Value of: (TOR) Nick Robertson and a 2024 3rd round pick

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Why are we arbitrarily "packaging" Robertson with a 3rd rounder???

If we're interested in cashing out on Robertson, so be it, but finding the team who believes in his upside is far more important than finding somebody who wants a 3rd rounder.

If we're interested in a defenceman, we need to ask ourselves, what does a team with a defenceman we want, need in return. That may, or may not be, Robertson.
I'm glad you guys found your answer.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You aren't getting a bigger fish then a Top 4RD like Walker for that package.... That package basically gets you Sean Walker.

At this point, Robertson holds very little value. A throwin to a trade for a rental or a change of scenery swap with another youngish struggling player.
Terrible assessment of Robertson, quite frankly. He's much more than a throw in.

I would love Walker but a 1st+ is too much. I'm interested to see what Philly fans would want

Reactions: Bluenotes27

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Value wise something around Carrier and Robertson works, I don't know if Nashville necessarily needs another young winger though.
I wonder too if Nashville would be interested, theres a few pieces they have I would love to make a move for. Carrier or Fabbro would both be solid additions, but they cant be "the" move on D. I would look at Sissons and Trenin for the bottom 6 as well. If they are interested in Robertson I would look at a package for package type deal.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I wouldn’t be looking to trade Robertson but if a team wanted him in return for a non rental it wouldn’t be a big sticking point either.
He definitely has the talent and shot to be a top 6 forward in his prime. But he is tiny and injury prone.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He's improved a little every year and I think he will continue to. I'd rather keep him then trade him for a rental. The potential is there to be a 20+ goal secondary scorer for us.

But with Minten and Cowan (maybe guys like Tverberg or Grebenkin too) potential looking at filling a spot next season, maybe the team thinks they don't need him anymore.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Really depends on the defensemen coming back how much is needed to add to NR. If it’s a depth coming UFA then a third should work.

I think you're looking about it the wrong way.

The Leafs need a defenceman, no doubt.

A team that has the defenceman the Leafs are targetting may value Nick Robertson, or may not be at all interested in him.

It's not a matter of the Leafs saying "What's the best defenceman I can get for Robertson+ a 3rd.

It's a matter of saying "who's the defenceman I really want?" who's #2 on my list? #3, and so on.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't have ill-will towards Robertson. He's a decent forward, and a lot of teams could use him. I think he could be a top 6 for your team, but he'll likely never be a top 6 in TOR. IMHO he is the most likely roster player to be moved the TDL.

What is he worth?

Could he be packaged along with the 3rd to get a depth RHD?

(I am not talking about Tanev. We already know the price for him)
If you move it to a first and Robertson the Habs Savard?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I don't have ill-will towards Robertson. He's a decent forward, and a lot of teams could use him. I think he could be a top 6 for your team, but he'll likely never be a top 6 in TOR. IMHO he is the most likely roster player to be moved the TDL.

What is he worth?

Could he be packaged along with the 3rd to get a depth RHD?

(I am not talking about Tanev. We already know the price for him)

I think Toronto needs to keep players like Robertson, there is a good chance he grows into the player we hope he will. Just need some patience

Wouldn’t it be great to have Durzi and Marchment right now?

I believe in letting your prospects really cook for the leafs right now, so that they can have a string of players at all positions over ready to step into the lineup when needed over the next 5-6 years.

McMann has been a great example of this so far

Reactions: Finger Licking Good

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think Toronto needs to keep players like Robertson, there is a good chance he grows into the player we hope he will. Just need some patience

Wouldn’t it be great to have Durzi and Marchment right now?

I believe in letting your prospects really cook for the leafs right now, so that they can have a string of players at all positions over ready to step into the lineup when needed over the next 5-6 years.

McMann has been a great example of this so far

I wouldn't exactly go that far.

McMann went undrafted, ended up in the Marlies system, and made his NHL debut at 26 because the Leafs needed a servicable and reliable depth forward.

There was no "harm" or downside in playing McMann -- they needed depth.

Robertson is in a different spot. For him to be successful, he needs to be in an offensive role. The Leafs don't really have an ideal spot for him to be able to develop.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wonder too if Nashville would be interested, theres a few pieces they have I would love to make a move for. Carrier or Fabbro would both be solid additions, but they cant be "the" move on D. I would look at Sissons and Trenin for the bottom 6 as well. If they are interested in Robertson I would look at a package for package type deal.
I think Trenin, Carrier, and Fabbro can be had but I don't think Trotz is going to move Sissons unless someone just offers something silly, our center depth is just not good enough to absorb that right now.

Personally for me I'd go after Fabbro, he's a solid Dman, still has a year left as a RFA, if you wanted to keep him long term he probably doesn't cost that much contract wise. He was Josi's partner 2 years ago when he had that really good season so he has had time on a top pairing. The only reason he would get moved is for some reason our organization just doesn't seem to like him. Dunno if he kicks the coaches dog or something but Hynes did him the same way.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think Trenin, Carrier, and Fabbro can be had but I don't think Trotz is going to move Sissons unless someone just offers something silly, our center depth is just not good enough to absorb that right now.

Personally for me I'd go after Fabbro, he's a solid Dman, still has a year left as a RFA, if you wanted to keep him long term he probably doesn't cost that much contract wise. He was Josi's partner 2 years ago when he had that really good season so he has had time on a top pairing. The only reason he would get moved is for some reason our organization just doesn't seem to like him. Dunno if he kicks the coaches dog or something but Hynes did him the same way.
I think Fabbro would be a good add but I dont think he should be "the" add on D for us. Honestly, he seems like more of an offseason add to me, because I have a feeling Treliving will add a bigger name on D (probably Tanev) which means there wont be much room on D for Fabbro, but going into next year after we lose Brodie, Gio and possibly Benoit, having Fabbro and Liljegren penciled into 2/3 RHD spots would be nice so we only have to go shopping for 1 more.

Regarding Sissons; I presumed Nashville had no reason to ship him out, but I suggested on the Leafs board that while we dont really have any big holes in the bottom 6, that upgrading a player or 2 to fit a tougher "playoff player" mold, so we have more pushback vs Florida this time. I looked at turning a guy like Jarnkrok into Sissons, and swapping them in the same deal. Jarn had a long tenure in Nashville and I wonder if Trotz would welcome him back. He plays the same position so you wouldnt lose a body necessarily. I suggested Jarnkrok+ for Sissons, or a larger package including our 1st that brought back multiple players from Nashville.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think Fabbro would be a good add but I dont think he should be "the" add on D for us. Honestly, he seems like more of an offseason add to me, because I have a feeling Treliving will add a bigger name on D (probably Tanev) which means there wont be much room on D for Fabbro, but going into next year after we lose Brodie, Gio and possibly Benoit, having Fabbro and Liljegren penciled into 2/3 RHD spots would be nice so we only have to go shopping for 1 more.

Regarding Sissons; I presumed Nashville had no reason to ship him out, but I suggested on the Leafs board that while we dont really have any big holes in the bottom 6, that upgrading a player or 2 to fit a tougher "playoff player" mold, so we have more pushback vs Florida this time. I looked at turning a guy like Jarnkrok into Sissons, and swapping them in the same deal. Jarn had a long tenure in Nashville and I wonder if Trotz would welcome him back. He plays the same position so you wouldnt lose a body necessarily. I suggested Jarnkrok+ for Sissons, or a larger package including our 1st that brought back multiple players from Nashville.
Zero interest in Jarnkrok and if you are playing him at center for more than a game or two then you don't have a center. Now if you need to dump a guy like that then fine, but the goal is to find younger talent if we are moving assets like that.

My suspicion is Sissons would take a pretty big overpay to get. My guess is basically a younger version of him and a first if we are being honest. It's hard to put a price on a guy there is probably zero interest in being moved to start with.

I'm sure a Preds fan will come along and say if you offer a first he is yours, but I really don't think so. I think think Trotz is far more interested in quality younger players than he is picks.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sissons won’t be available.

I don’t think the Preds would be very interested in Robertson… we’re having enough trouble integrating several of our young wingers already. Adding another to that pile won’t be a big incentive for a trade.

Anyway, as long as the Preds continue to hang around in the wildcard race they’ll probably just hold onto their players rather than take unappealing or redundant pieces back for them at the TDL. There isn’t enough time left before the deadline that they should fall so far out of the race as to become sellers.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Has the greatest player since sliced bread gone stale?
I think you will find that no one from Leafs land wants to dump NR. The discussion is around trading from a position of strength (forwards) to bolster a position of less strength (defense).

NR is 22 and has had his last few years quite interrupted with injury and the Covid year. However, he is 69th in the NHL in 5 on 5 goals per minute.

He plays behind Marner, Nylander, Knies and Bertuzzi so getting top 6 minutes of 1st unit PP time is not easy....for anyone. The Leafs also have Cowan and Minten knocking at the door.

If you can make a hockey trade for a defenseman with term, you consider it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nick Robertson is on pace for ~40 points while playing limited minutes in a depth role

He's finally figuring it out, there's no reason to deal him unless you're getting a top pair defenseman and he's a part of the package going the other way
Nick Robertson doesn't move the needle in a deal for a top pair dman. He's an afterthought. A throw in.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Zero interest in Jarnkrok and if you are playing him at center for more than a game or two then you don't have a center. Now if you need to dump a guy like that then fine, but the goal is to find younger talent if we are moving assets like that.

My suspicion is Sissons would take a pretty big overpay to get. My guess is basically a younger version of him and a first if we are being honest. It's hard to put a price on a guy there is probably zero interest in being moved to start with.

I'm sure a Preds fan will come along and say if you offer a first he is yours, but I really don't think so. I think think Trotz is far more interested in quality younger players than he is picks.

Sissons won’t be available.

I don’t think the Preds would be very interested in Robertson… we’re having enough trouble integrating several of our young wingers already. Adding another to that pile won’t be a big incentive for a trade.

Anyway, as long as the Preds continue to hang around in the wildcard race they’ll probably just hold onto their players rather than take unappealing or redundant pieces back for them at the TDL. There isn’t enough time left before the deadline that they should fall so far out of the race as to become sellers.
I personally wouldnt mind moving a 1st for Sissons but trading it for a forward is just unwise given our roster makeup and needs. Ive kinda piveted to Trenin from you guys which would be much more affordable

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
You aren't getting a bigger fish then a Top 4RD like Walker for that package.... That package basically gets you Sean Walker.

At this point, Robertson holds very little value. A throwin to a trade for a rental or a change of scenery swap with another youngish struggling player.
Leafs don't really need a "big fish". Just a good solid defenceman that can play with Reilly

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I personally wouldnt mind moving a 1st for Sissons but trading it for a forward is just unwise given our roster makeup and needs. Ive kinda piveted to Trenin from you guys which would be much more affordable
The Preds love Sissons so you couldn’t get him even for a 1st anyway. Which might be somewhat “to the chagrin” of some portion of the fanbase, but it is what it is.

Just because the team already has a surfeit of 2nd and later picks and prospects, I also don’t think they’ll sell cheaply on solid regulars like Trenin or Carrier either. Competing for a playoff spot is more important than stockpiling more middling draft picks, even if those guys eventually walk as UFAs.

If that helps.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Call Dallas and see what it would take to send Nick to play with his brother Jason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad