Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs sign Nikita Zaitsev to extension (7 years, $4.5m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
@FissionFire @TWGL yes risk of further decline should be considered, but that's also mitigated against the cap. I agree that his contract hurts his value, I disagree with the idea that he's some albatross that we'll need to pay to move.
If Dubas decides to move him the acquiring team is going to use that contract risk and gamble on getting a 4RHD for a heavily discounted price (and I think they'll win the gamble).
I imagine the Leafs would have to pay to move the contract as is, but it certainly won't be at the cost of Liljegrin or a 1st, which seems to be the ridiculous notion being bandied around. The AAV is whatever, but no team will be keen on that term - which was a fair criticism on Day 1 of the contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
@FissionFire @TWGL yes risk of further decline should be considered, but that's also mitigated against the cap. I agree that his contract hurts his value, I disagree with the idea that he's some albatross that we'll need to pay to move.
If Dubas decides to move him the acquiring team is going to use that contract risk and gamble on getting a 4RHD for a heavily discounted price (and I think they'll win the gamble).

If he played on the Habs, he would not crack the roster consistently just like Alzner. 5 more years at $4.5M for a bottom paring D man at best? Don't fool yourself, no team thinks about acquiring him and playing him top 4D.

There were rumors that Dubas was trying to move him at the last deadline and I believe this to be true. Good luck with that. I think Zaitsev is better than Alzner but not by much. 5 more years in term hurts! Leafs would be asked to retain in any trade negotiations and Leafs say no cause they need the cap space. Then it comes down to adding future assets to make the deal attractive for the other GM

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I imagine the Leafs would have to pay to move the contract as is, but it certainly won't be at the cost of Liljegrin or a 1st, which seems to be the ridiculous notion being bandied around. The AAV is whatever, but no team will be keen on that term - which was a fair criticism on Day 1 of the contract.

The Leafs don't dictate what the add is on top of Zaitsev to get rid of him. The other GM does. Leafs are forced to say yes or no. If another team ask for a 1st or Liljegren, what you going to do? Offer a 2nd and force them to take the deal with a crowbar? lol

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The Leafs don't dictate what the add is on top of Zaitsev to get rid of him. The other GM does. Leafs are forced to say yes or no. If another team ask for a 1st or Liljegren, what you going to do? Offer a 2nd and force them to take the deal with a cro bar? lol
I never said anything about the Leafs dictating terms. I am saying I believe another team would take Zaitsev for less than a 1st or Liljegrin. If all 30 NHL teams did demand these pieces, he simply won't be moved - as that price is outrageous based on pretty much every cap dump trade to date.

Many posters, yourself included, tend to take anything Leaf related to some wicked extremes. Zaitsev has value as an NHL player. At his cap hit he is a bit overpaid, but nothing crippling. The 5 years remaining is the only scary part of his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->