Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
There is no defenceman in the league worth a top centre
Especially a top 5 20 year old centre
Centre>>d

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
What's the plan? To win now in the next 5 years or latter or a combo of the two? Cause I understand all the Leafs trade proposals looking for a RD. Karlsson, Petry, Tanev. It will be interesting to see how patient the management will be allowing some of your young prospects to develop while you also try to win.
I think management will play this season out before making any big changes. Gives Liljegren another year of development in the AHL, Dermott gets another year of experience, Zaitsev has a chance to bounce back. Those could potentially be 3 important pieces for the Leafs blue line.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think management will play this season out before making any big changes. Gives Liljegren another year of development in the AHL, Dermott gets another year of experience, Zaitsev has a chance to bounce back. Those could potentially be 3 important pieces for the Leafs blue line.

Fair comment. I think that's the plan too. Acquiring that PMD on the right side might be something they explore at the deadline but I don't think they are desperate. All depends on how the season goes and how the young D develops. There are no guarantees one way or another (good development or stalled development). That current D is average at best. Remains to be seen if they stay average or take the next step and get into the top 10 in team defense.

Leafs scored 277 goals last year. Go look at each seasons leaders in the past few years and you will find that it's up their. Goal scoring is not the problem and won't be the problem. Preventing the goals in key parts of a close game will be the focus and the hurdle they need to overcome if they want to win a cup.

To be honest, I don't see them scoring that much more vs last year. The key is team defense and Babcock already knows this

Last edited:

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
First off, let me preface this by saying I'm not a fan of either team. As a matter of fact, I can't stand either team (esp. the Leafs.) However, here's a proposal that could potentially help both clubs.

TOR-Auston Matthews

for

OTT-Erik Karlsson

1-for-1.

Why Ottawa does this: They get a franchise center to help kick off their rebuild in exchange for their captain.

Why Toronto does this: They get a Norris Trophy winning defenceman and arguably best d-man in the National Hockey League, dealing from a position of strength to address their biggest need, instantly making them favourites to win the Stanley Cup!

So, who says "yes", and who says "no". And why? :naughty:

Toronto fans....give me a hell no

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
If we needed a center then this would totally make sense. However, since we don't, it doesn't.

The Leafs on the other hand, if they were to win the Stanley Cup with their current roster, would do so with arguably the weakest top-6 defence in the history of the National Hockey League.

Ya about that...the Pens Stanley Cup D last time out was much worse than the Leafs. Heck Hainsey, was a key player on that team too.

Mar 26, 2010
Karlsson is a stud, no questioning it...but Toronto is not trading Auston Matthews. I do not think there is a player in the NHL he would be traded for.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Karlsson is better then Matthews any day, and would be a huge piece for their D (They won’t win a cup until that’s improved) However neither team would go near this. Pointless thread tbh

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Karlsson is better then Matthews any day, and would be a huge piece for their D (They won’t win a cup until that’s improved) However neither team would go near this. Pointless thread tbh
If you don't think Ottawa would pull the trigger on this instantly I don't know what to say....

EK is a UFA in 1 bloody year while Matthews is still on his ELC and is like 8 years younger. It isn't even remotely close to fair value lol.

pretty much a guarantee at this point that EK will be leaving Ottawa and there isn't a thing they can really do to stop him if he wants to leave. Matthews on the other hand will be a RFA and under team control for a long time.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Is that dumb. How many Cups has Karlsson won? or playoff rounds. Same with Burns or Hedman. This fantasy that one good Dmen is going to raise the Leafs to the Cup is just silly.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
If you don't think Ottawa would pull the trigger on this instantly I don't know what to say....

EK is a UFA in 1 bloody year while Matthews is still on his ELC and is like 8 years younger. It isn't even remotely close to fair value lol.

pretty much a guarantee at this point that EK will be leaving Ottawa and there isn't a thing they can really do to stop him if he wants to leave. Matthews on the other hand will be a RFA and under team control for a long time.

They would only because of the position the team is in. I never said they wouldn’t, I said Karlsson is the better player

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Is that dumb. How many Cups has Karlsson won? or playoff rounds. Same with Burns or Hedman. This fantasy that one good Dmen is going to raise the Leafs to the Cup is just silly.

Im not even going to waste my time arguing this clueless and pointless comment......

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
They would only because of the position the team is in. I never said they wouldn’t, I said Karlsson is the better player
Any team in any position would take Matthews for EK because of age and control. You could just flip Matthews for an absolute crazy haul if your team for some reason doesn't need a young number 1 center.

You also said "However neither team would go near this" so ya it does seem like you were saying the Sens wouldn't accept this trade.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
They are not even in the bottom 10 of the league bad. Sure it’s not a good dcore, but people are acting like we’re the New York Islanders.

Meanwhile dcores like Calgary and Carolina are praised on HF and those two teams continue with **** efforts and inconsistent play.

Just a few of the 19 teams with a worse GAA than the Leafs last year:
Tampa
Washington
Calgary
Pittsburgh
Carolina

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ya....if only Matthews could have scored 5......:laugh:

Well he cost them the game in the end.

Karlsson got the better of him and set up Turris.

Matthews apologized in the post-game interview for his game-losing mistake and the talking heads were going on about how mature it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad