Proposal: TOR-OTT (Blockbuster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 147413

This is how I see the Leafs D needs.... Talking about Stanley cup contending D here. Not a troll attempt, just an honest opinion from the outside looking in.

Rielly / Zaitsev
???? / ????
Dermott / Hainsey

Currently, your top 4D includes Hainsey and Gardiner. This is the problem. Hainsey should be on the 3rd pairing and Gardiner needs to go. He makes critical mistakes at key points in the game in his own end and it kills team confidence and momentum.

Hope vs Reality. Babcock can only do so much with that D group. It has two holes IMO. Won't be a problem scoring goals against the average teams but once you face a team like Tampa, they have the ability to shut you down and they will burn you with their offense cause they are going up against an average D.

Caps won with a average D ish... They were deadly on the PP. That would be the Leafs only chance to win. Have a PP similar to the Caps.
Leafs core is very young and we have a lot of promising D prospects.

I agree Hainsey is a 3rd pair D, but who’s to say the others don’t develop and take big steps forward? Dermott is a realistic 2nd pair protectable dman. Zaitsev in a bad year was still a serviceable Top 4. Rielly is a top pair dman, arguable #1. Gardiner is a Top 3 dman despite some misplays and shortcomings. Carrick is looking to take a big step and we also have tones of depth fighting for spots in, Oz, Rosen, Borgman, Holl, Marincin etc.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Can’t see either team wanting this in the first place... although Toronto’s D needs some work. Still, although I’d prefer Karlsson any day over Matthews in the long run it won’t help

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs core is very young and we have a lot of promising D prospects.

I agree Hainsey is a 3rd pair D, but who’s to say the others don’t develop and take big steps forward? Dermott is a realistic 2nd pair protectable dman. Zaitsev in a bad year was still a serviceable Top 4. Rielly is a top pair dman, arguable #1. Gardiner is a Top 3 dman despite some misplays and shortcomings. Carrick is looking to take a big step and we also have tones of depth fighting for spots in, Oz, Rosen, Borgman, Holl, Marincin etc.

What's the plan? To win now in the next 5 years or latter or a combo of the two? Cause I understand all the Leafs trade proposals looking for a RD. Karlsson, Petry, Tanev. It will be interesting to see how patient the management will be allowing some of your young prospects to develop while you also try to win.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Post injury Karlsson may never reach the level of pre-injury Karlsson. Right now he's a big question mark and trading Marner for him is a risk not worth taking. That's without even considering salary cap implications.

Sooooo what you're saying is that you didn't watch Karlsson once in the 2nd half of the season. Very well.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't understand why this thread is still open. Leafs wouldn't trade away their best player.
So you weren't being sarcastic. I'm not saying this trade should or would ever happen. But it's only a matter of time before you have to give to get. You can horde a monstrous top six all you want, but eventually someone is going to have to be moved out to strengthen the defense.

Trading Mathews for the best defenseman in the league, in his prime, when the team is clearly in a win now mode doesn't, in my mind, seem completely unrealistic.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So you weren't being sarcastic. I'm not saying this trade should or would ever happen. But it's only a matter of time before you have to give to get. You can horde a monstrous top six all you want, but eventually someone is going to have to be moved out to strengthen the defense.

Trading Mathews for the best defenseman in the league, in his prime, when the team is clearly in a win now mode doesn't, in my mind, seem completely unrealistic.

Give your mind a shake IMO.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Ugh..yes I was being sarcastic. Thought that didn't need to be said.

Matthews' value is much higher than Karlsson's. Anyone not named McDavid would be met with a quick no.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Toronto obviously declines. As good as ek is, you don't trade a 20 year old 2 way center with team control coming off back to back 30 goal seasons (one with injury) with potential to put up 40+ before he's 25. Once you factor in ek has 1 year and ufa status after plus his injury seemed to slow him down this season it turns from a polite no to a hard no.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Wow... this is 1 of the better trade offers ive seen on the forums in a while.

Pros:
Leafs fix their defense and become a legit cup threat.
Nylander can move to center, so then when the leaf fans call him a center hes actually playing center
With nylander playing center, kapanen can become the superstar hes claimed to be
Brown would have added duty, so he might actually become a 30 goal scorer.
Johnasson would likely slip into the line up as an easy 50 point guy

I actually don't see any problems with this proposal... grats original poster.... er assuming karlsson will resign with Toronto
Shocked there aren't more likes on this post.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If we needed a center then this would totally make sense. However, since we don't, it doesn't.

The Leafs on the other hand, if they were to win the Stanley Cup with their current roster, would do so with arguably the weakest top-6 defence in the history of the National Hockey League.

You have quite a short memory seeing as Pittsburgh did it with probably a worse group two years ago

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Pure value you can make an argument, but c'mon, this is like trading McDavid/Eichel/MacKinnon. You would need a massive overpayment to get any of these three. Same with Matthews.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So the competing offers for Karlsson are...

Foote + 1st
Some B level prospects and a 1st from Dallas

and that made you think Auston Matthews was a good escalation?

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018

Without Matthews we aren't in a win now mode anymore.

Period.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
The difference being that Nolan and Ozolinsh were 6 months apart, not 7 years. They also weren’t trading up to 9 years of control of Nolan for 1 year of Ozolinsh.
Fair I was just trying to be less harsh on the OP and "try" to see some value. Still i get it cap ear cost control balanced against window at winning a cup. Not a great proposal, in the end

Reactions: Elephanto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad