Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 3

How Fair Is This Contract.

• Total voters

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
i just wanna say that this isnt so bad... trade zaitsev and brown anyway you can, horton on ltir, mitch (hopefully) sub 10, at least sub 10.5, leafs will be ok

Reactions: NiftyMits

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So most agree the Leafs got a bad deal here with giving Matthews an 8 year deal cap hit on a 5 year deal? That seems to be the consensus as far as I can tell.

i just wanna say that this isnt so bad... trade zaitsev and brown anyway you can, horton on ltir, mitch (hopefully) sub 10, at least sub 10.5, leafs will be ok

Brown will be easy to move, but I don't think you can move Zaitsev without taking salary back easily.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Interesting words from Brian Lawton, who has been an agent AND a GM. Also, he talks about McDavid - not comparing the contracts, but suggesting McDavid should have taken a few bucks less to help the Oilers build a winner. But what would he know? [mod]

Auston Matthews in a better situation than Connor McDavid, says TV analyst

“Excellent move by the player, good for the Leafs,” says Brian Lawton, a former player, agent, and GM and now a television analyst.

“The Leafs bent just enough to make me just a little bit nervous. $11 million would have put the Leafs in a much better position, but I have been there on both sides and it’s still a good deal for both parties.”

“Connor McDavid made a tragic error, in my opinion, by taking the money he took,” said Lawton. “Not because he’s not worth it. He’s worth more.

“But ultimately he may have done some harm to having that fun of winning. For him, it’s even bigger than that, because he’s a legacy-type player. Ten years from now if Connor McDavid hasn’t won a couple of championships, it really dims the brightness of this incredible player. Sorry, that’s the reality. He will be judged on championships at the end of the day.”

“If McDavid had taken $11 million, Leon Draisaitl ($8.5 million) would be at $7 million. It trickled through the rest of the roster,” Lawton said. “There have been some other moves that have hurt them, but (McDavid’s long-term deal) really truly hurt them as an organization.”

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Leafs overpaid just like they did with Nylander. I get why, but if you're going to overpay at least get an additional year out of it.

It's not a great contract, especially since Matthews hasn't proven he is worth that much (think more 10-10.5M) but it could have been 8/13M, where Marner would have Dubas by the balls (he does already, but even more so).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting words from Brian Lawton, who has been an agent AND a GM. Also, he talks about McDavid - not comparing the contracts, but suggesting McDavid should have taken a few bucks less to help the Oilers build a winner. But what would he know? .

So McDavid should have taken less than Matthews on his contract, despite him being way better and signing for an additional 3 UFA years? Amazing insight as usual from Brian Lawton.

Lawton is an idiot. McDavid signed for 8 years, which included 4 UFA years. To say he should have taken $11 million, when Matthews is making more when being a worse player and on a shorter deal, is bat **** stupid.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It's like what, 1 mill overpayment in terms of cap% when you look at comparables on a 5 year deal? For a player of Matthews caliber I can stomach overpayment. It's when you over pay the Lucics, Backes, Erikssons is when you really f*** up.

Eichels contract was looked as severe overpayment at the time as well -- I have a feeling next off-season this will look more fitting, or even at the end of this summer.

Would've definitely liked that number at 7-8 years, but we have Matthews and Tavares locked up for the next 5 years -- the Leafs will no doubt be one of the better teams throughout those years. Feels f***ing great man.

Next up MM16.

Reactions: Mitchy

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
"I'd move Gardner before Nylander," Sheesh... :facepalm:
Gardner won't be a factor when the cap crunch comes next year because he's a UFA this summer!

I'm not a Leaf fan and even I know that.

Gardiner was definitely moving on from the Leafs this summer no matter what. Like JVR and Bozak last summer.

The Leafs are damn lucky Rielly is locked up to his current deal. But man if he keeps it up he will want Doughty money when his contract is up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's like what, 1 mill overpayment in terms of cap% when you look at comparables on a 5 year deal? For a player of Matthews caliber I can stomach overpayment. It's when you over pay the Lucics, Backes, Erikssons is when you really **** up.

Eichels contract was looked as severe overpayment at the time as well -- I have a feeling next off-season this will look more fitting, or even at the end of this summer.

Would've definitely liked that number at 7-8 years, but we have Matthews and Tavares locked up for the next 5 years -- the Leafs will no doubt be one of the better teams throughout those years.

Next up MM16.

I don't even think the cap hit here is the problem, it's that the Leafs only got him for 5 years. They should have just paid him more to get those additional 3 UFA years, Matthews at $13.5 million for 8 years is better than Matthews at $11.6 million for 5 years. Sure, he'd be overpaid, but having those extra 3 years of control is way more important than getting the cap hit down by $2 million a year.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So McDavid should have taken less than Matthews on his contract, despite him being way better and signing for an additional 3 UFA years? Amazing insight as usual from Brian Lawton.

Lawton is an idiot. McDavid signed for 8 years, which included 4 UFA years. To say he should have taken $11 million, when Matthews is making more when being a worse player and on a shorter deal, is bat **** stupid.

The problem is, no one was forcing him to sign for 8 years. That's actually a bad term to sign for. It increases your immediate cap hit, and you'll probably get another 8 year contract when it's due because you're still in your prime.

Matthews took less actual dollars than McDavid, 2 years later. Just like Getzlaf, Perry, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kane. It gives you a 5 year window to be more competitive. No one knows how the team will look in 8 years, what prospects they will have, or how competitive they will be. 5 years is a long time, and it makes the second contract go to a maximum of 34, and not 37.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016

Maybe Mcdavid should have signed a 5 year deal too and get out of Edmonton quicker!!!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The problem is, no one was forcing him to sign for 8 years. That's actually a bad term to sign for. It increases your immediate cap hit, and you'll probably get another 8 year contract when it's due because you're still in your prime.

Matthews took less actual dollars than McDavid, 2 years later. Just like Getzlaf, Perry, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kane. It gives you a 5 year window to be more competitive. No one knows how the team will look in 8 years, what prospects they will have, or how competitive they will be. 5 years is a long time, and it makes the second contract go to a maximum of 34, and not 37.

This deal may be the equivalent of McDavid making 11M over 5 years, and Drai making 6.5M over 5. What's the benefit for having a player signed for 8 years if it results in missing the playoffs for 8 years?

Reactions: NiftyMits

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Interesting words from Brian Lawton, who has been an agent AND a GM. Also, he talks about McDavid - not comparing the contracts, but suggesting McDavid should have taken a few bucks less to help the Oilers build a winner. But what would he know? [mod]

Auston Matthews in a better situation than Connor McDavid, says TV analyst

“Excellent move by the player, good for the Leafs,” says Brian Lawton, a former player, agent, and GM and now a television analyst.

“The Leafs bent just enough to make me just a little bit nervous. $11 million would have put the Leafs in a much better position, but I have been there on both sides and it’s still a good deal for both parties.”

“Connor McDavid made a tragic error, in my opinion, by taking the money he took,” said Lawton. “Not because he’s not worth it. He’s worth more.

“But ultimately he may have done some harm to having that fun of winning. For him, it’s even bigger than that, because he’s a legacy-type player. Ten years from now if Connor McDavid hasn’t won a couple of championships, it really dims the brightness of this incredible player. Sorry, that’s the reality. He will be judged on championships at the end of the day.”

“If McDavid had taken $11 million, Leon Draisaitl ($8.5 million) would be at $7 million. It trickled through the rest of the roster,” Lawton said. “There have been some other moves that have hurt them, but (McDavid’s long-term deal) really truly hurt them as an organization.”
This is the most scalding of hot takes, and kind of makes me think that Lawton was a terrible agent AND GM.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

No, it's really not. 8 years eats up 4 UFA years and locks up Matthews for his entire prime. I bet you won't be singing the same tune as Matthews is demanding $20 million a year in 5 years, when they could have had him for 3 more years at $13.5 million.

The team should be trying to lock up its superstars for as long as possible, even if it means a higher cap hit in the first few years than on a shorter deal. Know why? Because the higher cap hit now is worth the much lower cap hit in the future, because you'll be saving $5+ million a year in years 6-8 on a 8 year deal vs a 5 year deal.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
No, it's really not. 8 years eats up 4 UFA years and locks up Matthews for his entire prime. I bet you won't be singing the same tune as Matthews is demanding $20 million a year in 5 years, when they could have had him for 3 more years at $13.5 million.

If the Leafs win a cup within that window, I don't care what he wants, I don't care if we trade him. The purpose of the game is to win, not retain players for as long as you can.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Dang. Only 5 years with that cap hit? LOL

Dubas can't be this big of an idiot, right? I mean he had to run this by the higher ups before printing the contract, right????

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005

How could McDavid have taken less than Matthews when McDavid signed first, no matter what the number was? :huh:

If McDavid signed for 11, he would have set the tone and Matthews would have signed less. And Draisaitl. If you had read the quotes, you would have figured that out.

Anyway, it's not as much about McJesus, but more a former agent and GM says the Matthews deal fair deal for both sides. But I assume the keyboard geniuses around here know more than him, because "Lawton is an idiot."

In a year or two, the Matthews deal - like Nylander's - will look like a bargain. Book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad