Proposal: TOR-NSH Kadri for Ellis plus deck chairs

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
While I don’t agree Rielly is way better than Ellis, you are doing the same thing by overselling Ellis as way better than Rielly.

Neither is correct.
Never said he was way better. I said Ellis is way better defensively and Reilly is slightly better offensively. But I'd give the edge to Ellis because of his hockey IQ.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Never said he was way better. I said Ellis is way better defensively and Reilly is slightly better offensively. But I'd give the edge to Ellis because of his hockey IQ.

If anything Ellis is slightly better defensively (even though he gets way more offensive zone starts) and Rielly is way better offensively (considering he just has a 50+ point season).

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
If anything Ellis is slightly better defensively (even though he gets way more offensive zone starts) and Rielly is way better offensively (considering he just has a 50+ point season).
Ellis is a plus 76 for his career. Reilly is a minus 70. You say Reilly is way better offensively because he just got 50+ points in 76 games well Ellis just got 32 points in 44 games and he had 3 more goals and only 5 points on the pp while Reilly had 25 points on the power play. Sooo

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The basis of the trade is:

Kadri for Ellis
What contract is Ellis resigned to? That is the big question; Kadri is on a sweetheart deal for a 30 goal-scoring 2C. Ellis is entering a contract year, if you can sign him to an extension for $5-6 million then sure, otherwise the numbers just don't work for the Leafs, not if they want to be able to also hold onto Marner, Nylander and Matthews.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
What contract is Ellis resigned to? That is the big question; Kadri is on a sweetheart deal for a 30 goal-scoring 2C. Ellis is entering a contract year, if you can sign him to an extension for $5-6 million then sure, otherwise the numbers just don't work for the Leafs, not if they want to be able to also hold onto Marner, Nylander and Matthews.

Te media smoke is between 6 Million but NMC, and 7 million

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Nah. Not trading our grittiest forward that also has 30+ goals. Our team will become soft marshmellows.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Ellis is head over heels a better defensive defenseman than Reilly. I'd give a small edge offensively to Reilly. Just a small one right now. Ellis becomes Toronto's best defenseman if this trades was to happen. His hockey IQ is what makes him so great.
Rielly faces a tougher QOC and put up better numbers that Ellis. Oh and he doesn't play with guys like Josi and Subban to help him. Rielly is better. Check the stats, eye test, whatever.

Rielly > Ellis

Ellis would be the 2nd best D-man on Toronto if he came here

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ellis is head over heels a better defensive defenseman than Reilly. I'd give a small edge offensively to Reilly. Just a small one right now. Ellis becomes Toronto's best defenseman if this trades was to happen. His hockey IQ is what makes him so great.

nope.

Reactions: Ispeedatnight

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would be surprised if Ellis > Reilly, but I don't watch the Leafs enough to have any real opinion on how Reilly compares. But isn't it a moot point? Because don't the Leafs just want a top-pair RD, which Ellis would be for them. Whether he's a little better, a little worse, or about the same as Reilly wouldn't really matter.

But speaking of moot points, I do not believe the Predators will trade Ellis this year anyway, not for the OP offer or any other one that actually comes forward and makes even a little sense on paper. He's an important part of the Preds for 2018-19, at a magnificent cap hit. The Preds lean heavily on their Top-4 D, and they haven't signed anybody to take the load off that arrangement for the coming season, so Ellis is still a big part of the coming season for the Preds. Summer 2019 is a different story... come and ask us about Ellis then and depending on his contract and how well he played and all that, he might become available next summer, who knows. But he's not available now.

Reactions: Morgs

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Rielly faces a tougher QOC and put up better numbers that Ellis. Oh and he doesn't play with guys like Josi and Subban to help him. Rielly is better. Check the stats, eye test, whatever.

Rielly > Ellis

Ellis would be the 2nd best D-man on Toronto if he came here
Ellis played with ekholm most of his career besides these last 2 years.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Regardless of the players involved, I think this is a nonstarter for Toronto. Ellis is a rental who is going to UFA status in his prime. He's a good defensemen by conventional stats, haven't checked into any advanced stats to have an opinion on him there, but trading what makes Toronto a potential contender (overwhelming center depth) and a center who is on a sweetheart 4.5M for the majority of his prime , and 4 UFA years (27-31) would be a very dumb move for a team that is going to have to start paying its youngsters lots of money very soon.

If Toronto were to trade Kadri, it'd have to be for a young RHD who is signed to term otherwise, its not worth it. Besides trading Zaitsev, who had a great rookie campaign, followed by an awful second year where he came off a foot injury and a concussion is just silly. The expectation should be after a full summer that he'll be able to rebound somewhere inbetween what he's shown so far. While the value at its face seems close, Pridham (Leafs salary cap guru) would probably be yelling in Dubas's ear the entire time telling him not to do it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He's on a team with Subban and Josi, who would handle tougher assignments...
Let's put it this way: Ekholm and Subban are the pair that SHOULD be handling the tougher assignments. They have shown that they are the most capable pair defensively. That doesn't mean that they have always been deployed this way. Josi and Ellis have had some recent difficulties as a pair. It remains a little undetermined if the pairs would stay that way down the road or how they will be utilized by the coaching staff. Winnipeg and Colorado had some heavier forwards on top lines (Landeskog/Rantanen, Scheifele/Wheeler) and it was clear that Ekholm/Subban are better-equipped to play against such players.

The Predators seem to have A LOT of faith in Ellis' ability to handle tougher assignments... that faith was not particularly well rewarded at crunch time last season, but I expect he'll have some latitude to redeem himself in the coming season, regardless of who he is paired with. The Preds don't run their team like they have a 1st pair and a 2nd pair. They run as if they have two 1st pairs, basically. Matchups, special teams are generally distributed evenly - subject only to the coaching staff's gameplan on any given night.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
Tough call. Don't think I would do it. The three-headed monster down the middle is a major strength that seperates us from other teams and Kadri's contract is very convenient for a team on the verge of cap challenges.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
I think we mean your 3rd best centre for what would be your number 1 D man. Ellis is better than Rielly IMO. Doesn't have to be Kadri, you could trade Nylander too but I think Kadri may be the one.

Will Kadri get 30 goals with Tavares and Matthews in front of him. he is not going to have as good of wingers as he had the last 2 years.

lol

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Buffalo could offer a much better package of futures for Ellis, Ellis has a great relationship with Housely, and Buffalo has the cap space to sign him long term.

Not sure how keen Ellis is on going from a president's trophy team to a last place team though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad