Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Pierre Engvall signs extension (2 years, $1.25M AAV)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Unless the cap rises dramatically this offseason, the Leafs are going to have to go into next year in a similar precarious cap position as this one. Having Engvall at $1.25m means you're going to have to budget for him to be there regardless of how he plays, and takes away $300-$500k that could be spent on more known commodities.

This extension does literally the exact opposite of what you're suggesting. It doesn't contribute to a "precarious cap position" for next year, it just gives them the option to improve their cap position by trading one of Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot and having a ready-made, in-house replacement making ~$2 million less.

This gives them nine forwards under contract for 2020-21. There are still forward spots available for "bargain bin UFA" additions next year. This doesn't prevent any of those moves, it just gives them more options to work with.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Guy has played 35 games, sure he has had a great start but he has cooled off considerably. Hey I like him too but we have already overpaid on three other stars (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) and it’s not like we have a ton of cap space. 250K here and there could be huge.

Your response is like I just insulted your mom or kicked your puppy. Just being realistic is all.

You got to be kidding me Nylander overpaid...... His contract looks real good.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
One can only hope. So overrated. Overpaid by 1.5-2 mil a year. We need that cap space.

If anything, I feel like AJ is underrated at this point. He's a very good player.

You are right that we do need to move some cap out of the forward position, though, and while I think that AJ is the better overall player, I also think Kappy fits better with the team makeup and Kerfoot is more versatile in playing C or W. I think Johnsson is the logical choice to move.

Seconded.

Thirded. If Spezza wants another contract here, he's more than earned it IMO.

Mind you, it'd have to cheap obviously. We don't have much cap. :laugh:

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Spezza will not be back, he's too slow. Also you have Nylander on both lines and no AJ or Kapanen.

If Spezza wants to come back for the same same money, 100% he will be back. I meant to have Kapanen on the third line and Johnsson traded. I'm not sure how you were able to quote the original post at 9pm as I had edited it at 10:30am

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Likely so...I'm just not necessarily convinced that after 30 or so NHL games, he's "worth" committing real cap dollars to.

At the end of the day, the downside obviously isn't huge, it just limits some of the flexibility the Leafs may want up front.

I also question, if this wasn't the Leafs, would he be thrilled to get an $900k one-way deal?

Here's the thing. The point of this is to sign him before he proves he is worth more. It's a risk with almost no downside, because at worst, he's affordable as a checking 4th line winger.

However, if he improves, the Leafs have a steal.

Waiting until he puts up a big season means the Leafs have to pay more.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
You got to be kidding me Nylander overpaid...... His contract looks real good.

What is Pasta Making? How good did that 6.9 million last year look. Seriously it looks great now that he is having a career year.

Remeber this was signed last year based on performance of a rookie coming out with two 61 point campaigns and never scoring more that 30. Pasta had scored more than 61 points and scored more that 30.

Its was 300-400K too much at the time.

Why is it that our young up and coming players deserve more than any other player on the other 30 teams.

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
What is Pasta Making? How good did that 6.9 million last year look. Seriously it looks great now that he is having a career year.

Remeber this was signed last year based on performance of a rookie coming out with two 61 point campaigns and never scoring more that 30. Pasta had scored more than 61 points and scored more that 30.

Why is it that our young up and coming players deserve more than any other player on the other 30 teams.

I love it when people use one of the best contacts in the league to use as a comparison to win a salary debate.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

There might be 2 good contracts in the entire league if you are going to use Pastranak as the bar. It's stupid and unrealistic.

Reactions: Nizdizzle and Kelly

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
There might be 2 good contracts in the entire league if you are going to use Pastranak as the bar. It's stupid and unrealistic.

When Nylander’s contract negotiations where happening most media pundits looked at Ehlers and Pasta as comparables when contract negotiations where happening.

It’s not stupid and unrealistic it what the GM is paid the big bucks to do.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
When Nylander’s contract negotiations where happening most media pundits looked at Ehlers and Pasta as comparables when contract negotiations where happening.

And his contract is right around what Pastranak is being paid? Your going in circles. Just because Pasta has obscenely out played his contract doesnt make other contracts bad. It is ridiculous to suggest something like that

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Is Pastrnak overpaid because he's a winger who put up around 80 points the last two seasons while MacKinnon is a center making less who put up nearly 100 the last two seasons?

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
that would be nice, let's try that
And his contract is right around what Pastranak is being paid? Your going in circles. Just because Pasta has obscenely out played his contract doesnt make other contracts bad. It is ridiculous to suggest something like that

Really I am going in circles with my logic because I believe Nylander is paid 300-500K too much.

Pasta signed a 6.66 contract one year before Nylander did. He just scored 34 goals and 70 points. EHlers signs a 6x7 and had scored 60 points with 29 goals in that contract year. Yet Nylander who never scored more than 22 and 61 points should get 6.9 per one year later than a Pasta and the same year as Ehlers yet get 50% of it in signing bonus?

I am glad your not the GM of the leafs. Dubas did a terrible job in negotiating these contracts. Upfront money is also a sticking point. Present value of cash is worth more than future value.

If you don’t think dollars and cents matter in a hard cap system then you’re out to L#*$h. Is it the worst contract he has handed out no, it’s actually decent but the dollars keep adding up and we have already seen what having no cap space can do to our personnel (goalie situation).

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Really I am going in circles with my logic because I believe Nylander is paid 300-500K too much.

Pasta signed a 6.66 contract one year before Nylander did. He just scored 34 goals and 70 points. EHlers signs a 6x7 and had scored 60 points with 29 goals in that contract year. Yet Nylander who never scored more than 22 and 61 points should get 6.9 per one year later than a Pasta and the same year as Ehlers yet get 50% of it in signing bonus?

I am glad your not the GM of the leafs. Dubas did a terrible job in negotiating these contracts. Upfront money is also a sticking point. Present value of cash is worth more than future value.

If you don’t think dollars and cents matter in a hard cap system then you’re out to L#*$h. Is it the worst contract he has handed out no, it’s actually decent but the dollars keep adding up and we have already seen what having no cap space can do to our personnel (goalie situation).
You are arguing a point I literally never made. When did I ever say dollars and cents don't matter? I think I am just going to let you keep chasing your tail here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think any deals that involve young players for less than $1.5 million should be too concerning for anyone.

Best case scenario, it's a steal if he plays like a 3rd liner or better. Moderate case scenario, he performs like a 3rd/4th line tweener. Worst case scenario, you've got a low salary taking up barely any cap space for a player who is a healthy scratch/injury call-up.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There is literally nothing to complain about with this contract.
I would be very surprised if @The Winter Soldier doesn't or hasn't already found something to slag the Leafs over this signing.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm always amazed at his takes.

Who knows -- maybe he will like this and give Kyle Dubas some credit for this signing?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
when did I ever say Pasta was overpaid. Learn to read.
Excuse me, I read at a fifth-grade level, thank you very much.

But while we're suggesting improvements, maybe you could work on comprehension of abstract thought processes. Might help you realise I basically just took your post, re-worded it a bit and changed the names.

Pastrnak became MacKinnon, Nylander became Pastrnak, and you became a ballerina as you tried to pirouette your way out of that one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Most media pundits dont put much effort into their hot takes

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
His foot speed is not NHL tier. Watch any of the last 10 games you will see him lose his man in transition or basically any play along the half wall.

lol, FU. I saw the thread on the mainboard and thought it was a new Toronto signing (Muzzin). I got really excited for a second

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad