Proposal: TOR-NSH Kadri for Ellis plus deck chairs

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Are you sure about that? That's a poor trade for us.

Yeah I feel unless we sign Ellis for a bargain 6 mil or less that we will be in a cap crunch for Josi. I feel Fabbro when he joins Nashville will be around or better skill wise then Ryan Ellis. Fabbro will not be able to replace Josi and we can use more wing depth, maybe Toronto will add another pick or a B prospect. Ryan Ellis only has a year left on his contract and his trade value is decreasing by the day. If he does not sign by the end of July, the Preds can not make the same mistake as they did with Ryan Suter.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Fair deal.

Unfortunately, Toronto cannot afford Ellis' next contract. Kadri has multiple years on his deal at $4.5 million.

I have to ask, Ellis is looking at 8 years x 6 million. You lose Zaitsev who makes 6 x 4.5 million. Zaitsev will be 37 years old at the end of his deal. Ellis will be 36 at the end of 8 years. You make it a sign and trade that's 1 more year of Ellis. Mighty Toronto can't afford a 1.5 million dollar bump for a large improvement to your defense. Bonino makes 400 K less than Kadri. OK, that's 1.1 million dollars. Toronto cant afford 1.1 million? Wow, then the league really needs a lockout then.

If you want you want, throw in a cheap Penalty Kill player. Balance out the ledger. Tyler Ennis, That's 650K.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah I feel unless we sign Ellis for a bargain 6 mil or less that we will be in a cap crunch for Josi. I feel Fabbro when he joins Nashville will be around or better skill wise then Ryan Ellis. Fabbro will not be able to replace Josi and we can use more wing depth, maybe Toronto will add another pick or a B prospect. Ryan Ellis only has a year left on his contract and his trade value is decreasing by the day. If he does not sign by the end of July, the Preds can not make the same mistake as they did with Ryan Suter.
While I understand the concern, I think we could get a better deal. There are lots of teams looking for Dmen that could possibly net you a better player and a higher pick ( cause they will stink anyways )

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
After thinking about this one, Kadri and Ellis are virtually identical quality players.

But Kadri has a much better contract situation, so NAS would have to add a good bit to make this trade work.

Reactions: Morgs

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I have to ask, Ellis is looking at 8 years x 6 million. You lose Zaitsev who makes 6 x 4.5 million. Zaitsev will be 37 years old at the end of his deal. Ellis will be 36 at the end of 8 years. You make it a sign and trade that's 1 more year of Ellis. Mighty Toronto can't afford a 1.5 million dollar bump for a large improvement to your defense. Bonino makes 400 K less than Kadri. OK, that's 1.1 million dollars. Toronto cant afford 1.1 million? Wow, then the league really needs a lockout then.

If you want you want, throw in a cheap Penalty Kill player. Balance out the ledger. Tyler Ennis, That's 650K.
Zaitsev is 26

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Rielly is considerably better. Putting up similar numbers in much tougher usage, with much lesser defense partners. And of course much younger.
For as much as people complain about how much Leafs content there is on this site, it’s amazing how little people know about Leafs players.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

I've heard $7-7.5 million being speculated for Ellis.

If it was $6 million, I'd do that deal. Even though it would be a tight fit for the 19-20 season.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
100% he is.

Stick to what you know about the Oiler's, you have no idea what you're talking about with Rielly. Stat's are going to make you look foolish too. Rielly is a legit #1, Ellis not on his level

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Stick to what you know about the Oiler's, you have no idea what you're talking about with Rielly. Stat's are going to make you look foolish too. Rielly is a legit #1, Ellis not on his level
Ellis is head over heels a better defensive defenseman than Reilly. I'd give a small edge offensively to Reilly. Just a small one right now. Ellis becomes Toronto's best defenseman if this trades was to happen. His hockey IQ is what makes him so great.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Ellis is head over heels a better defensive defenseman than Reilly. I'd give a small edge offensively to Reilly. Just a small one right now. Ellis becomes Toronto's best defenseman if this trades was to happen. His hockey IQ is what makes him so great.

While I don’t agree Rielly is way better than Ellis, you are doing the same thing by overselling Ellis as way better than Rielly.

Neither is correct.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I've heard $7-7.5 million being speculated for Ellis.

If it was $6 million, I'd do that deal. Even though it would be a tight fit for the 19-20 season.
$7-7.5M for Ellis is just silly. I like Ellis, he's a good player and maybe on some teams he could be a #2D. He also has never cracked 40 pts in the NHL and is coming off a playoff where he was constantly hemmed into his own zone and struggled defensively. He is the Predators' #4D. I don't really think that's even debateable at this point... Subban, Josi, and Ekholm are definitely better. No team is going to pay their #4D $7-7.5M.

He is really good and has been working on a bit of a bargain contract. But he's a $5-6M Dman and no more. If he wanted more than that I would be VERY comfortable just letting him walk as a UFA next summer. Preds don't NEED him in the longer view. He's certainly worth keeping for this year's run on a $2.5M deal. But if he's going to be in the plans going forward, he'll have to keep on being a bargain, because there's just not value for the Preds in paying their #4 guy a premium salary.

Reactions: Armourboy and BAM

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Probably the best deal I've seen offered for Kadri, and the OP's logic is sound.

However, I think I'd still decline. As much as I'd love Ellis on the back end, Tavares/Matthews/Kadri down the middle needs to be tried. :laugh:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If Ellis gets signed to a below-market value extension, then I think this deal has some legs. No interest in the Bonino-Zaitsev deal, the purpose of picking up Ellis is to add to our defense. We'll give Zaitsev a chance to bounce back. Even if he is an overpaid #4, we're not in position to be subtracting from that right side any more. It would leave us with Ellis-Hainsey-Carrick on the right side, which is better than Zaitsev-Hainsey-Carrick, but it's still a problem. Ellis-Zaitsev-Hainsey won't win awards, but it's quite solid.

But until Ellis gets that sweetheart contract, we'll be keeping Kadri.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Ellis is far better than Zaitsev. I would definitely add to make that swap, although I'm not sure Kadri is the right guy. maybe a 1st + a B prospect
“I would definitely add to make that swap (for Ennis)”

Scratch that, lets take out Kadri and replace him with picks and prospects. A contending team always needs picks and prospects while giving up roster players

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
It's a respectable offer, but the Leafs can't move Kadri. Aside from being one of the best bargain contracts out there (while Ellis is on the verge of a huge payday), and despite Tavares-Matthews-Kadri being in the conversation for best 1-2-3 punch in the league, we have literally nothing behind them.

Most likely, if we're to improve on defense, it's going to have to be by sending picks/prospects to a rebuilding team. I don't think we have the expendable pieces for a hockey trade with another playoff team right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sundinisagod

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
The basis of the trade is:

Kadri for Ellis

But as a Nashville fan I want also

Bonino for Zaitsev

It becomes Center for RHD, Center for RHD. Preds eat more Cap BUT Ellis has one year vs. Kadri's 4.

The chump change I hope is a trade of one of Nashville's 4th for Toronto's 2nd. Only because Zaitsev's contract is a handful.

Final deal:

Kadri, Zaitsev, Tor's 2nd for Bonino, Ellis, NSH or COL 4th

I am not a fan of either team but if I was the Leafs, none of their top 3 centers are available. I would be more than willing to pay up in prospects, picks, and/or a roster player outside of their core. If that doesn't work, I would understand and say thanks anyway and move on. If the Leafs can add a solid defensive top 4 D before the trade deadline then they can also add one at the deadline and go into the playoffs as one the most solid teams in the league top to bottom. Their top 3 centers are the biggest part of that and that would be the plan going forward. I wouldn't change it for just about anyone.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Rielly faces the 7th highest Quality of competition of all defensemen in the League. He is also 24 years old. If he isn't better, he will be soon enough

Reactions: BAM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad