Value of: (TOR) Nick Robertson and a 2024 3rd round pick

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't have ill-will towards Robertson. He's a decent forward, and a lot of teams could use him. I think he could be a top 6 for your team, but he'll likely never be a top 6 in TOR. IMHO he is the most likely roster player to be moved the TDL.

What is he worth?

Could he be packaged along with the 3rd to get a depth RHD?

(I am not talking about Tanev. We already know the price for him)

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I dont get moving him by himself, we would likely just be looking at a "chance of scenery" type guy, and I doubt we could pull in someone that is any better. I would look to move him in a package if anything.

As for your package I wonder if San Jose has interest in him. I think Robertson would unlock his full potential playing consistent top 9 minutes. I would target Jan Rutta, and i'd look at bringing Barabanov back depending on price

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Robertson is playing around a 40-41 point pace with 3rd line minutes at 5v5 and just just recently getting PP time on the 2nd unit.

He's pretty cheap, he's been healthy and good this year. I would like to see him with a different coach but if a team made it worth Toronto's while with a RD, even if Toronto had to add, I would be open to it.

Have that uneasy feeling he's going to end up as Marchessault or something.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
A depth RHD shouldn't cost more than a 3rd in general so this is throwing away Robertson for nothing IMO.
Yeah I dont know why that was the target...

I'd also look at Nashville and see if Robertson interests them. Theres a few pieces they have (Fabbro, Carrier, Sissons, Trenin) that I think would be great depth additions. I would put a package together for a couple of those pieces.

Robertson is playing around a 40-41 point pace with 3rd line minutes at 5v5 and just just recently getting PP time on the 2nd unit.

He's pretty cheap, he's been healthy and good this year. I would like to see him with a different coach but if a team made it worth Toronto's while with a RD, even if Toronto had to add, I would be open to it.

Have that uneasy feeling he's going to end up as Marchessault or something.
Robertson is good, and is only going to get better, so I dont want to just give him away, but I truly do wonder if he will ever reach his true potential here. I fully believe he has 50-60+ points in him. As long as we get a worthwhile return I would be perfectly fine trading him but I think the expectation/worry is that he will blossom as soon as we let him go.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I dont know why that was the target...

I'd also look at Nashville and see if Robertson interests them. Theres a few pieces they have (Fabbro, Carrier, Sissons, Trenin) that I think would be great depth additions. I would put a package together for a couple of those pieces.

Robertson is good, and is only going to get better, so I dont want to just give him away, but I truly do wonder if he will ever reach his true potential here. I fully believe he has 50-60+ points in him. As long as we get a worthwhile return I would be perfectly fine trading him but I think the expectation/worry is that he will blossom as soon as we let him go.

Yea, Toronto has a need at defense, particularly RD. We have guys coming at forward and goaltending so it would make sense to parlay a strength to address a weakness.

I think a different coach gets more out of Nick and have the same worry but if certain RD were to come back in a deal, I would just hope it works out. Ex. Korczak or Schneider - age appropriate guys.

Sending Robertson out for a rental like a Tanev wouldn't sit well with me.

Are you looking for a playoff run rental? Nick Seeler would probably help.

News is they're trying to extend him. We're fairly good at LD too.

Love the player.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Are you looking for a playoff run rental? Nick Seeler would probably help.
Would prefer Sean Walker. I actually like him a lot

Yea, Toronto has a need at defense, particularly RD. We have guys coming at forward and goaltending so it would make sense to parlay a strength to address a weakness.

I think a different coach gets more out of Nick and have the same worry but if certain RD were to come back in a deal, I would just hope it works out. Ex. Korczak or Schneider - age appropriate guys.

Sending Robertson out for a rental like a Tanev wouldn't sit well with me.

News is they're trying to extend him. We're fairly good at LD too.

Love the player.
Braden Schneider? is that a possibility because i'd do that in a heartbeat

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I don't have ill-will towards Robertson. He's a decent forward, and a lot of teams could use him. I think he could be a top 6 for your team, but he'll likely never be a top 6 in TOR. IMHO he is the most likely roster player to be moved the TDL.

What is he worth?

Unfortunately that probably lands a Justin Holl..

• Wow
Reactions: TakeTheBody

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Would prefer Sean Walker. I actually like him a lot

Braden Schneider? is that a possibility because i'd do that in a heartbeat

I can't speak for the Knights or Rangers but those are the types of trades that would make me feel a bit better trading Robertson.

His shot is money.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I can't speak for the Knights or Rangers but those are the types of trades that would make me feel a bit better trading Robertson.

His shot is money.
If we got a solid long term piece for Robertson I would feel ok. I dont think he would get moved for a rental. Either swap him for a young piece or use him in a package. I think a 1st+Robertson+ could get us a bigger fish

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rank stupidity

Every playoffs our depth scoring goes in the toilet so our plan to get better is to trade a 22 year old scoring at half a point a game with minimal PP time and was getting 10 minutes a game until recently

The kids now finding his game and Keefe is starting to use him more so time to trade him?

Every ******* time with young non elite guys

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Unless we fire SK Nick will not crack the top 6. its unfortunate as we can use cheap skill
Based on what? He’s 22. He’s been injured quite a lot. He should focus on staying healthy first. He’ll get top6 minutes when he is ready. He’s developing.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

What is he worth?

Has the greatest player since sliced bread gone stale?

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This is pretty stupid, I mean the kid until recently is playing under 10 mins a night and has more goals than Bertuzzi.

Guy is making less than a million and can play up in the line up.

Why not trade the 5.5 million dollar player and add something (not named Minten or Cowan)to get a legit top 6 threat or a RHD that can play in our top 4 D.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If we got a solid long term piece for Robertson I would feel ok. I dont think he would get moved for a rental. Either swap him for a young piece or use him in a package. I think a 1st+Robertson+ could get us a bigger fish

You aren't getting a bigger fish then a Top 4RD like Walker for that package.... That package basically gets you Sean Walker.

At this point, Robertson holds very little value. A throwin to a trade for a rental or a change of scenery swap with another youngish struggling player.

Reactions: TS Quint

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

What is he worth?

Why are we arbitrarily "packaging" Robertson with a 3rd rounder???

If we're interested in cashing out on Robertson, so be it, but finding the team who believes in his upside is far more important than finding somebody who wants a 3rd rounder.

If we're interested in a defenceman, we need to ask ourselves, what does a team with a defenceman we want, need in return. That may, or may not be, Robertson.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You aren't getting a bigger fish then a Top 4RD like Walker for that package.... That package basically gets you Sean Walker.

At this point, Robertson holds very little value. A throwin to a trade for a rental or a change of scenery swap with another youngish struggling player.
Robertson isn't struggling though he's played very well and has been improving all season. He should be part of the l9ng term plans pf the team unless he's required in a package to land a top 4 right shot D who isn't in his thirties.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why are we arbitrarily "packaging" Robertson with a 3rd rounder???

If we're interested in cashing out on Robertson, so be it, but finding the team who believes in his upside is far more important than finding somebody who wants a 3rd rounder.

If we're interested in a defenceman, we need to ask ourselves, what does a team with a defenceman we want, need in return. That may, or may not be, Robertson.
Really depends on the defensemen coming back how much is needed to add to NR. If it’s a depth coming UFA then a third should work.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Leafs are better off, all-around, by keeping Robertson, and allowing him to learn "the Leafs way". Hardly any forwards stick around long enough to learn how to play with the Top 4 forwards in their particular style. One...or two...young players who learn how to stick with Matthews, Marner and Nylander, and exceed, an that team takes a big step forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00