Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) (Mod note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
and I'll keep replying the same post if the same crap keeps getting spewed.

Maybe your starting to catch up.

Should we be concerned about our future?
I don’t know, maybe, maybe not. I’m legitimately not talking about it. Why do you keep asking me that question?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tarasenko 7.5M - 27
ROR 7.5M - 28
Schwartz 5.3M -27
Schenn 5.1M -28
Total: 25.4M

Marchand 6.1M - 31
Bergeron 6.8M - 34
Pasta 6.6M - 23
Krecji 7.2M - 33
Total 26.7M

Matthews 11.6M - 21
Tavares 11M - 28
Marner 10.8M - 22
Nylander 6.9M - 23
Total 40.3M
It's even worse if you do it with just the top three.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I assume Mitch is still public enemy number 1 in TO? Fans have been livid with his demands and just under 11 mill is crazy.

I'm just in shock where salaries are going in this league without the cap significantly raising much lately

Reactions: CupsOverCash

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
It's okay if other people disagree with the state of the Leafs. You don't need to take it personally.
Here’s a question; does Winnipeg even make the playoffs this year.
Realistically, when will we see the best make the playoffs again?
How did they do with the playoff window Atlanta created for them.
Now reality sets in.... the least desirable hockey city in the league is back on its path to being moved to another city

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No it was more/less people in shock they would spend over 33 mill on 3 forwards.. most people knew it would get done, everyone is just laughing how much was spent on the 3 guys I believe
I mean, theyre elite players. Id rather have 3 elite players and have to pay them. There are teams out there who wouldnt pay any players that regardless of how good they are. They just lose all their best players.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Tarasenko 7.5M - 27
ROR 7.5M - 28
Schwartz 5.3M -27
Schenn 5.1M -28

Marchand 6.1M - 31
Bergeron 6.8M - 34
Pasta 6.6M - 23
Krecji 7.2M - 33
Total 26.7M

Matthews 11.6M - 21
Tavares 11M - 28
Marner 10.8M - 22
Nylander 6.9M - 23
Total 40.3M
One of those have rosters have won a cup and other 2 finals appearances, the other just won the cup, and the other hasn’t won a round since 2004. Obviously if the leafs win the cup in the next few years than all that doesn’t matter, but damn, that is a lot of money tied up on 4 guys. Granted, 4 incredibly talented players, but still...

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015
I assume Mitch is still public enemy number 1 in TO? Fans have been livid with his demands and just under 11 mill is crazy.

I'm just in shock where salaries are going in this league without the cap significantly raising much lately
Hate the deal.
He just put the leafs banner back on his Twitter after having it down during contract negotiations.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Are Leaf fans happy about this deal? Up till yesterday fans wanted Marners head for asking 11ish mill... and now its reality and going thru alot of this thread, it seems like alot of fans are estatic

Reactions: BlueMed

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
none of those people are anchors in the defensive zone. No one if Leafs land seems to worry about that, but its important in the playoffs

Yes, it's not secret that we're not going to be able to afford a typical stud defender unless we trade someone like Nylander. However, I'm more than satisfied that we'll present a solid 7-8/10 when it comes to our defensive corps. Combine that with the 9-10/10 forward corps and we're good. We finished 6th and 7th the past two seasons and have one of the youngest teams in the NHL comprised of stars that are just entering their primes.

Looking at the Stanley cup winners over the past 10 years show you don't always need a Drew Doughty to succeed (see Pittsburgh).

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Tarasenko 7.5M - 27
ROR 7.5M - 28
Schwartz 5.3M -27
Schenn 5.1M -28

Marchand 6.1M - 31
Bergeron 6.8M - 34
Pasta 6.6M - 23
Krecji 7.2M - 33
Total 26.7M

Matthews 11.6M - 21
Tavares 11M - 28
Marner 10.8M - 22
Nylander 6.9M - 23
Total 40.3M
That middle group is getting close to retirement.

Reactions: Marshy

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The argument that the Leafs can't keep JT, Nylander, Marner and Matthews is the #1 criticism I've heard, both on this forum and in private and public circles. There was also the argument that Dubas would have to trade one or both of Kapanen and Johnsson to ensure that those four players could be signed.

Now, they are all signed, but is it a detriment to the team? You would think so, but currently the Leafs have a very formidable team. The D is improved and there is great secondary support. Of course, things get complicated when Barrie and Muzzin come up for renewal, then Rielly and Andersen in 2-3 years, but Dubas has shown that he can pull a rabbit out of the hat and work cap magic. After this unbelievable off-season where he revamped the Leafs, when they were expected to be in cap hell with a weak supporting cast, I have reasonable faith in him at the helm.

The whole “they can’t keep them all” is being taken to literally and out of context. You can always make room to keep the players if you want them bad enough. The main argument was you can’t keep them all and be serious as far as contenders. The Leafs management obviously did. Let’s see how they build around that much cap.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Pretty obvious, based on my post history who I cheer for....

But I don't care about contracts anymore. It's not my job. I realize that it effects how a team can spend or what they can do within the season, but... once again, Not my job.

People making far more money then I, are required to deal with it. Tell me Marner is making $10.8M I don't care, good for him for being able to be paid as much as he is. I don't care if he didn't get paid and was traded, the contract talk in this league really takes away from the on ice product. You don't hear other leagues talk about contracts nearly this much. They touch on length, and when someone will be UFA or "get paid" or whatever, but that's it.

I'm done caring about what percent of the cap a player makes. I'll pay attention to term. That's about it.

Bottom line is, who cares? Outside the people making the money, and the Canadian networks, that in turn hope we do. That's about it.

Reactions: Lilou

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, it's not secret that we're not going to be able to afford a typical stud defender unless we trade someone like Nylander. However, I'm more than satisfied that we'll present a solid 7-8/10 when it comes to our defensive corps. Combine that with the 9-10/10 forward corps and we're good. We finished 6th and 7th the past two seasons and have one of the youngest teams in the NHL comprised of stars that are just entering their primes.

Looking at the Stanley cup winners over the past 10 years show you don't always need a Drew Doughty to succeed (see Pittsburgh).
Your not even close to Pittsburgh. You wont come close to winning a cup with that defense. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad