Proposal: TOR-OTT (Blockbuster)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2009
First off, let me preface this by saying I'm not a fan of either team. As a matter of fact, I can't stand either team (esp. the Leafs.) However, here's a proposal that could potentially help both clubs.

TOR-Auston Matthews

for

OTT-Erik Karlsson

1-for-1.

Why Ottawa does this: They get a franchise center to help kick off their rebuild in exchange for their captain.

Why Toronto does this: They get a Norris Trophy winning defenceman and arguably best d-man in the National Hockey League, dealing from a position of strength to address their biggest need, instantly making them favourites to win the Stanley Cup!

So, who says "yes", and who says "no". And why? :naughty:

Last edited:

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
First off, let me preface this by saying I'm not a fan of either team. As a matter of fact, I can't stand either team (esp. the Leafs.) However, here's a proposal that could potentially help both clubs.

TOR-Auston Matthews

for

OTT-Erik Karlsson

1-for-1.

Why Ottawa does this: They get a franchise center to help kick off their rebuild in exchange for their captain.

Why Toronto does this: They get a Norris Trophy winning defenceman and arguably best d-man in the National Hockey League, dealing from a position of strength to address their biggest need, instantly making them favourites to win the Stanley Cup!

So, who says "yes", and who says "no". And why? :naughty:

Not a chance from Toronto, as I'm sure you knew when you made this

Sep 13, 2009
Hanifin for Matt Duchene!

If we needed a center then this would totally make sense. However, since we don't, it doesn't.

The Leafs on the other hand, if they were to win the Stanley Cup with their current roster, would do so with arguably the weakest top-6 defence in the history of the National Hockey League.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
If we needed a center then this would totally make sense. However, since we don't, it doesn't.

The Leafs on the other hand, if they were to win the Stanley Cup with their current roster, would do so with arguably the weakest top-6 defence in the history of the National Hockey League.

Thanks for your concern JFF, but you can forget any further proposals you have involving the Leafs

Cerephoros

Jul 5, 2018
No
I wouldn't trade Matthews for a singed Karlsson , Hes to detrimental to our core

A detrimental to your core? The only thing I can agree is that Karlsson straight up does not equal Matthews but you’re making it sound like Karlsson is a top 4 defenseman at best when he’d carry the back line for 27+ mins a night to your back line and be an absolute force every minute especially with Tavares on the ice. You think Rielly or Gardiner could do what Karlsson does? Don’t pretend that Toronto’s current top 4 D can hold a candle to Karlsson’s skills.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
yeah the leafs say NO WAY to an extended Karlsson for Matthews
Karlsson as a pending UFA for a 21 year old franchise 1C? they laugh for days

lock er' up mods!

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
A detrimental to your core? The only thing I can agree is that Karlsson straight up does not equal Matthews but you’re making it sound like Karlsson is a top 4 defenseman at best when he’d carry the back line for 27+ mins a night to your back line and be an absolute force every minute especially with Tavares on the ice. You think Rielly or Gardiner could do what Karlsson does? Don’t pretend that Toronto’s current top 4 D can hold a candle to Karlsson’s skills.
Matthews brings in franchise centres. Karlsson scares away top line wingers.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Leaf fans say no before their magaement does. I don't see why they'd do this. But if you try to look at it subjectively, they are 7 years apart (a lot) but many of these defensemen usually hit their primes later. Karlsson is already in his prime as of 2 years ago and Matthews is probably hitting his this year or next.

This trade would never happen but the leafs would be trading a few more years so Matthews (10+15 years from now) for a little bit better of a chance to win in the next 5 years.

They would trade Nylander++ or Marner+ well before thinking about dealing Matthews. And rightfully so.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
This proposal is bad, and you should feel bad for suggesting it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Leaf fans say no before their magaement does. I don't see why they'd do this. But if you try to look at it subjectively, they are 7 years apart (a lot) but many of these defensemen usually hit their primes later. Karlsson is already in his prime as of 2 years ago and Matthews is probably hitting his this year or next.

This trade would never happen but the leafs would be trading a few more years so Matthews (10+15 years from now) for a little bit better of a chance to win in the next 5 years.

They would trade Nylander++ or Marner+ well before thinking about dealing Matthews. And rightfully so.

I doubt very much the Leafs would trade Marner for Karlsson, never mind adding to him.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
E9QWY00.gif

Reactions: 7even

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Waaay back in the day it took Owen Nolan to get Sandis Ozilinsh. Now he was on offensive D not near as good as Karlson but Owen Nolan was a first line winger like Marner.
This trade would never happen for Mathews but the value isn't as far off as people may think it is.
Karlson for Marner straight up is very interesting.
Its not quite like the Seth Jones for Ryan Johanes deal mostly because of age and cost control factors, but still interesting.
It would be incredibly ballzy from a leafs perspective but Karlson on that leafs team with Matthews and JT man that would be a pretty good squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad