someone outplays him in camp.

Reactions: The Iceman

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Outside of Brodie what has happened that indicates it could be a turning point?
Better balanced bottom 6. Trading low IQ player in Kapanen. Depth at all positions. It's been good but probably more coming.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Outside of Brodie what has happened that indicates it could be a turning point?

I think having a legitimate partner for Rielly can be a huge turning point for us. If he can get back to a Norris contender we have a real shot at doing some major damage.

Losing depth on the 3rd line hurts but if we don’t get screwed by injuries I can see us as a lock for the playoffs and as a dark horse for the cup.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Hyman Matthews Marner
Engvall

A few of our guys do not have the 17 goal resume/upside that Vesey has. I could see him as high as 2nd line replacing SOUP

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Hyman Matthews Marner
Engvall

I agree with most of this accept I have my reservations with Mikheyev. I am not sure Keefe has his name penned in there. We still don't know what kind of player he is yet.

More like penciled in so he can erase it easily.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
BTWm we'll look back on this trade years from now as being just a brilliant one by Dubas. Kapanen had no buisiness being worth that.
Amirov and Hallandar? Damn...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
BTW we'll look back on this trade years from now as being just a brilliant one by Dubas. Kapanen had no buisiness being worth that.
Amirov and Hallandar? Damn...

When we look back on this trade years from now in the big picture it will look like this.

1) Trade Marleau + Leafs 1st #13OA (Seth Jarvis (F)) to free up $6.25 mil cap space.
2) Take that $6.5 mil recaptured cap space to resign Kapanen ($3.2 mil) + Johnsson ($3.4 mil).
3) Trade Kapanen for #15OA (Rodion Amirov (F)) + Filip Hallander & Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson.

Where Rodion Amirov & Filip Hallandar will be compared to Seth Jarvis and Kasperi Kapanen.

FWIW: Leafs gave up their own 1st (#13) to retain Kapanen, and then dealt Kapanen to regain a 1st (#15) back, which is essentially moving back 2 spots in the same draft class. So the player you drafted later has to be better than the one you passed up drafted earlier. ie the link between Amirov and Jarvis.

So it will come down to judging this trade overall by who has the better impactful NHL careers going forward Kapanen, Johnsson & Seth Jarvis OR Amirov, Hallandar and Joey Anderson.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Dubas signed Kapanen to that contract in the first place that he in your opinion had no business having. :wg:

When we look back on this trade years from now in the big picture it will look like this.

1) Trade Marleau + Leafs 1st #13OA (Seth Jarvis (F)) to free up $6.25 mil cap space.
2) Take that $6.5 mil recaptured cap space to resign Kapanen ($3.2 mil) + Johnsson ($3.4 mil).
3) Trade Kapanen for #15OA (Rodion Amirov (F)) + Filip Hallander & Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson.

Where Rodion Amirov & Filip Hallandar will be compared to Seth Jarvis and Kasperi Kapanen.

FWIW: Leafs gave up their own 1st (#13) to retain Kapanen, and then dealt Kapanen to regain a 1st (#15) back essentially move back 2 spots on the same draft class. So the player you drafted later has to be better than the one you passed up drafted earlier. ie the link between Amirov and Jarvis.

So it will come down to judging this trade overall by who has the better impactful NHL careers going forward Kapanen, Johnsson & Seth Jarvis OR Amirov, Hallandar and Joey Anderson.
I don't think you understand how trades work.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I don't think you understand how trades work.
He can't do anything that compliments Dubas so he has to resort to this.
Amirov and Hallander is just a fantastic return for Kapanen. I don't see any other trades recently with comparing players to Kapanen getting anything close to that.
It's rather funny that Leafs apparently have "No depth" due to paying 4 forwards 40 million, yet they traded their 3rd line winger for that haul so a team viewed as much better can use him on the 1st line.

Reactions: Metroid

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He can't do anything that compliments Dubas so he has to resort to this.
Amirov and Hallander is just a fantastic return for Kapanen. I don't see any other trades recently with comparing players to Kapanen getting anything close to that.
It's rather funny that Leafs apparently have "No depth" due to paying 4 forwards 40 million, yet they traded their 3rd line winger for that haul so a team viewed as much better can use him on the 1st line.
A top pairing D was given up for a 3rd round pick.

The Kapanen trade was stroke of wizardry.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020

Oh I agree. I think Vegas actually got worse this offseason. That was a joke. They also dumped Stastny.
No matter what Kapanen does we'll be delighted with this trade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It wasn’t lucky. Dubas got in front of things and made a good move.

It was definitely a move to take advantage of the uncertainty surrounding the league's economic climate at the time. I suspect if Dubas hadn't acted right away, the Kapanen return might have looked something like the Andreas Johnsson return.

As it stands, Hallander and Amirov have a real chance to help the Leafs rejuvenate as they enter their contending years, while I think investing in Kapanen so heavily has the chance to really cripple the Pens long term outlook.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think Vegas fell for their own hype. The delta between Pietrangelo and Schmidt isn't a Stanley Cup, and losing Stastny, while not a massive loss, undercuts their own architecture and ability to roll lines. Now they have a rather glaring hole at center that needs to be filled and the money they have locked into goaltending is just nasty.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I think Vegas fell for their own hype. The delta between Pietrangelo and Schmidt isn't a Stanley Cup, and losing Stastny, while not a massive loss, undercuts their own architecture and ability to roll lines. Now they have a rather glaring hole at center that needs to be filled and the money they have locked into goaltending is just nasty.
I'm actually pretty stunned that they are listed by many as the "Big winners" this offseason. I think they will be worse not better. Lehner is also going to miss a lot of time.
Leafs had a far better offseason.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020

Hyman Matthews Marner
Engvall
Robertson is not going to play on the 4th line,. He'll be on the Marlies. Vesey scored 17 goals with limited time in back to back years already.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm actually pretty stunned that they are listed by many as the "Big winners" this offseason. I think they will be worse not better. Lehner is also going to miss a lot of time.
Leafs had a far better offseason.

They essentially traded:

Stastny (low-end 2C) + Schmidt (good #3) for Pietrangelo (imo 4th best defenseman in hockey) + Lehner's new contract + 2022 3rd + 2022 4th + Carl Dahlstrom.

Sure it's definitely not what they wanted for a guy like Schmidt.... but worse? They have Glass to take over in the top-6, Krebs to potentially take over for Glass, but even then we're talking about arguably the 2nd best team in the league staying at worst status quo while Tampa hasn't been able to do a thing.

I wouldn't call them big winners, but they've navigated the cap relatively well. The Schmidt trade was a bust but it was the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA