Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs sign Nikita Zaitsev to extension (7 years, $4.5m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
bad deal. Idk why they would do this type of commitment. Hes played just one season. And wasnt anything special to deserve a 7 year deal. He isnt amazing offensively nor defensively, hes just good to decent at both ends of the ice. Weird deal.

36 points for a rookie D is pretty good, the Leafs bought up his UFA years and likely saved themselves. Zaitsev got stability, the Leafs likely saved money long-term. Win-Win situation

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He managed to maintain a 50+ CF% playing against top competition in a new league, on a smaller ice surface, on a new continent.

He put up 36 points, and he took a long time to get his first goal, so I expect that total to increase.

This could very well never turn into an amazing deal, but it will never be a bad deal

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I think he is 25, turning 26 in October. 33 when this contract ends.

26 in the next season. 32 in his last season of the 7 year deal. (26,27,28,29,30,31,32)

Gotcha. Well, yeah there is a risk, but if he improves (and his point totals this year outside of defensive play are solid) and stays on this path, it looks like an incredible deal. At some point you either overpay in FA for a guy whos very good, or you take a risk on term with a guy like Zait and hope it pays off. I don't blame them for going this path especially if the cap keeps going up. ****, we're paying Ryan Callahan 5.8 million for god knows what, even if Zait blows thats still a manageable cost (and you can eat half and flip him somewhere else, 2m is 3rd line money you plug a kid into). I think its risk, but calculated risk.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think there's some risk but really not that much.

He's a top 4 dman right now. He's got some questions marks still about how he'll trend in the future but he's getting a fair price as of this moment. If he improves after his rookie year even a little, I think it's a great deal to have for trying to take advantage of the cap in the future.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I don't get why people are expecting him to get worse with time considering this was his first year in the NHL and on North American ice.

Usually a player gets better after their rookie season, not worse.

Obviously a bit of risk but chances are he will stay a top 4 defender and 4.5 million is below marked value.
Think how much Alzner is going to get paid in FA. Now that will be a bad contract.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
I like this deal for the leafs for a couple of reasons.

1. He's right handed. Babcock doesn't like playing guys on their off hand so it's important to have two top four right handed dman. There's no way Toronto would be able to sign or trade for two without overpaying huge.

2. His advanced stats weren't great but that because he was thrown to the wolves with Rielly. Zaitsev looked great on the second pairing with Gardiner. When I watched the games during the regular season he was our best guy out there most nights.

3. You have to gamble with long term contracts like this sometimes in order to be a strong cap team (if they workout). They are going to have to pay some players huge so getting guy like Zaitsev and Kadri on long term contracts at lower cap makes sense to me.

I'm pretty biased since I loved his game from the start but i think he will only improve with more time. I hope I'm right in liking this deal.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He's been outstanding this season
You're joking right??
He's been awful defensively. Both of the rangers power play goals were his fault entirely. He left kreider infront of the net and stood infront of him both times..... Didn't even try and get him out so freddy could see.

Same exact play both times

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
he ain't joking.

zaitsev is playing like a #1. most minutes and toughest qualcomp on the dcorps, dominant possession (62.9xgf% adj), and racking up 4pts in 3gms.

Reactions: RayB

varano

Jun 27, 2013
he ain't joking.

zaitsev is playing like a #1. most minutes and toughest qualcomp on the dcorps, dominant possession (62.9xgf% adj), and racking up 4pts in 3gms.
Did you read what I said at all?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You're joking right??
He's been awful defensively. Both of the rangers power play goals were his fault entirely. He left kreider infront of the net and stood infront of him both times..... Didn't even try and get him out so freddy could see.

Yeah, really, both? Are you sure for 100%?

Reactions: RayB

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
He's playing very well. Being 25, right handed and slotted naturally in the top 4 this is worth it for the Leafs. Not to say their top pairings are perfect, but that could change with a trade.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I still don't like giving him so much term.

But he does look more comfortable this year and the AAV is good for what he provides.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
You're joking right??

lol.. awful defensively? He's looked like our best overall Dman so far.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
This contract was great the day it was signed. Only the stats watchers criticized it after Rielly had a terrible second half and dragged Zaitsev down with him.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad