Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Pierre Engvall signs extension (2 years, $1.25M AAV)

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It's basically nickels more than max ELC money...can a guy like Engvall really be overpaid at 1.25?

The question is...given that the Leaf are cap-strapped, can they get the same level of performance if they go to the bargain bin of UFAs at $700k like they did this year.

The fact that the Marlies play down the road, they practice down the hall, and that Toronto's lineup has superstars up top makes for a very desirable destination for these borderline UFAs.

Engvall at $1.25m is going to impact the cap even if he doesn't make next year's team

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The question is...given that the Leaf are cap-strapped, can they get the same level of performance if they go to the bargain bin of UFAs at $700k like they did this year.

The fact that the Marlies play down the road, they practice down the hall, and that Toronto's lineup has superstars up top makes for a very desirable destination for these borderline UFAs.

Engvall at $1.25m is going to impact the cap even if he doesn't make next year's team
They will be moving at least 1 of Kap/AJ/Kerfoot will be moved, Engvall is here to stay.

Reactions: Ciao

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Solid deal. Every time I watch the Leafs I come away impressed with Engvall especially considering he came out of nowhere (for a neutral observer). He looks like a potential 2nd liner to me.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
They will be moving at least 1 of Kap/AJ/Kerfoot will be moved, Engvall is here to stay.
Likely so...I'm just not necessarily convinced that after 30 or so NHL games, he's "worth" committing real cap dollars to.

At the end of the day, the downside obviously isn't huge, it just limits some of the flexibility the Leafs may want up front.

I also question, if this wasn't the Leafs, would he be thrilled to get an $900k one-way deal?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Oh **** right off with that ish.

Guy has played 35 games, sure he has had a great start but he has cooled off considerably. Hey I like him too but we have already overpaid on three other stars (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) and it’s not like we have a ton of cap space. 250K here and there could be huge.

Your response is like I just insulted your mom or kicked your puppy. Just being realistic is all.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Likely so...I'm just not necessarily convinced that after 30 or so NHL games, he's "worth" committing real cap dollars to.

At the end of the day, the downside obviously isn't huge, it just limits some of the flexibility the Leafs may want up front.

I also question, if this wasn't the Leafs, would he be thrilled to get an $900k one-way deal?

? why would he take less than his current salary?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
What a surprise Engvall's been this year. Moved himself into the Leafs' long-term plans and is already a permanent fixture in the top 9 as a rookie on a stacked forward group. He will probably be Kerfoot/Johnsson's replacement next season and can play C, which gives the team a lot of options.

Expected the cap hit to be around 2mill, so this is great value. Poor man's Kreider.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016

I'm sure your opinion is "worth" about zero cents on the topic. I fail to see how having a young, fast, skilled player signed to a cheap deal limits any flexibility for the Leafs. If anything this improves flexibility because he makes less than other Leaf forwards but contributes just as much, meaning he could replace one of the more expensive players to clear up cap space or he could easily be flipped for a pick.

Reactions: Ciao

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Would any fanbase not like this contract? Hes been a pro for years and has continually gotten better. I'm much more scared of what he could demand when this contract expires. I wouldn't be shocked if he was a 60 point player in a few years.

Reactions: LFCTML

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
Guy has played 35 games, sure he has had a great start but he has cooled off considerably. Hey I like him too but we have already overpaid on three other stars (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) and it’s not like we have a ton of cap space. 250K here and there could be huge.

Your response is like I just insulted your mom or kicked your puppy. Just being realistic is all.

You know what, you're absolutely right. I read it as a cynical, never happy with anything type of comment, but that was ignorant of me. My comment was just as cynical as the one I thought I was harping on. My bad dude, I misjudged that one.

For the record, my mom punted my puppy off of a bridge yesterday, I was very insulted....o_O

Reactions: Funk21

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
? why would he take less than his current salary?

Because he's currently on a two-way deal where if he ends up in the AHL, he makes a fraction of it.

I'm sure your opinion is "worth" about zero cents on the topic. I fail to see how having a young, fast, skilled player signed to a cheap deal limits any flexibility for the Leafs. If anything this improves flexibility because he makes less than other Leaf forwards but contributes just as much, meaning he could replace one of the more expensive players to clear up cap space or he could easily be flipped for a pick.

It's $500k more than a replacement level player, and $300k more than the cap exemption if he gets sent down.

Unless the cap rises dramatically this offseason, the Leafs are going to have to go into next year in a similar precarious cap position as this one. Having Engvall at $1.25m means you're going to have to budget for him to be there regardless of how he plays, and takes away $300-$500k that could be spent on more known commodities.

Would any fanbase not like this contract? Hes been a pro for years and has continually gotten better. I'm much more scared of what he could demand when this contract expires. I wouldn't be shocked if he was a 60 point player in a few years.

In isolation, there's nothing wrong with the contract... it's in relation to what the Leafs cap constraints are, and the fact that there may be a situation next year where he gets outperformed by bargain bin UFAs.

Reactions: sparxx87

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Because he's currently on a two-way deal where if he ends up in the AHL, he makes a fraction of it.

It's $500k more than a replacement level player, and $300k more than the cap exemption if he gets sent down.

Unless the cap rises dramatically this offseason, the Leafs are going to have to go into next year in a similar precarious cap position as this one. Having Engvall at $1.25m means you're going to have to budget for him to be there regardless of how he plays, and takes away $300-$500k that could be spent on more known commodities.

In isolation, there's nothing wrong with the contract... it's in relation to what the Leafs cap constraints are, and the fact that there may be a situation next year where he gets outperformed by bargain bin UFAs.

? don’t they have to qualify him or let him walk? Minimum salary would be 1 year at just over a million.

he has arbitration rights. If he scores 10 goals and plays 60 games this season he clearly was getting. More.

So they get 1.25 x 2. He would be buried with 200k against the cap. He clearly isn’t getting buried. He would have to go on waivers. Just not happening.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Theres no way this is a bad deal. Even if he underperforms, hes tradeable.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

You can't count on someone like Spezza to happily take the minimum every year. Far more likely these bargain signings are guys like Aberg, players who won't outperform Engvall or come close to his upside. Engvall might develop into a centre and has very intriguing tools with his size, skating and shot. He's still got room to grow, unlike pretty much everyone you would find in the bargain bin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad