Proposal: TOR-NYR

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Live shot of OP after he hit post reply:
vh_i4rn_59EuFJmG5ZDpeezaoBOAVx5lxFMTGToauUg.gif

This is going to be a rough one bud. Keep your head up.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Georgiev/Shestyorkin are the Rangers future tandom(Woll is a downgrade on both) How does Woll have pedigree as a 3rd rounder? :laugh:
Strome straight up for Kerfoot. But I think the Ranger will re-sign him or sell very high at the deadline

Reactions: Kupo

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
On behalf of the Leaf fan base I am sorry for the horrible proposal. If you were to trade Georgiev what would it realistically take? (and I think you should keep him, because for me he is the next great goaltender).

Until Shestyorkin demonstrates his worth in the NHL, it will take an overpayment to get Georgiev. The Rangers need a 1LD and an overhaul of the bottom-six, but the latter is more of an offseason issue, and obviously no goaltender will return a quality top-four defenseman. At this point the best option for the Rangers is to sit pat on goaltending and foster internal competition for the starting spot.

A second round pick or a pick and a prospect doesn’t compensate on NY’s end for the loss of a quality young net-minder coming off an ELC.

As for the original proposal, it just doesn’t make sense for the Rangers to hedge their bets on Georgiev’s growth and future value in exchange for filling a position that is amendable via free agency.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
On behalf of the Leaf fan base I am sorry for the horrible proposal. If you were to trade Georgiev what would it realistically take? (and I think you should keep him, because for me he is the next great goaltender).
His value is realistically higher on NY than what a team would likely give up in a trade for him.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers have depth issues for now and Kerfoot is hurt so doesn't help them.

And they're under no obligation to trade Georgiev or Shestyorkin who don't have equal value as one is basically the Rangers true #1 starter (don't let the Thursday game fool you) while the other hasn't played a minute of regular season on NHL hockey and that gamble wouldn't help the Leafs now.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I would accept that over payment, but I wouldn't do a 2nd and 3rd. :thumbu:
Thanks dude! It was a real pleasure chatting with you! I have been seeking an answer to this question from a long time. And by the way if we look at how the Leafs spend their firsts - giving one for Georgiev would be the best spent one from a long time. :D

Reactions: egelband and Kupo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

We would prefer to trade him outside of conference, but can be flexible if enuf on the table.

We have enuf Gs, would only take a scrub as a freebie throw in so we would have someone to expose in the exp draft.

To answer your ?, Rangers 2020 2nd likely to go CAR, hence not available.
So it would be something like
Geo, Smith and 2021 2nd
for
2020 1st [top 15 protected] OR 2021 1st unprotected (depends on who Canes take based on where leafs finish)
Liljigren
Barrie 2.7 + Marincin .7, expiring

that should be cap balanced

That gives NY enuf in futures, Leafs get young netminder
Leafs get some tufness
NY get cap relief w/reduced cap hits.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
We would prefer to trade him outside of conference, but can be flexible if enuf on the table.

We have enuf Gs, would only take a scrub as a freebie throw in so we would have someone to expose in the exp draft.

To answer your ?, Rangers 2020 2nd likely to go CAR, hence not available.
So it would be something like
Geo, Smith and 2021 2nd
for
2020 1st [top 15 protected] OR 2021 1st unprotected (depends on who Canes take based on where leafs finish)
Liljigren
Barrie 2.7 + Marincin .7, expiring

that should be cap balanced

That gives NY enuf in futures, Leafs get young netminder
Leafs get some tufness
NY get cap relief w/reduced cap hits.
If I was Dubas I would do this trade! I am not familiar with Smith, but he has 1-2 years left, so we can manage him. In Georgiev I see a future starter, who can replace Freddy, so for me it's worth the gamble. At this point I am willing to give away Barrie and Marincin for free, despite that Barrie still has value. Liljigren is the big question mark here, but so far his development has hit a wall, so anything can happen. I really like the thought you put in this trade. Regarding the first, I would personally give a first for Georgiev (despite still unproven) and the second coming back is quite nice. Thanks, dude! :)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If I was Dubas I would do this trade! I am not familiar with Smith, but he has 1-2 years left, so we can manage him. In Georgiev I see a future starter, who can replace Freddy, so for me it's worth the gamble. At this point I am willing to give away Barrie and Marincin for free, despite that Barrie still has value. Liljigren is the big question mark here, but so far his development has hit a wall, so anything can happen. I really like the thought you put in this trade. Regarding the first, I would personally give a first for Georgiev (despite still unproven) and the second coming back is quite nice. Thanks, dude! :)

You're welcome!

I think w/Geo you are getting someone who is not immune to the bad game here and there, which should diminish over time esp w/better defense, and on the hand, has enough indiv talent to stone cold stonewall teams as good as the Leafs.

Smith is versatile grit and not much else.
Overpaid at 4.35 x 2 and not worth the 2nd + 3rd we paid for him.

Lefty shot, plays either D or 4th line LW.
Scrappy but not much else. Stopgap grit, but deal is balanced.
Lilj on paper has way more upside, yet can't crack the lineup.
So on that end of it, it's an underperformer for a possible bust, or maybe swap of two lower end guys.

Rest of Leafs and Rangers fans?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
You're welcome!

I think w/Geo you are getting someone who is not immune to the bad game here and there, which should diminish over time esp w/better defense, and on the hand, has enough indiv talent to stone cold stonewall teams as good as the Leafs.

Smith is versatile grit and not much else.
Overpaid at 4.35 x 2 and not worth the 2nd + 3rd we paid for him.

Lefty shot, plays either D or 4th line LW.
Scrappy but not much else. Stopgap grit, but deal is balanced.
Lilj on paper has way more upside, yet can't crack the lineup.
So on that end of it, it's an underperformer for a possible bust, or maybe swap of two lower end guys.

Rest of Leafs and Rangers fans?
Yeah Smith is now known as Mr Versatility and hasn’t done badly in the role, PK D and 4RW.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
While this particular offer doesn't move the needle for me, I can already sense that Rangers fans are going to overestimate the value of goaltenders just like they did with Talbot. We ended up getting belly button lint for Talbot.

If we ended up with a low 1st or something of equivalent value for Georgiev, I'd throw a party.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Kerfoot, Woll for Georgiev/Shestyorkin, Strome @50%

Leafs get a competent backup, and a rental 3C.

Rangers get a 3C with term to replace Strome and a younger goalie with pedigree.
Does nothing for the Rangers. They give up the better players and get to retain on Strome?

You’re basically offering the Rangers lesser versions of what they already have.

Last edited:
Reactions: slg1963
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
While this particular offer doesn't move the needle for me, I can already sense that Rangers fans are going to overestimate the value of goaltenders just like they did with Talbot. We ended up getting belly button lint for Talbot.

If we ended up with a low 1st or something of equivalent value for Georgiev, I'd throw a party.

You’re probably right. But these are other fan bases coming to ask about them. And, as the Rangers are in no need/rush to move them, asking for an overpayment is reasonable. I don’t see Ranger fans offering one of them up for outrageous demands.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad