Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Very solid AAV for the Leafs. 8 years would have been far more preferable but not necessarily feasible if they want to sign Marner as well

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
The money is fine and the contract isn't that much of a disaster as some are making it out to be. But 11.6 for 5 years over 8 is just weird

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I don't even think $11.6 million is even that bad for Matthews, I had him pegged at $11 million so this value isn't bad. The problem here is that he's at $11.6 million with only buying out 1 UFA year, that's not a good contract. They gave Matthews an 8 year, 4 UFA year cap hit for a contract that was only 5 years and 1 UFA year, that's not a good deal.

That's where my head is at, he just got his ass paid and will be in a great position in 5 years with UFA status

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The fact that Matthews will now make $5mil more than Pastrnak is laughable. Pastrnak 70 or more points last 3 seasons including this one, Matthews has never hit 70 points. "But he's a center!!!" doesn't make him worth $5mil more either.
Ppg when they signed isn’t close

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Was there an expectation that the AAV would be lower ? I can understand that want for a longer contract. Kids a stud.

I think the average is about expected, but the term is not and that makes the average an issue.

When you're paying that kind of salary, you want to be eating up some of those UFA years. That's one of the whole points of the long-term high salary contract for young players like Matthews. When people were speculating the salary averages, they were looking at it from an 8-year perspective, with more (expensive) UFA years included.

It's good that Toronto signed him, but this isn't a good contract. It could be worse, of course, but it could be a lot better.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Well the kids ain't doing the Leafs any favors that's for sure lol

Not saying im surprised considering the reports, but still, i would've expected 6-7 years with that AAV

It's pretty crazy you get 11M before playing your 200th NHL game.

AM is going to be a filthy rich man when it's all said and done. It's insane he gets this much money while never missing a single UFA year (or is it 1? meh, anyway)

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Oof! I honestly thought 6x10.5 or 5x10 would get it done.

I realize I'm going to get hate from leaf fans (even though I like their team), but he really hasn't proven enough to get a contract more than Tavares, especially one that takes him right to UFA as a 25 year old...

Reactions: FishManSam

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So much for the Yotes throwing him an offer sheet :naughty:

Its pricey, I expected 10 million per for 5 or 6 years but you have 0 leverage here. Now hopefully Marner takes the same or less....

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My take.

Good contracts for the Leafs. They get their best player signed for 5 more years at a reasonable cap hit.

Bad new is that he could pull a Tavares and leave when his contract is up.

Overall Leafs need to win a cup within the next 5 years and hope they can re-sign Matthews when his contract will be up in 5 years.

Leafs fans should enjoy their team and don't worry after these 5 years.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
It's so frustrating that all these RFA's are commanding this kind of money. On a 5-year deal he should not have received that much... happy to have him, but you bought 1 UFA year and that's unacceptable at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad