Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs sign Nikita Zaitsev to extension (7 years, $4.5m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Don Cherry said last round that he didn't like the idea of 7 years and showed defensive break downs. Wasn't overly impressed.

That's basically all I know about him.

Your first problem was tuning in Don Cherry.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I know hes good, but... I don't know, man, it seems like just a little much a little too soon. On the other hand, this could be brilliant in 1-3 years if he keeps developing. Scared money don't make none.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I can honestly say he's a legitimate top 4 NHL D-man at 24 years old. Worth the money. His ceiling however is a #2 or #3. This could be a steal... and at worst you have a good top 4 guy at 4.5 million.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wow 7 years. I thought the new Mgt with the Leafs would cut down on the long term contracts that the previous Mgt teams were criticized for. Probably 2-3 years longer than I would have preferred.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
7 years? Not smart.

I tend to agree it's too much term. A lot can happen in 7 years! He ain't no Duncan Keith! I think a 4 or 5 year deal would of been less risky and accomplished the same thing they were looking for (cheaper AAV).

Giving anyone a 7 year deal after only one year of NHL experience is not a smart move. It may work out just fine or it may back fire and then you have a problem on your hands. True character of a player is determined by more than just one season.

However, having said all of this. It always takes two sides in any negotiation. Nobody knows what each side started at in term and in AAV.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
7 years takes him to his, what, age 31/32 season? I don't find that unreasonable.

Except your banking on Zaitsev being the exact same player for those 7 years. It does have risk as he only ever played one season in the NHL! It has nothing to do with age. Most long term deals (6+ years) are given to player who have proven themselves over several seasons!

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Yushkevich was one of Zaitsev's first KHL coaches. I'm sure a recommendation regarding Zaitsev's work ethic and character has long since been communicated. And Yushkevich has high standards.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
I can honestly say he's a legitimate top 4 NHL D-man at 24 years old. Worth the money. His ceiling however is a #2 or #3. This could be a steal... and at worst you have a good top 4 guy at 4.5 million.

You can say he earned that role for 1 season, on a bottom-5 defensive unit in the league.

If you look at his comparable contracts they got fairly fleeced, the term is completely unwarranted. Josi, Lindholm, Klingberg, etc all received very similar deals**

**However, those players earned their contracts by playing several strong seasons in the NHL, several several seasons that were all better than Zaitsev's.

He's played 1 singular season in the league and while I realize they absorbed all difficult responsibilities to protect Gardiner's flaws, he was still over -20 in his only year in the league.

Even if it had 5mil cap hit but for only 4 years, it would be a better contract for the leafs.

I really just don't see the point in the astronomical term, that is only advisable when the player has long-term upside and can eventually make the contract a bargain. Zaitsev just doesn't have a ton of upside, probably a #3 defender in the league is his peak.

There are PLENTY of downsides too. His downside is a 3rd pairing / not even NHL defender / goes to KHL and isn't in the league.

He isn't an established career top-4 D who's been doing it for 10 years. He played the role once on a team that had no one else who could. KEY point.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
You can say he earned that role for 1 season, on a bottom-5 defensive unit in the league.

If you look at his comparable contracts they got fairly fleeced, the term is completely unwarranted. Josi, Lindholm, Klingberg, etc all received very similar deals**

**However, those players earned their contracts by playing several strong seasons in the NHL, several several seasons that were all better than Zaitsev's.

He's played 1 singular season in the league and while I realize they absorbed all difficult responsibilities to protect Gardiner's flaws, he was still over -20 in his only year in the league.

Even if it had 5mil cap hit but for only 4 years, it would be a better contract for the leafs.

I really just don't see the point in the astronomical term, that is only advisable when the player has long-term upside and can eventually make the contract a bargain. Zaitsev just doesn't have a ton of upside, probably a #3 defender in the league is his peak.

There are PLENTY of downsides too. His downside is a 3rd pairing / not even NHL defender / goes to KHL and isn't in the league.

He isn't an established career top-4 D who's been doing it for 10 years. He played the role once on a team that had no one else who could. KEY point.

He also isn't a kid coming from Junior. He was a top pairing D-man in the 2nd best league in the world for a couple of seasons too.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Don Cherry said last round that he didn't like the idea of 7 years and showed defensive break downs. Wasn't overly impressed.

That's basically all I know about him.

Here is Don Cherry on scouting and how he would draft and build a team

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Wow 7 years. I thought the new Mgt with the Leafs would cut down on the long term contracts that the previous Mgt teams were criticized for. Probably 2-3 years longer than I would have preferred.

So you'd prefer going 3-4 years at alot more cap hit?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The only way to get that caphit is to go that term.

Not necessarily when you consider the Leafs had to buy 6 years of free agency, particularly all of Zaitsev's prime years.

Term is longer than I would have preferred. 5 would have been good in my books... it's a risk.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Klingberg, Klefbom, and Josi all got their contracts after 1 NHL season. Hence why the cap hits are so low. If those teams had waited 2 more years to give those players 7 year deals they would be in the 5.5-6 range at least. Josi would probably be even higher.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

So you sign him for 2-3 years, if he progresses which he likely will you risk losing him as a UFA or you have to pay him 6-7 mil a year when you'll have to pay the Big 3. Worst case scenario is he regresses and likely bolts to Russia which then causes his contract to be voided, this was brilliant by Leafs management.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
bad deal. Idk why they would do this type of commitment. Hes played just one season. And wasnt anything special to deserve a 7 year deal. He isnt amazing offensively nor defensively, hes just good to decent at both ends of the ice. Weird deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad