Confirmed Trade: [TOR/NYI] Matt Martin for Eamon McAdam [MOD 217, 345]

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like, I hate the Islanders, unlike some Devils fans who kind of have them as a distant second or third favorite team. And even I'm starting to sympathize here.

I've been skeptical of Lou for 5 years now, which included his last 2 or 3 years with the Devils. I really thought he was mostly a figurehead in Toronto, as a lot of what they were doing early on seemed to be the antithesis of what Lou believed in and ultimately what cost him his job as GM of the Devils in the end. I did always think there were signs pointing to what moves were his and what moves he had no control over, and the Matt Martin signing always screamed Lou to me and this really confirms it.

They really should have asked Toronto to send them Calvin Pickard for taking on Matt Martin, but that was before they signed Lehner today. Up until these last couple days with guys like Beagle and Roussel, Matt Martin had the worst small money/small term contract in the league. I really am starting to believe that Lou is a double agent and either works for Toronto still or works for the Devils still and is getting paid under the table by one of them, while getting paid on the books to be the Islanders GM. Because what he's done the last couple days really seems like someone that's either trying to help out the Leafs or trying to help out the Devils or another Metro team, by trying to sabotage the Islanders from within. That's gotta be the case at this point.

I don't blame him for Tavares, as he only got here a minute ago and he did offer Tavares more than what the Leafs did, but his other moves have been terrible. Lehner was the best goalie available on the free agent market, so I think that was a good move. You can't have Thomas Greiss be #1 on your team's goalie depth chart, but everything else has been embarrassingly bad.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Like, I hate the Islanders, unlike some Devils fans who kind of have them as a distant second or third favorite team. And even I'm starting to sympathize here.

I've been skeptical of Lou for 5 years now, which included his last 2 or 3 years with the Devils. I really thought he was mostly a figurehead in Toronto, as a lot of what they were doing early on seemed to be the antithesis of what Lou believed in and ultimately what cost him his job as GM of the Devils in the end. I did always think there were signs pointing to what moves were his and what moves he had no control over, and the Matt Martin signing always screamed Lou to me and this really confirms it.

They really should have asked Toronto to send them Calvin Pickard for taking on Matt Martin, but that was before they signed Lehner today. Up until these last couple days with guys like Beagle and Roussel, Matt Martin had the worst small money/small term contract in the league. I really am starting to believe that Lou is a double agent and either works for Toronto still or works for the Devils still and is getting paid under the table by one of them, while getting paid on the books to be the Islanders GM. Because what he's done the last couple days really seems like someone that's either trying to help out the Leafs or trying to help out the Devils or another Metro team, by trying to sabotage the Islanders from within. That's gotta be the case at this point.

I don't blame him for Tavares, as he only got here a minute ago and he did offer Tavares more than what the Leafs did, but his other moves have been terrible. Lehner was the best goalie available on the free agent market, so I think that was a good move. You can't have Thomas Greiss be #1 on your team's goalie depth chart, but everything else has been embarrassingly bad.
I am willing to bet Lou was advised to take on Martin because there is a large segment of the fan base who loves the hits and fights and to them that is a reason to go to a game, so if the Islanders are going to be a bad team as long as Martin is out there fighting and hitting people every game I am sure that is ok with them, of course there is 1 guy I am hoping to see Martin plow into, but I am guessing he is going to his wedding next month so I am not expecting it

Reactions: Raymoondo

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I am willing to bet Lou was advised to take on Martin because there is a large segment of the fan base who loves the hits and fights and to them that is a reason to go to a game, so if the Islanders are going to be a bad team as long as Martin is out there fighting and hitting people every game I am sure that is ok with them, of course there is 1 guy I am hoping to see Martin plow into, but I am guessing he is going to his wedding next month so I am not expecting it

The only way this gets sweeter is if one of the Islanders because of 4th liners takes a run at Tavares and ends up costing them a high 1st if it was premediated.

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
This trade makes the "Lou will offersheet a Toronto player" talk look even more silly. If the Isles were that petty why would they help Toronto like this, AND make offersheeting a Leaf harder since they'll have more capspace.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I know Martin didn't play a lot for us last year, but are we going to have any toughness at all? The soft as butter references are kind of true. I mean its a beauty we have a top 9 that can score, but who is going to stick up for them?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This obviously makes sense for the Leafs - Martin wasn’t going to play much, and cap space is key for us. But I think it makes sense for the Isles too, Martin always played well there, and is a fan favourite. If you’re gonna play him, then his cap hit is fine.

Leafs are indeed gonna have to add a bit of toughness, but that can be done in further moves.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Isles will be interesting to watch next year - see how they do - they haven't been very competitive for a while now - perhaps that's going to change in the next few years

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
I know Martin didn't play a lot for us last year, but are we going to have any toughness at all? The soft as butter references are kind of true. I mean its a beauty we have a top 9 that can score, but who is going to stick up for them?

I think were just gunna have to hope the refs stand up for us..

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Seems to me like the Islanders are setting up to do a proper tank. Bring in vets who can't contribute to winning but have great character as mentors for the young guys.

They just had a great draft, have some good young talent already, why not tank for a couple years and start at that new arena with an exciting roster?

Seems like that's the plan to me?

Reactions: ACC1224

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Lmao the Leafs have enough cap space now to actually TAKE ON a cap dump for this season and possibly even next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad