Confirmed with Link: [TOR/PIT] RW Kapanen, D Lindgren, LW Aberg for '20 1st(15th), LW Rodrigues, C Hallander, D Warsofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Trade details:

To Pittsburgh
  • RW Kasperi Kapanen
  • D Jesper Lindgren
  • LW Pontus Aberg
To Toronto
  • 2020 Rd 1 pick (15 overall)
  • LW Evan Rodrigues
  • C Filip Hallander
  • D David Warsofsky

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I like this move.

It frees a little salary to go after the top 4 d we need to replace (hopefully improve upon) Barrie, and gives us more of the potential cheap young talent we'll need to keep recycling through to win with this core long term.

Hymen, Robertson & Johnsson are a decent stable of guys to play with the big boys up front anyway.

Plus, selfishly, I love the draft and this will make the off-season more interesting - time to start looking at some of the guys who could be available at 15.

Reactions: Its not your fault

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I like this move.

It frees a little salary to go after the top 4 d we need to replace (hopefully improve upon) Barrie, and gives us the potential cheap young talent we'll need to keep recycling through to win with this core long term.

Hymen, Robertson & Johnsson are a decent stable of guys to play with the big boys up front anyway.

Plus, selfishly, I love the draft and this will make the off-season more interesting - time to start looking at some of the guys who could be available at 15.
Don't get too attached to Johnsson IMO.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Trading Kappy is a good thing, Kerfoot should be next and Johnsson as well. These are 3 players who can score but their value beyond the goals and assists is minimal. They brought nothing to the playoffs/qualifier series and were totally overwhelmed by any line Columbus played against them. I wouldn't describe them as doggedly determined but rather as excitedly opportunistic, not able to create opportunities but willingly able to act when opportunity presents itself. Their brand of hockey isn't a winning formula and very definitely not playoff worthy.

TO is now negotiating with Mikheyev who I feel is the same type of player as Kappy, he's not a 3 mil. player and I don't feel he's a 2 mil. player, I hope Dube doesn't overpay him as well.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Manson and Comtois for Johnsson and #15?
That’s too much from the Leafs.
Maybe Bc I have not seen Comotis played since WJC but just looking at his stats, he is being hyped up way too much.
Manson and Comotis for 15 and Engvall seems more fair, at least to me.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don’t think that the Leafs are all that worse of a team without Kapanen. In terms of experience sure, but Robertson proved he belonged on the big club in the Jackets series, being a more than adequate replacement for an injured Johnsson. This trade basically switches who Robertson comes in for between Kapanen and Johnsson.

Also there’s like 4 months before next season so there’s plenty of time to find improvements.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That’s too much from the Leafs.
Maybe Bc I have not seen Comotis played since WJC but just looking at his stats, he is being hyped up way too much.
Manson and Comotis for 15 and Engvall seems more fair, at least to me.
Johnsson goes for the cap needed to take Manson. The Leafs couldn't do a Manson trade without sending back significant salary, and Engvall's salary won't be enough.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Trading Kappy is a good thing, Kerfoot should be next and Johnsson as well. These are 3 players who can score but their value beyond the goals and assists is minimal. They brought nothing to the playoffs/qualifier series and were totally overwhelmed by any line Columbus played against them. I wouldn't describe them as doggedly determined but rather as excitedly opportunistic, not able to create opportunities but willingly able to act when opportunity presents itself. Their brand of hockey isn't a winning formula and very definitely not playoff worthy.

TO is now negotiating with Mikheyev who I feel is the same type of player as Kappy, he's not a 3 mil. player and I don't feel he's a 2 mil. player, I hope Dube doesn't overpay him as well.

Soup showed a lot of promise before his wrist injury, and never really got back to form after...yep, hopefully Dubas gets him on a good bridge deal and he impresses next season.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Johnsson goes for the cap needed to take Manson. The Leafs couldn't do a Manson trade without sending back significant salary, and Engvall's salary won't be enough.
That’s true but I am assuming there will be a separate deal for AJ with another team.

Reactions: saffronleaf and kb

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Mirtle:

He also moved out a player the organization had grown tired of, both on the ice and off. Some teams that were initially interested in Kapanen decided against the deal after digging a little deeper into some of that. But the Leafs still had plenty of suitors for him much of the year, given his package of size and speed. That interest was enough that the futures bundle became what it did.

Reactions: Lauro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad