Value of: (TOR) Nick Robertson and a 2024 3rd round pick

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don’t understand why people are so desperate to move Robertson.

Young, cost controlled, waiver exempt scoring depth on a team that badly needs scoring depth every spring.
I agree with you. Plus he doesn't have a lot of value (mid to late 2nd at most). Leafs are better off holding onto him for depth.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Young, cost controlled, waiver exempt scoring depth on a team that badly needs scoring depth every spring.
The Leafs don't have a lot of assets to move to get what they need. Robertson an their 1st are possibiities.

He really isn't.
He is certainly better than than half the forwards in the Avs lineup.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Waivers exemption will be gone next season, which could be your answer.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he's probably worth jeremy bracco and 2019 third. but i would hold out for nick petan and a 2020 third.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I'd hold on to Robertson. He might be being stifled by Keefe, or he might just be developing him at a more reasonable pace. He's looked good when I've seen him with Domi this year. If the Leafs are looking for a top 4 d-man, offering a first (whoever gets drafted most likely won't play with most of this core) seems a better option.

Reactions: Puckstuff

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He's a decent depth scorer (pace of 16g/40p) making basically league minimum, on a team with no cap space. Unless he's part of a deal for a big fish, I don't see why Toronto would even really consider trading him.

...but if a 3rd pair defenceman is what Toronto wants - let me know if Hamonic or Brannstrom need a ride to YOW...

Reactions: Finger Licking Good

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The Leafs don't have a lot of assets to move to get what they need. Robertson an their 1st are possibiities.

He is certainly better than than half the forwards in the Avs lineup.

To be fair, they are actually shockingly deep considering how much they've pillaged their draft classes prospect pool over the last few years.

Easton Cowan certainly seems to have elevated his stock since being drafted. Fraser Minten, putting up a very solid year despite being bounced around between the Leafs, back to Kamloops, Team Canada, and then traded to Saskatoon. Hildeby has made a very solid transition to North America, and Knies / Robertson, making meaningful contributions at the NHL level.

The challenge is - finding the right fit for what the Leafs need, to justify giving up some of these pieces.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Don't you think "desperate" is a little strong?

No one here is offering draft picks to take him off TOR's payroll.

N.R. is the most logical player to get moved if BT wants to bolster the team at the deadline. I don't make threads like this because I hate the player. He's fine. If Treliving can't use him in a trade then fine.

Robertson could help another team's top 6, but he's never going to crack TORONTO's.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's a decent depth scorer (pace of 16g/40p) making basically league minimum, on a team with no cap space. Unless he's part of a deal for a big fish, I don't see why Toronto would even really consider trading him.

...but if a 3rd pair defenceman is what Toronto wants - let me know if Hamonic or Brannstrom need a ride to YOW...

I actually wouldn't mind Hamonic as a depth pick up but not for Robertson

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd move Tanev for Robertson and a 3rd. I'd want a 5th added though.
I'd rather Toronto trade their 1st this year for tanev and a 3rd then trade Nick Robertson + 3rd for him. I think n3xt season you see nick in the Leafs top 6, he's a really solid player with lots of room to keep growing and improving his all around game.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd rather Toronto trade their 1st this year for tanev and a 3rd then trade Nick Robertson + 3rd for him. I think n3xt season you see nick in the Leafs top 6, he's a really solid player with lots of room to keep growing and improving his all around game.
I haven't watched him closely enough this year honestly. Just going by advanced stats and production numbers. We have a lot of middle 6 wings, so he's not super interesting to me. Easton Cowan is interesting to me. I'd send you guys Tanev, a 2nd and a 3rd for Cowan.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I haven't watched him closely enough this year honestly. Just going by advanced stats and production numbers. We have a lot of middle 6 wings, so he's not super interesting to me. Easton Cowan is interesting to me. I'd send you guys Tanev, a 2nd and a 3rd for Cowan.
While I'd say "no" to that simply because I'm extremely intrigued by Easton Cowan and am projecting him to become Travis Konecny at the NHL level, the offer itself is very good.

Getting Tanev to play on the right side, along with two quality picks, would be a very strong offer.

Dream world for me would be...

To Toronto
Chris Tanev (50% retained)
Mac Weegar (25% retained)

To Calgary
Timothy Liljegren
David Kampf
Eastan Cowan
1st round pick (2024)
3rd round pick (2025)

Calgary gets:

1. A solid, top-6, RHD, with top 4 upside in Liljegren, who is 24, cost controlled and fits Calgary's rebuild timeline.

2. A bottom 6 center with plenty of years left and who is signed fairly long term at 2.4 million per year. Calgary could keep him or flip him to somebody else for another draft pick.

3. Eastan Cowan, Toronto's top forward prospect, who I project to be Travis Konecny 2.0.

4. A 1st round pick that helps kick start the rebuild.

5. A 3rd round "depth" pick as a sweetner for retaining 50% of Tanev's expiring contract.

Toronto Gets:

1. An expiring Chris Tanev, to play on the right side of Toronto's 2nd pairing, along with TJ Brodie. If he has a good playoffs, Toronto could talk about extending him.

2. Mac Weegar, 25% retained, to play alongside Morgan Rielly on the top pairing and PP1.

Toronto's playoff D-core would be...

Rielly / Weegar
Brodie / Tanev
Benoit / McCabe

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'd hold on to Robertson. He might be being stifled by Keefe, or he might just be developing him at a more reasonable pace. He's looked good when I've seen him with Domi this year. If the Leafs are looking for a top 4 d-man, offering a first (whoever gets drafted most likely won't play with most of this core) seems a better option.
100 %.

The leafs don’t use Robertson properly and he’s still pacing 40 points per 82 games on a 3rd line role without first line PP minutes.

If he was used in a top 6 role with Domi and Nylander he is a 50-60 point second line player imo.

Given that he is cheap and we will be losing at least one of Bertuzzi or Domi next offseason we need to keep Robertson.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
For the leafs to put Cowan in a deal he'd have to be in a larger deal for someone like Andersson.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
While I'd say "no" to that simply because I'm extremely intrigued by Easton Cowan and am projecting him to become Travis Konecny at the NHL level, the offer itself is very good.

Getting Tanev to play on the right side, along with two quality picks, would be a very strong offer.

Dream world for me would be...

To Toronto
Chris Tanev (50% retained)
Mac Weegar (25% retained)

To Calgary
Timothy Liljegren
David Kampf
Eastan Cowan
1st round pick (2024)
3rd round pick (2025)

Calgary gets:

1. A solid, top-6, RHD, with top 4 upside in Liljegren, who is 24, cost controlled and fits Calgary's rebuild timeline.

2. A bottom 6 center with plenty of years left and who is signed fairly long term at 2.4 million per year. Calgary could keep him or flip him to somebody else for another draft pick.

3. Eastan Cowan, Toronto's top forward prospect, who I project to be Travis Konecny 2.0.

4. A 1st round pick that helps kick start the rebuild.

5. A 3rd round "depth" pick as a sweetner for retaining 50% of Tanev's expiring contract.

Toronto Gets:

1. An expiring Chris Tanev, to play on the right side of Toronto's 2nd pairing, along with TJ Brodie. If he has a good playoffs, Toronto could talk about extending him.

2. Mac Weegar, 25% retained, to play alongside Morgan Rielly on the top pairing and PP1.

Toronto's playoff D-core would be...

Rielly / Weegar
Brodie / Tanev
Benoit / McCabe
Thar I'd have no interest in. Just keeping it simple with Tanev would be my preference. I don't want to move Weegar. It would leave us with 1 top 4 defenseman next year. 2 if Kylington signs. We can't move Weegar or Andersson without it being a stripped to the studs rebuild.

We're losing Hanifin and Tanev for sure. We can afford to move Markstrom. We could afford to move a middle six winger. Can't move a D or a C unless we're burning it to the ground.

For the leafs to put Cowan in a deal he'd have to be in a larger deal for someone like Andersson.
That's a non starter. Leafs don't have the assets to acquire Andersson. We wouldn't be talking Cowan. I'd want Cowan, 1st, Knies and your 2 Finns. Even then I don't think I'd do it. Unless we burn it to the ground and have a 7 year rebuild you can't trade the guys with control. Especially not an 8m D making 4M

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Thar I'd have no interest in. Just keeping it simple with Tanev would be my preference. I don't want to move Weegar. It would leave us with 1 top 4 defenseman next year. 2 if Kylington signs. We can't move Weegar or Andersson without it being a stripped to the studs rebuild.

We're losing Hanifin and Tanev for sure. We can afford to move Markstrom. We could afford to move a middle six winger. Can't move a D or a C unless we're burning it to the ground.

That's a non starter. Leafs don't have the assets to acquire Andersson. We wouldn't be talking Cowan. I'd want Cowan, 1st, Knies and your 2 Finns. Even then I don't think I'd do it. Unless we burn it to the ground and have a 7 year rebuild you can't trade the guys with control. Especially not an 8m D making 4M
Fair enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad