Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 3

How Fair Is This Contract.

• Total voters

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Leafs fans are living in denial, jesus.
How so? Seeing as he out scored everyone on a goals per game basis since OV. But you know, we are in denial.

The kid is legit. And now that the contract monkey is off his back, watch out, he's going to be straight snap celly all year boyos.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
How so? Seeing as he out scored everyone on a goals per game basis since OV. But you know, we are in denial.

The kid is legit. And now that the contract monkey is off his back, watch out, he's going to be straight snap celly all year boyos.
I don't mean to pick at you, but is this English? Honestly, what the hell does this mean?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Lol why would he get less? He's done better than Matthews last 2 years.

No he hasn't. He might have more points but he's not a center and he's consistently had better line mates. Also Matthews has a point per game of .978 and Marner has .919, not to mention Matthews scores a lot more goals.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I don't mean to pick at you, but is this English? Honestly, what the hell does this mean?

Have you ever heard hockey players talk? Some of them talk like that, not all by any stretch but some definitely do. You can see an exaggerated version of it on the show Letterkenny.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Did not vote.

Here's the thing, I've read/listened to countless opinions of how this is a good, fair deal for both sides and there are plenty of graphs, charts and stats to suggest it's perfectly fine.

But it feels like a big over payment. And I'm loathe to use feelings over facts.

Now, after typing this, I'm reminded that a lot of fans seem to think they'd have been okay with it if there was one more year.
So, if that's the case then it would be a slight over payment. On that, I guess I could agree.
Will vote accordingly.

Reactions: nturn06

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

I was told goals didn’t count in all of those Nylander vs Pastrnak threads. It was all p/gp. Now you’re telling me, with Mathews, goals DO count? I knew this would happen. I knew it.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007

if you don't know, then you don't know.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

LOLMAOLL! at dat bumbaclot Swayzeing up straight ghosted, and act all nicks and dimes on some Henney, but then he lowkey typed it anyway, thots n bots chicken roosters got roosted but he owned it tight tho, gotta reckon dat fecals... straight up Bozak N i feeeel it!!

***edit sorry i meant wind up Bozak N i feeel it

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
No he hasn't. He might have more points but he's not a center and he's consistently had better line mates. Also Matthews has a point per game of .978 and Marner has .919, not to mention Matthews scores a lot more goals.

This is true. Good post. Marner is gonna get paid, and Leafs fans are gonna be happy when he signs for whatever amount. The less the better but just getting him signed is awesome.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
LOLMAOLL! at dat bumbaclot Swayzeing up straight ghosted, and act all nicks and dimes on some Henney, but then he lowkey typed it anyway, thots n bots chicken roosters got roosted but he owned it tight tho, gotta reckon dat fecals... straight up Bozak N i feeeel it!!

***edit sorry i meant wind up Bozak N i feeel it

haha what is going on? this is some straight up Senor Martinez stuff right here lol.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Exactly. It's having contracts like Lucic that hurt, not star players getting paid too much.

Funny, this is coming after the Leafs fans keep explaining to the Oilers fans how bad the Draisaitl deal is.... Oh, the irony...

Reactions: Saidin

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
A team like Montreal could play us, get a hot goalie, and beat us in a 7 game series. Any NHL team can do that to any other in any 1 series in my opinion.

But I can't help but recall how the early 90's Red Wings lost to us in 7. Lost to SJ in 7 with Osgood in tears. Lost to NJ in a finals sweep that was supposed to be their coming out party. Talked about moving Yzerman and how to get over the hump. Had a 62 win regular season and lost in round 2.

How are those 90's Red Wings teams looked back on now? There were many back breaking and extremely emotional defeats on the way to multiple championships. Some times cores need to lose together on the way to figuring out how to win together.

Yup. Any team can win any series and as you said, there's always lumps to be taken on the way there. If you talk to Boston fans, most of them barely even register one of the greatest collapses in all of sports history.....mainly because they won the Cup shortly thereafter. Anyone old enough to remember the Pistons being the Bulls kryptonite? Eventually they got over that hump and never looked back. It's entirely possible the Leaf could lose in round 1 this year. That said, under the plan this was really supposed to be their first playoff year instead of their third. They are on pace for their second consecutive franchise point total record. Over these 3 years they sit 7th overall for wins, only 4 wins short of 3rd best and 13 wins short of 1st in the whole league. They are way ahead of schedule and now must navigate the next step but at least they are navigating it with their core almost entirely young and not yet in prime.

Reactions: Jack Bauer

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I just don't understand the thought process of Dubas.
-Matthews initial ask is $14m/8, pretty high, but that's normal for agents.
-Dubas should have countered with $11.0m/8, maybe a little low, but that's negotiating.
-They meet somewhere in the middle 12.5m/8 Seems about right on line on what he should be making.

Looks much better then $11.6m/5 that ended up happening though, Dubas dropped the ball here.

McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews for an 8 year term, and on an 83M cap it works out to 12.45M. Bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 for a slight overpay. This makes the $11.6m/5 deal look like a travesty.
Did Dubas do any negotiating? Or did he just bend over and say take as much as you want?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just don't understand the thought process of Dubas.
-Matthews initial ask is $14m/8, pretty high, but that's normal for agents.
-Dubas should have countered with $11.0m/8, maybe a little low, but that's negotiating.
-They meet somewhere in the middle 12.5m/8 Seems about right on line on what he should be making.

Looks much better then $11.6m/5 that ended up happening though, Dubas dropped the ball here.

McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews for an 8 year term, and on an 83M cap it works out to 12.45M. Bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 for a slight overpay. This makes the $11.6m/5 deal look like a travesty.
Did Dubas do any negotiating? Or did he just bend over and say take as much as you want?

What's there to understand? The only way Matthews' camp was going to do an eight year deal was at a considerably higher price point, The Leafs couldn't do that for a variety of reasons so this was the compromise. It's not great for the team but they didn't have a lot of leverage.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The Leafs have some of the best depth in the NHL and are only losing Gardiner next year. The following year after they are moving out a 6 million cap hit, so they will be able to add.

How will they not have depth?
The Leafs blueline will continue to be a big '?', and the $$$ tied in 4 guys means other RFA's such as Kapanen, and possibly Johnsson will likely get offer sheets that the Leafs won't have the cap space to match.

Leafs 'depth' will be in the form of guys from the Marlies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The Leafs blueline will continue to be a big '?', and the $$$ tied in 4 guys means other RFA's such as Kapanen, and possibly Johnsson will likely get offer sheets that the Leafs won't have the cap space to match.

Leafs 'depth' will be in the form of guys from the Marlies.

They can keep one of Kapanen or Johnsson comfortably, probably both on bridge deals if we move Brown. We have probably 3-4 NHL ready wingers in the system next year, plus Liljegren and Sandin likely ready for sheltered minutes. The only place we're thin is at C, and that doesn't seem to be an issue for the next 5 years.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
They can keep one of Kapanen or Johnsson comfortably, probably both on bridge deals if we move Brown. We have probably 3-4 NHL ready wingers in the system next year, plus Liljegren and Sandin likely ready for sheltered minutes. The only place we're thin is at C, and that doesn't seem to be an issue for the next 5 years.
'Bridge deals' for how much $$$?

It's already rumored that some GMs will offer Kapanen $4 million (only costing them a future 2nd round draft pick)...Will the Leafs have that much available, and will they be capable of moving certain pieces in order to keep their 'tier 2' guys?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
'Bridge deals' for how much $$$?

It's already rumored that some GMs will offer Kapanen $4 million (only costing them a future 2nd round draft pick)...Will the Leafs have that much available, and will they be capable of moving certain pieces in order to keep their 'tier 2' guys?

Where is it rumored? If Kapanen signs a long-term 4 million dollar deal, we're laughing. You need to get into the 6+ range before it's a serious hesitation.

We can move enough pieces to keep him around at least one year and then trade him for a way more than a 2nd round pick if he doesn't fit the cap structure long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad