Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
can someone please explain why any of this matters other than lockout protection?

I'd guess its about getting the money at one payment per year, so it can be invested somewhere for profit. $1M today is better that $100,000 per month for 10 months

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
In what way is Tavares better? Marner is the only player on the team that has any argument for being better than Matthews.

Are you going to say that Murray > Crosby and Malkin because goaltending is important as well?

Well there was a 6 year Cup drought in Pittsburgh that not so coincidentally ended with Murray's arrival. No more having to deal with Fleury fumbling pucks into his own net.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Barkov and MacKinnon are cursing at their agents somewhere right now. Or maybe they just had to be drafted by Toronto "we give the money AND term" Maple leafs.

Reactions: dukeofjive
Feb 19, 2018
Better trade Marner now to the highest bidder. Could build a team with high picks/elc contracts but not 4 players at half the cap.

Goodbye Marleau and Zait whoever and the team will hate it especially Marner and Matthews

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Not happy, Dubas should have forced him to take less AAV if he's only giving up 5 years. I'd say it's a 1 million dollar overpay for 5 years

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's so frustrating that all these RFA's are commanding this kind of money. On a 5-year deal he should not have received that much... happy to have him, but you bought 1 UFA year and that's unacceptable at that price.

I agree. Even McDavid who is worth every penny of his contract but RFA is RFA. The teams should have the leverage but the players have taken full control.

Reactions: dukeofjive

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Good contract for both parts. Cap is below 12, and Matthews can decide what to do when he is still in his prime.
Was not far away when I said 4 years ;)

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Nothing really wrong with the contract, but anyone who doesn't think there's gonna be some serious offseason roster gymnastics to make this all work is deluded at this point.
no? we lose gardiner... who cares? year after that we lost the 6.25 marleau contract, no problems here.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
People can say what they want about Matthews' (and Nylander's) contract, but if they don't think guys like Ratanen, Aho, Point, Tkachuk, etc. aren't going to look at this contract as a template then you're crazy.

With cap increases plus GMs/young players actually realizing how valuable they are, it was bound to happen.

Matthews is producing at a similar rate to Point, Ratanen, Kane and McDavid. He's a goal scoring center. Of course he was going to get paid.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't mind the AAV but what the the f*** is up with the term Leafs?!? Just 1 UFA year bought out for all that AAV?

Reactions: Gsh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille