Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 3

How Fair Is This Contract.

• Total voters

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
Doesn't Marleau have a NMC? I doubt that anyone will want to help TO's cap situation without an overpay as it could turn you guys into another Tampa level team in a hurry.
Yes but there’s a reason he only makes 1 million in salary for last year. Why else would it be structured that way?

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
no team wants Zaits thats why it cost us a 2nd and a promising kid in SDA
even if Marleau doesn't waive at his age I believe they tend to get equipment allergies lol
The accepted offer was a 2nd+3rd I value Rasanen=2nd. Swap Rasanen for Bracco, add a 4th to Zaits boom again not hard.
No one is going to take Zaitsev who has 5 years left on his contract at $4.5 million, he's Toronto's version of Lucic at $1.5 million per year less. Maybe if Toronto retains $2 million per year then some team out there would take Zaitsev on. As for Gudas, he's playing well this year so 2nd and a 3rd might not be enough to entice Fletcher to get rid of him considering he has another year on his contract at $3.3 million.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes but there’s a reason he only makes 1 million in salary for last year. Why else would it be structured that way?

He still has to waive or they would have to buy him out. Bottom line is that he has the power in this situation.

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
He still has to waive or they would have to buy him out. Bottom line is that he has the power in this situation.
Of course he does. But obviously it’s structred that way because it’s expected he will waive. I’m sure it was a handshake deal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Of course he does. But obviously it’s structred that way because it’s expected he will waive. I’m sure it was a handshake deal.

We'll see in 4-5 months time. His non signing bonus salary is only $250K less than it was in years 1 and 2 of his deal, not exactly earth shattering IMO.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
no team wants Zaits thats why it cost us a 2nd and a promising kid in SDA
even if Marleau doesn't waive at his age I believe they tend to get equipment allergies lol
The accepted offer was a 2nd+3rd I value Rasanen=2nd. Swap Rasanen for Bracco, add a 4th to Zaits boom again not hard.
You can set value until you're blue in the face but if you think you'll see 1.5 years of Gudas in a Leaf uniform at those terms you're terribly deluded. No chance

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Signing JT and giving into Nylander is taking its toll already. Matthews wanted 8 yrs but Toronto wanted less for more cap flexibility? Am I understanding that right? Would much rather have him locked up for 8 yrs even at 14 mil and trade Nylander instead of overpaying him. Wonder if this will affect Marner’s contract as well.

It’s a good problem to have instead of being a max cap team that’s fighting for the wildcard like my team but feel like locking up Marner and Matthews for max term was more important then overpaying Nylander. Congrats anyways Leaf fans, at least you will have an exciting team to watch for a guaranteed 5 yr period of time.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Connor took a lot less than he should had took. If he took what he deserved AM contract would look really fair, but this info is skewing things.

Hopefully hockey players can stop giving and giving and finally take some fair value for once going forward.
Connors smart. He takes less and looks like a hero then bolts the first chance he gets. If McDavid takes the max the gms/ownership would indirectly blame him for not being able to fit players in instead of their incompetence.
He should have demanded five or six years at a much lower number to bolt even earlier unless by a miracle ownership gets their shit together.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Interesting words from Brian Lawton, who has been an agent AND a GM. Also, he talks about McDavid - not comparing the contracts, but suggesting McDavid should have taken a few bucks less to help the Oilers build a winner. But what would he know? [mod]

Auston Matthews in a better situation than Connor McDavid, says TV analyst

“Excellent move by the player, good for the Leafs,” says Brian Lawton, a former player, agent, and GM and now a television analyst.

“The Leafs bent just enough to make me just a little bit nervous. $11 million would have put the Leafs in a much better position, but I have been there on both sides and it’s still a good deal for both parties.”

“Connor McDavid made a tragic error, in my opinion, by taking the money he took,” said Lawton. “Not because he’s not worth it. He’s worth more.

“But ultimately he may have done some harm to having that fun of winning. For him, it’s even bigger than that, because he’s a legacy-type player. Ten years from now if Connor McDavid hasn’t won a couple of championships, it really dims the brightness of this incredible player. Sorry, that’s the reality. He will be judged on championships at the end of the day.”

“If McDavid had taken $11 million, Leon Draisaitl ($8.5 million) would be at $7 million. It trickled through the rest of the roster,” Lawton said. “There have been some other moves that have hurt them, but (McDavid’s long-term deal) really truly hurt them as an organization.”

Lawton must be smoking something special? So on one hand he is saying this Mathews deal is a good one for both sides and a cap hit of $11.63 million cap hit and then goes out and criticized McDavid for having a $12.5 million cap hit. How can he logically have those to separate opinions and believe them? So paying a player .87 million more who has won 2 scoring titles is too much and he should of took $11 million but Mathews at $11.63 is good for both sides? Ridiculous!

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
You made this up entirely.

Uh huh so if 5 years is a win for the leafs I bet you'd be ecstatic if the deal was for 4 years right?

How do you think this impacts marners negotiation? Is it better for the marner camp to get locked in for 8 years or have flexibitly in 5 years?

Do share.

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Connors smart. He takes less and looks like a hero then bolts the first chance he gets. If McDavid takes the max the gms/ownership would indirectly blame him for not being able to fit players in instead of their incompetence.
He should have demanded five or six years at a much lower number to bolt even earlier unless by a miracle ownership gets their **** together.

First he was devestated to come to Edmonton.
Then he wouldn't sign an elc here.
Then he wouldn't sign a max deal here.
Then he'd demand the cap max (actually took 1 million less on his deal)
Now he'll bolt first chance he gets - - - >(leaf fans this is the step you're at right now)

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Oddly enough the one player locked into an awful deal is Kadri. Back to back 30 goal seasons.

Wonder how he feels seeing guys like nylander cash in.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
First he was devestated to come to Edmonton.
Then he wouldn't sign an elc here.
Then he wouldn't sign a max deal here.
Then he'd demand the cap max (actually took 1 million less on his deal)
Now he'll bolt first chance he gets - - - >(leaf fans this is the step you're at right now)
Don't loop in all Leafs fans with a few morons please.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Good:

Leafs will have more flexibility over the next 5 years and my guess is that this is them setting their cup window in a sense...

Bad:

In 5 years if they want to keep Matthews they'll need to pay a ton more than they would've now. Also Marner is 100% getting 10+

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Really it was McDavid who set the market. Once Edmonton backed the truck up for him (well deserved) it opened the floodgates for franchise RFA players.

McDavid took a long term 8 year deal that eats up multiple UFA years. This guy took a extremely lucrative short term deal that takes him almost straight to UFA.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Good:

Leafs will have more flexibility over the next 5 years and my guess is that this is them setting their cup window in a sense...

Bad:

In 5 years if they want to keep Matthews they'll need to pay a ton more than they would've now. Also Marner is 100% getting 10+

Can you explain your good point? How does this open up flexibility? It's still a ton of money and we'll deserved. Are you talking about paying near 12 instead of near 14 million? It's 2 million of savings agreed but is that going to move the needle on a cup run?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Can you explain your good point? How does this open up flexibility? It's still a ton of money and we'll deserved. Are you talking about paying near 12 instead of near 14 million? It's 2 million of savings agreed but is that going to move the needle on a cup run?

Yea that's my point... He would've wanted more. And the difference between 12 and 14 or 10 and 12 is the same, it does make a difference especially when you have to sign a player like Marner.

seventyz78

Sep 25, 2013
This will get ugly for leafland. They are paying all these players top dollars before they have won any cups or individual awards. If these players don’t produce it will be brutal. There’s no way matthewsamd Tavares should be too 2 out of 4 in salary. Toews Kane earner their contracts. The Marner love affair won’t last either. He’s skilled and a good player but there’s numerous other players like him in the league. If he gets 11 million this will be a sideshow.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This will get ugly for leafland. They are paying all these players top dollars before they have won any cups or individual awards. If these players don’t produce it will be brutal. There’s no way matthewsamd Tavares should be too 2 out of 4 in salary. Toews Kane earner their contracts. The Marner love affair won’t last either. He’s skilled and a good player but there’s numerous other players like him in the league. If he gets 11 million this will be a sideshow.

How is having too many elite players a bad thing? These are assets that could be moved if needed down the line.

seventyz78

Sep 25, 2013
How is having too many elite players a bad thing? These are assets that could be moved if needed down the line.
They are not as elite as media and leaf fans make them out to be. The problem isn’t having elite players it’s over paying players like they are elite.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
They are not as elite as media and leaf fans make them out to be. The problem isn’t having elite players it’s over paying players like they are elite.

Really, they seem pretty elite. They would all return a haul of assets if needed. I have to say complaining the Leafs have too many good players is an entertaining way to throw shade.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

seventyz78

Sep 25, 2013
Really, they seem pretty elite. They would all return a haul of assets if needed. I have to say complaining the Leafs have too many good players is an entertaining way to throw shade.
Wait until the playoffs. If they get bounced 1st round. Matthews puts up 2 points itvwill be total chaos in leafland. It’s coming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad