Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) (Mod note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
I'll make sure to have a laugh at the Leafs forum threads around January complaining about Barrie the same way they did Gardiner, thanks.
At the end of the day, they still don't have to live in Winnipeg...so even if the hockey doesn't work out, it's a win if you're comparing.

Reactions: MardyBum

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
So players shouldn't make big money till they win a cup? Is McDavid unproven too?

I am not saying that players should have to win a cup before they get paid. I was just pointing out the ridiculous contract demands of toronto players compared to other superstars in the league, especially those that have won cups.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
can anyone tell me if we should be concerned about the next few years?
I’m not concerned, I’m stoked we have a guy locked up for much cheaper who legit dummies the Leafs on a nightly basis. Wait, we have another 100 point guy locked up for much, much cheaper too. Oh, and another guy!

All is fine over here.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, lots of people quivering over the team that can't make it out of the first round having $15M in space next year with one defender under contract.
Multiple analysts have been saying for years that teams should be overpaying their young stars versus average veteran players. Maybe worry about the Red Wings fielding a team first before whining about the Leafs doing what every other team should be doing with their young players.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I'm debating my next jersey to buy, should it be "Defenseman1" or "One of Four 4th line forwards"?

You throw these solutions out there as if they will keep/make the Leafs instant contenders. You can't do it with 6 generic $800k players on a roster.

You also seem to have a crystal ball regarding the Cap?

Well, thank god we have $15,173,134 in space next year plus the 3-5M increase from the cap which would mean 18-20M in total cap space. If we like Barrie and he wants to stay in Toronto we can easily fit him in:

Here's a quick example that will take care of all the UFA/RFA we have next year:

Barrie - 8M
Dermott - $2.5
Lilegren - $863,333
Sandin - $894,167
Defenseman1 - 2M
Defenseman2 - 700K
Four 4th line forwards at 800K each = 3.2M
18.2M Total

I always laugh at other fans trying to denigrate our management team especially given the number of times someone posted that we would never be able to afford the big four forwards even though I and others showed them otherwise. You guys realize we have one of the strongest front offices in the league including someone who worked on the cap itself? It's like you think the front office is constantly drunk and throwing darts at a board. Any possible overpays for our stars is in the 500k to 1M range which is not going to affect us. We're past the toughest cap year we were going to face and it will get easier from here especially as the cap jumps up due to Seattle expansion/gambling revenue etc.

Reilly will get paid by us in 3 years and frankly he deserves it, probably 8-10M. Depending how much space is added to the cap the players I see getting squeezed are Anderson or Hyman in 2021. Every other year we should have the money needed for our RFA/UFA's just based on cap increases alone.

Reactions: Nothingbutglass

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You mean one of those "folks" that now works for the Leafs?

That guy?

Perhaps you should look up when that 10% is the max cap..

Perhaps you should actually re-write that last sentence in proper English so what you're saying can be understood and a proper response can be developed.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Dubas is good at the drafting and trading side of things but he's brutal at signings. The Leafs will have what? Three of the five highest players in the league? And then Nylander.
It's hard to imagine how anyone could have done worse on this.
The window looks like it is the next few years. The team should be really strong for those years though.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Well, thank god we have $15,173,134 in space next year plus the 3-5M increase from the cap which would mean 18-20M in total cap space. If we like Barrie and he wants to stay in Toronto we can easily fit him in:

Here's a quick example that will take care of all the UFA/RFA we have next year:

Barrie - 8M
Dermott - $2.5
Lilegren - $863,333
Sandin - $894,167
Defenseman1 - 2M
Defenseman2 - 700K
Four 4th line forwards at 800K each = 3.2M
18.2M Total

I always laugh at other fans trying to denigrate our management team especially given the number of times someone posted that we would never be able to afford the big four forwards even though I and others showed them otherwise. You guys realize we have one of the strongest front offices in the league including someone who worked on the cap itself? It's like you think the front office is constantly drunk and throwing darts at a board. Any possible overpays for our stars is in the 500k to 1M range which is not going to affect us. We're past the toughest cap year we were going to face and it will get easier from here especially as the cap jumps up due to Seattle expansion/gambling revenue etc.

Reilly will get paid by us in 3 years and frankly he deserves it, probably 8-10M. Depending how much space is added to the cap the players I see getting squeezed are Anderson or Hyman in 2021. Every other year we should have the money needed for our RFA/UFA's just based on cap increases alone.

In all honesty, having your 2nd pairing built out of two players who aren’t even regulars in your lineup yet, and the bottom pair hopefully made out of one league min player and one 2 mil player (is this Dermot) is not overly confidence inspiring

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This refers to the 10% cushion of overage a team is allowed to go over during the offseason. There is no limit to how much a team can go over the cap with ltir.

So they still have to clear $5M before October 1st.... Asking for a friend.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The anger from other fans is comical.

We heard over and over the leafs were screwed and theyd lise these guys. Supposedly there was no way to fit them. Marleau and zaitsev out, theyre all signed, and you get some posters scrambling for something to criticize.... :laugh:

Reactions: Kamiccolo and Lilou

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Multiple analysts have been saying for years that teams should be overpaying their young stars versus average veteran players. Maybe worry about the Red Wings fielding a team first before whining about the Leafs doing what every other team should be doing with their young players.

Nahh, I'm good. We're fielding the worst team we've had in 30 years and still win as many playoff series as the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad