BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The basis of the trade is:

Kadri for Ellis

But as a Nashville fan I want also

Bonino for Zaitsev

It becomes Center for RHD, Center for RHD. Preds eat more Cap BUT Ellis has one year vs. Kadri's 4.

The chump change I hope is a trade of one of Nashville's 4th for Toronto's 2nd. Only because Zaitsev's contract is a handful.

Final deal:

Kadri, Zaitsev, Tor's 2nd for Bonino, Ellis, NSH or COL 4th

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Not convinced Toronto is getting a clear upgrade on D when they’re taking a clear loss at 3C.

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
Ellis is easily an upgrade and Bonino is a clear downgrade and vice versa for Nashville's side. Isn't Ellis due for a decent raise or am I thinking of someone else? I think its a pretty good trade that seems to balance the offensive and defensive talent on both teams

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know what the price would be/ should be. If I am Toronto, Ryan Ellis is the guy I target. He makes this team a legitimate contender.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This isn't a good deal for Toronto's long-term salary structure. Kadri's contract is a steal and Ellis is about to get paid. The Leafs have two great contracts right now, Kadri and Rielly. They can't afford to move one of their best values now that they'll be tight against the cap starting next year.

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015
Don’t think think we’re trading from our position of strength at center.
Kadri would have traveled to California to meet with Tavares during the presentations if it wasn’t for his schedule.
Ellis is a great player though

Reactions: Mork

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
This isn't a good deal for Toronto's long-term salary structure. Kadri's contract is a steal and Ellis is about to get paid. The Leafs have two great contracts right now, Kadri and Rielly. They can't afford to move one of their best values now that they'll be tight against the cap starting next year.

If Ellis comes in I think Gardiner goes out, as Ellis is the better all around defenseman. Subtract Marleau, Gardiner and Hainsey from the salary structure and you have plenty of room for Ellis.

Plugging in a top pairing RHD and subtracting a center who is third in the Leafs depth chart is a no-brainer. I don't think many Leafs fan know how good Ellis really is. Plus Bonino would be a fine 3C.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Too looking forward to seeing what the 3 headed center monster can accomplish. I honestly would be quite disappointed if that gun were never even test fired.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You think a #2 D-man in the middle of his prime is worth a low 1st and a B prospect?

Hypothetically, you think Rielly for STL 1st + Tage Thompson is a fair trade?

Get real.
St Louis doesn't have Tage Thompson. And it was Zaitsev+1st+B prospect for a guy due a huge pay increase. Maybe they figure Zaitsev will be a cheaper option who can play the 2nd pair for them

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A Kadri level player is a 30 goal shutdown center. I don't see many teams lining up to give this type of player away unless they have a Matthews/Tavares ahead of him.
They probably wouldn't. Unless they have a need for a top pair defenseman who makes under 5 per year, because on any other team, Ellis is a #2 defenseman. I never meant to imply that Kadri wasn't a good piece.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
you mean a 30 goal/60 point center who can match up against anyone for 4.5 million a year? yeah that's a common player

I think we mean your 3rd best centre for what would be your number 1 D man. Ellis is better than Rielly IMO. Doesn't have to be Kadri, you could trade Nylander too but I think Kadri may be the one.

Will Kadri get 30 goals with Tavares and Matthews in front of him. he is not going to have as good of wingers as he had the last 2 years.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
They probably wouldn't. Unless they have a need for a top pair defenseman who makes under 5 per year, because on any other team, Ellis is a #2 defenseman. I never meant to imply that Kadri wasn't a good piece.
Ellis makes under 5 mill for a year then is a f/a. How much his salary jumps up to is antibodies guess but kadri is a more secure and arguably the better player(a low end 1st line center vs a high end number 2 defender). Ellis if traded wont bring back a player of Kadris calibre. He will bring back a shattenkirk like package as a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad