Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The fact that Matthews will now make $5mil more than Pastrnak is laughable. Pastrnak 70 or more points last 3 seasons including this one, Matthews has never hit 70 points. "But he's a center!!!" doesn't make him worth $5mil more either.

People really, really need to stop comparing every forward contract to Pastrnak. His contract is amazing, not the normal.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Leafsloyalty66

Jul 2, 2018
Ontario
What exactly did everyone think he was gonna get paid? When it comes to franchise players it's not wise to piss around too much, especially when you have two to sign. If he signed this contract when McDavid signed his wouldn't it equal to around 10 mill?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
This is a horrible deal for the Leafs. Right to ufa and a high cap hit. Marner is going to be seriously paid too. This started with Chiarelli signing McDavid before Draisaitl and it’s domino effect is going to be brutal for teams with young talent

Reactions: dukeofjive

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
I wonder if paying out such huge signing bonuses will be something that will come up in the next round of CBA talks?

CBA is all about bailing out stupid GM's from making dumb decisions. First, it was the end of 10+ year contracts and the addition of buyouts. Now they are going to have to stop these buyout proof deals from being signed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
here;'s what i'll say...wish it was 8 years, but if Dubas gets all the kids signed and still has the cap room to fill other holes...then i am going to enjoy the 5 year run.

In a sea of over-reaction, this post is a beacon of sanity. The Leafs time is now and they should do what it takes to win for the next 5 years and worry about roster issues after that.

Plus, it's not like they are going to have an issue moving guys if a cap crunch ever comes.

Reactions: Liferleafer

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
5 years at almost 12m is not good when Mcdvid is at 12.5m for 8 years.
Your Gm keep giving stupid signing bonus to entice them to sign quick contract with the team, not a good move for the long term..

do you even understand the cap situation? obviously not.

Also LOL at using McDavids contract as a barometer. How many players make more than Crosby who shouldnt? Solid logic.

Got anymore F material you need to tell me about?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Money is fair, the term is not great for Toronto though.

But they still get to keep him at fair value for at least 5 years, so it's not a disaster or anything just not ideal.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Nothing wrong with that deal. I think the Tavares deal was way more of a overpayment than this.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is a horrible deal for the Leafs. Right to ufa and a high cap hit. Marner is going to be seriously paid too. This started with Chiarelli signing McDavid before Draisaitl and it’s domino effect is going to be brutal for teams with young talent

It started with the Panthers actually

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
This and the Nylander contracts are garbage. Hopefully the Leafs sign Marner to a reasonable deal but signings don't seem to be Dubas' specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca