Confirmed Trade: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam [MOD 217, 345]

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Like, I hate the Islanders, unlike some Devils fans who kind of have them as a distant second or third favorite team. And even I'm starting to sympathize here.

I've been skeptical of Lou for 5 years now, which included his last 2 or 3 years with the Devils. I really thought he was mostly a figurehead in Toronto, as a lot of what they were doing early on seemed to be the antithesis of what Lou believed in and ultimately what cost him his job as GM of the Devils in the end. I did always think there were signs pointing to what moves were his and what moves he had no control over, and the Matt Martin signing always screamed Lou to me and this really confirms it.

They really should have asked Toronto to send them Calvin Pickard for taking on Matt Martin, but that was before they signed Lehner today. Up until these last couple days with guys like Beagle and Roussel, Matt Martin had the worst small money/small term contract in the league. I really am starting to believe that Lou is a double agent and either works for Toronto still or works for the Devils still and is getting paid under the table by one of them, while getting paid on the books to be the Islanders GM. Because what he's done the last couple days really seems like someone that's either trying to help out the Leafs or trying to help out the Devils or another Metro team, by trying to sabotage the Islanders from within. That's gotta be the case at this point.

I don't blame him for Tavares, as he only got here a minute ago and he did offer Tavares more than what the Leafs did, but his other moves have been terrible. Lehner was the best goalie available on the free agent market, so I think that was a good move. You can't have Thomas Greiss be #1 on your team's goalie depth chart, but everything else has been embarrassingly bad.

Honestly, Martin is a decent player and a great teammate. This was a good pickup by Lou for 2 more years.

Giving Komarov that much money and term though...that one is a puzzler.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This obviously makes sense for the Leafs - Martin wasn’t going to play much, and cap space is key for us. But I think it makes sense for the Isles too, Martin always played well there, and is a fan favourite. If you’re gonna play him, then his cap hit is fine.

Leafs are indeed gonna have to add a bit of toughness, but that can be done in further moves.
ummm . . . maybe some of the guys will just have to fight their own fights, just like Bobby Orr and Peter Mahovlich

or Bobby Orr and Pat Quinn

Bobby Orr vs Pat Quinn

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA89fuARoiI

and Rosaire Paiement

and Keith Magnuson

etc etc etc

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Islanders are now probably the most physical team in NHL. Rangers are likely the softest. I think it will get ugly.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly, Martin is a decent player and a great teammate. This was a good pickup by Lou for 2 more years.

A decent player? I think he's an awful player. Great teammate? Perhaps he is, but this is a business and you can't be trading for a crappy contract like that just because a guy is a ''Great teammate''.

And as bad as Komarov is, the only thing I see worse about him than Matt Martin is the fact that he's now signed two years longer than Martin is, but that is essentially the same contract Martin got two years ago. Martin had a lower AAV due to cap being lower. Komarov's is higher due to cap inflation.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
A decent player? I think he's an awful player. Great teammate? Perhaps he is, but this is a business and you can't be trading for a crappy contract like that just because a guy is a ''Great teammate''.

And as bad as Komarov is, the only thing I see worse about him than Matt Martin is the fact that he's now signed two years longer than Martin is, but that is essentially the same contract Martin got two years ago. Martin had a lower AAV due to cap being lower. Komarov's is higher due to cap inflation.

He's decent defensively, will lead the league in hits if he gets enough minutes, and while he has hands of stone, he goes to the net hard and will put a few points on the board as a result. One negative about him though is that he's too nice of a guy to go after the smaller rats, and will mostly just fight other heavyweights...which is sort of pointless as those heavyweights likely wouldn't even be on the ice if he wasn't on the ice.

Sep 18, 2009
Once the evidence comes in hockey will be a non-contact sport and guys like Martin will be relics of a forgotten era

turbine

Jan 5, 2006
So here's how I envisioned the convo went.....

Dubas: Hello Lou, shall we talk business?
Lou: Take a hike, kid. You just set me back half a decade.
Dubas: I'll help you get Jack Hughes
Lou: Ok, I'm listening.
Dubas: Martin for McAdam.
Lou: Done.
Dubas: Thank you buddy.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hey, I thought the Isles and Leafs were bitter enemies now, how did they make a trade with each other!

Reactions: Eb

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Once the evidence comes in hockey will be a non-contact sport and guys like Martin will be relics of a forgotten era

Yep. Hitting is less important than it's ever been and once the league accepts evidence that concussions lead to long-term distress head shots will go, then hitting in general, then guys like Martin, Borowiecki, Lucic will go away. And I, for one, look forward to it.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

I can honestly say that I'll miss both players. Really likeable guys, but they're just being pushed out by the Leafs' youth.

Reactions: Kurtz and iSophagus

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We might suck but we’re going to be entertaining as f***. Lol.

Stay away from Barzal Beauvillier and Bellows.

Also, as much as I love Matty, I’d rather fight him than Ross Johnston. Johnston is a monster and he can actually play hockey.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Or it means the Bruins just closed out a Playoff Series, but ya know whatev.
Oh you mean that playoff series where Toronto's 2nd best center (who is their 3rd best center now) was not allowed to play for 3 games and Boston still needed 7 games to win?

That series? Yeah, that was a real pounding.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We might suck but we’re going to be entertaining as ****. Lol.

Stay away from Barzal Beauvillier and Bellows.

Also, as much as I love Matty, I’d rather fight him than Ross Johnston. Johnston is a monster and he can actually play hockey.
Martin can also play hockey as well i'd say. as far as enforcers go, he's not bad

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Martin can also play hockey as well i'd say. as far as enforcers go, he's not bad

He’s not bad. Hes had big moments for the islanders over the years and scored some goals. Ross Johnston is big, physical, and he can Skate really well. He’s also really good defensively and really understands the game. Johnston is the perfect 4th Line LW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad