Proposal: TOR-NSH Kadri for Ellis plus deck chairs

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
1 year matters bc of the cap. Ellis is gonna get paid a lot. That cap hit will make it hard to keep the big 4 together.

Kadri caphit makes him underpaid.
Yup. I really like Ellis, but those UFA years are going to come at a price. That's the big sticking point for GMs.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don't know what the price would be/ should be. If I am Toronto, Ryan Ellis is the guy I target. He makes this team a legitimate contender.

Nashville has more depth than Toronto and Ellis looked bad against Winnipeg in Round 2.. I get Leaf fans are happy and somewhat delushional but... Ellis does not make you a contender. You lack the depth to be a contender and no.. Guys who had a good AHL year but have done nothing in the NHL dont count.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd have to know Ellis' future demands before trading anything for him. Kadri is very valuable. Aside from the production, he's one of the best contracts in the league. For a team that needs to sign Matthews,Marner and Nylander in the next 12 months or so, Kadri becomes even more valuable.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The basis of the trade is:

Kadri for Ellis

But as a Nashville fan I want also

Bonino for Zaitsev

It becomes Center for RHD, Center for RHD. Preds eat more Cap BUT Ellis has one year vs. Kadri's 4.

The chump change I hope is a trade of one of Nashville's 4th for Toronto's 2nd. Only because Zaitsev's contract is a handful.

Final deal:

Kadri, Zaitsev, Tor's 2nd for Bonino, Ellis, NSH or COL 4th

yeah no dice from the leafs. how awful does this look if ellis bolts in a year?

kadri,zaitsev and a 2nd for a year of ellis and an overpaid 4c? nah

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think we mean your 3rd best centre for what would be your number 1 D man. Ellis is better than Rielly IMO. Doesn't have to be Kadri, you could trade Nylander too but I think Kadri may be the one.

Will Kadri get 30 goals with Tavares and Matthews in front of him. he is not going to have as good of wingers as he had the last 2 years.

well that shows you watch very little leafs hockey. he played with marner for half a year. aside from that, a healthy diet of komarov,brown, and soshnikov

he gets a huge chunk of his goals on the pp. that wont change. also heartily disagree about ellis. rielly was the guy on a 105pt team. ellis has always been the 3rd or 4th best dman on his team. would he be our #2? yes
is a year of him worth a 30gC+ top 4 dman + 2nd? hellz nah

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You think a #2 D-man in the middle of his prime is worth a low 1st and a B prospect?

Hypothetically, you think Rielly for STL 1st + Tage Thompson is a fair trade?

Get real.

to be a #2 dman you would have to play that role yes?
Ellis has NEVER been the #2 in nashville. How can we call him a #2 when he has always been behind guys like weber,suter,subban, and josi?

also its a year of a guy. pending ufa. extension in hand diferent story. as is he isnt getting kadri,zaitsev,2nd

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The Leafs found out they are deep at LD moving forward (Rielly Dermott Rosen Borgman Sandin) because they gave Rielly tough minutes/situations and played the prospects in the NHL last year.

Why shouldn't they do the same thing on RD. Continue to play Zaitsev in tough situations/minutes and let a couple of kids play the right side this year (Holl Carrick Ozhiganov Liljegren). It is the best way to get a good cap friendly d-core.

This is the best year to shelter/develop some RD with their stacked forwards and stacked LD.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
Nashville has more depth than Toronto and Ellis looked bad against Winnipeg in Round 2.. I get Leaf fans are happy and somewhat delushional but... Ellis does not make you a contender. You lack the depth to be a contender and no.. Guys who had a good AHL year but have done nothing in the NHL dont count.

Have you seen what the leafs are rolling out there? Maybe the best depth in the league.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
As a Preds fan I would gladly accept that

As a Leafs fan, you got yourself a deal friend. Ellis immediately stabilizes the D-core without losing a core piece. Of course, if I’m real Dubas and not fantasy GM guy, I’m asking Poile if I can make a call to his agent to see about those contract numbers, as I’d want him signed before he plays a season with Matthews/Tavares/Kadri as our #1RD and his numbers shoot the roof...

Rielly - Ellis
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
As a Leafs fan, you got yourself a deal friend. Ellis immediately stabilizes the D-core without losing a core piece. Of course, if I’m real Dubas and not fantasy GM guy, I’m asking Poile if I can make a call to his agent to see about those contract numbers, as I’d want him signed before he plays a season with Matthews/Tavares/Kadri as our #1RD and his numbers shoot the roof...

Rielly - Ellis
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
I think because of the contract situation, Ellis is too risky for the Leafs to give up a lot.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The basis of the trade is:

Kadri for Ellis

But as a Nashville fan I want also

Bonino for Zaitsev

It becomes Center for RHD, Center for RHD. Preds eat more Cap BUT Ellis has one year vs. Kadri's 4.

The chump change I hope is a trade of one of Nashville's 4th for Toronto's 2nd. Only because Zaitsev's contract is a handful.

Final deal:

Kadri, Zaitsev, Tor's 2nd for Bonino, Ellis, NSH or COL 4th

Fair deal.

Unfortunately, Toronto cannot afford Ellis' next contract. Kadri has multiple years on his deal at $4.5 million.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
I think because of the contract situation, Ellis is too risky for the Leafs to give up a lot.

1st + Kapanen doesn’t strike me as a lot if Dubas is given the opportunity to feel out Ellis’ camp and thinks he can work him in long-term. I’ll admit I’m an Ellis fan though.

Reactions: Morgs

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
1st + Kapanen doesn’t strike me as a lot if Dubas is given the opportunity to feel out Ellis’ camp and thinks he can work him in long-term. I’ll admit I’m an Ellis fan though.
If they know they can lock him up to something that makes sense, it’s a good deal. If he’s a rental, I’m not a fan.

Reactions: Morning Dart

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
well that shows you watch very little leafs hockey.

Not sure if we are watching much non-Leafs hockey either.

Ellis is being underrated here by some. He would certainly help our blueline.

Having said that, his current contract only has one year left, and we certainly have to be concerned about the AAV to ensure that it works within team cap.

Its a good example of the challenge we will face in the future. We know we need to upgrade here (defense), but cap constraints will make that difficult.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If Ellis signs long-term, I'd look at Kadri for Ellis straight up with maybe small adds on each side.

0 desire for Bonino though, at least Zaitsev is a serviceable defenseman.

Really like the idea of Kapanen + 1st for him though. Would add too if necessary.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad