Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He's above Tavares, similar tier to Kane/Stamkos, below Crosby/McDavid.

Eichel signing for 10 million a year, based on what he's going to do, rather what he's done; really ****ed up the RFA market. But even then, sabres got term.

Eichel 13.33% for 8 years
Stamkos 11.66% for 5 years (off ELC)
Kane 15.22 % for 8 years.

11.6 is close to 14 % of the cap for 5 years.

R.F.A doesn't buy as much apparently and I think we're getting worked over a bit. Not a lot, but a little bit.

RFA status has no effect on elite players that are worth offer sheeting - the team is left with the options of accepting the price the player demands, trading the player, or qualifying the player and accepting offer sheet compensation.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The term is a touch concerning, since it walks him straight to UFA. Could have our own Tavares/Islanders situation on our hands.

In the meantime, though, happy to have him locked up for the next 5 years.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
IF... and it's still a pretty big IF ... but they win a cup... I think a lot of people will forget about this.

It'll be interesting to see what other RFAs want now .... also the pressure is completely on the player to perform now.
The contract could be 8 yrs $20m per year and I wouldn't care less if it meant Toronto wins a Cup

Reactions: Burnie97

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Dear Kyle Dubas,

Stop ruining the pay scale for the rest of the league with RFAs. Put down the pen! You follow up that brutal Nylander signing with this monstrosity. We just got rid of Chiarelli and you take his place. Just stop! Block Marner’s phone until the rest of us work out equitable deals for our RFAs.

Regards

The Rest of The GMs

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nah. Marner and Tavares are better than Matthews that is undeniable. And Andersen is more important to the Leafs than Matthews (just ask the Avalanche with their season going to down the tubes due to goaltending. Or the Flames. Rittich has single handly saved their season).

In what way is Tavares better? Marner is the only player on the team that has any argument for being better than Matthews.

Are you going to say that Murray > Crosby and Malkin because goaltending is important as well?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

6 = Toronto's nickname
34 = his number

Is that what happened here?
qX8ZE6L.png

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
A lot can happen in 5 years. I don't hate the term.

I personally think all contracts should have a 5 year max (in all sports).

Maybe not locking him up the 3 extra years will end up working out for the Leafs. He's also an extremely tradeable asset with one or two years left if he is playing as everyone expects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad