Confirmed with Link: [TOR/LVK] Vegas select F Brenden Leipsic from TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I think there is another expansion coming, so it will be interesting to see who is willing to give out those NMC's.

Perhaps will have another category, NMC's that are null and void for expansion drafts.

With the way teams sign and trade you will see the NMC showig up on 1-2 year contracts. Very likly alot less on long term deals unless its in a bidding war.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Also may I add that if we exposed Martin and protected Leipsic, we would have lost Rychel, which would be a similar kind of loss. No matter what happened, one of those two was leaving as Martin provides zero value to Vegas.

Then protect Rychel is all we where saying.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Ecstatic they didn't take Rychel. He's younger, has a higher floor, led the team in points and brings a unique element to the pool/roster. Anyone who watched the Marlies this year knows how promising he is moving forward after his breakout year. Leipsic has more raw skill and was one of my favourite guys to watch this season, but I worry he will be a long-term tweaner in the mould of a Keith Aucoin or Seth Griffith. Simply too small despite his stocky build, and just doesn't have the high-end skating to overcome his deficiencies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think the point he's trying to make is that if we wanted to keep Rachel for sure, we should have just protected him and exposed Martin, even if it had zero impact on the end result.

Ahhhhh.

Honestly, I doubt Lou and co really cared. I dont think Leipsic or Rychel figure into the long term plan

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'm very aware of "team structure" but the only reason teams are structured like that is because nobody does it differently. Martin plays 10 5v5 minutes a game, doesn't PK, doesn't PP. Why not use a guy like Leipsic or Leivo in that spot?? Oh I forgot we need a team dad.

You're clueless.

The question becomes are either of Rychel or Leipsic worth spending assets on to ensure Martin would have been selected by Vegas? I assume the organization didn't think so. Martin would not have been taken for the fact he provides low value on the ice, and even lower value in a trade. Literally a useless pick for an expansion team.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I like Leipsic but if we were to lose either Leivo, Rychel or Leipsic, I pick Leipsic every time.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The question becomes are either of Rychel or Leipsic worth spending assets on to ensure Martin would have been selected by Vegas? I assume the organization didn't think so. Martin would not have been taken for the fact he provides low value on the ice, and even lower value in a trade. Literally a useless pick for an expansion team.
Who'd need a fan favourite to generate interest via physical play and fights on a new team expected to be bad?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Who'd need a fan favourite to generate interest via physical play and fights on a new team expected to be bad?

But at the same time, which expansion team would select an overpaid face puncher over a player that has more upside when their forward depth and high end talent is already trash? The point is to build a winning team. More tickets would be sold to watch a contender than a goon squad.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
But at the same time, which expansion team would select an overpaid face puncher over a player that has more upside when their forward depth and high end talent is already trash? The point is to build a winning team. More tickets would be sold to watch a contender than a goon squad.
And do you think Leipsic makes them a contender? I'm betting you dont. Hell, they could easily lose a guy like him on waivers in the next year or two.

How'd Martin get to be so overpaid? Usually UFA prices are set on market demand, and his salary suggests there was demand for him.

The idea that they wouldn't touch Martin is pretty misguided in my eyes. They're taking a shot with an unproven prospect who slots in behind ~8-10 of our current wingers. They could have had a well known NHLer who is good in the room and a fan favourite.

I get Leipsic has higher potential, but this isn't Mitch Marner were losing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
And do you think Leipsic makes them a contender? I'm betting you dont. Hell, they could easily lose a guy like him on waivers in the next year or two.

How'd Martin get to be so overpaid? Usually UFA prices are set on market demand, and his salary suggests there was demand for him.

The idea that they wouldn't touch Martin is pretty misguided in my eyes. They're taking a shot with an unproven prospect who slots in behind ~8-10 of our current wingers. They could have had a well known NHLer who is good in the room and a fan favourite.

I get Leipsic has higher potential, but this isn't Mitch Marner were losing.

I'm with you.
Martin would very likely have been picked for the reasons you've listed as well as being a Player they could very easily Market to the fans.

I doubt they're very excited about Leipsic.

Martin would have been picked up by Vegas. Their management loves face punchers, and Martin's got a face you can put on a billboard. They won't be marketing wins for the next few years, so they'd be marketing personalities.

This guy gets it.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I feel they could have been more ruthless. They laided up hope it works for them.

Agreed. I guess if they took that angle, teams would have been more aggressive in moving players ahead of the draft, leaving Vegas with leftovers anyway. This way they at least get a few extra picks and players while building goodwill with the other GMs.

But it would have made for a more interesting week and might have made Vegas more competitive in the short term if they had been more ruthless.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Martin would have been picked up by Vegas. Their management loves face punchers, and Martin's got a face you can put on a billboard. They won't be marketing wins for the next few years, so they'd be marketing personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad