Confirmed with Link: [TOR/LVK] Vegas select F Brenden Leipsic from TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
No big loss whoever they take. Leafs are one of few teams who lose nothing really. Yet, could benefit from Vegas expansion draft. Leafs are in better shape than many other teams who are ageing fast.

Yep, we are one of the few teams that will improve from the Expansion draft. I could be wrong but we may be the only playoff team that does.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
How can you have more knowledge about something without even having complete information. Makes no sense. Nobody here has been in the Maple Leafs dressing room game-day.

The only thing folks here have are stats and they're looking at things in a statistical vacuum. Y'all don't even go past the basics of augmenting things for the various roles these players play.

Stop assuming you know 100% of the posters here along with who they know and what they know.

I said very clearly Depending on the area of knowledge

That can be coaching, prospects, other organizations depth, or anything else under the sun that falls under a pro hockey organization.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
No problem losing a small forward who has questionable skill at the NHL level.

Leafs fans will lose their minds when he puts up 40-45 points on a bad Vegas team but I'm okay with losing him over Rychel. We need size in our lineup.

We have so many Leipsic type prospects right now.

We got away very easy this time around in expansion. If there is another expansion in 3-4 years time (which is very likely that the league goes to 32 teams) we are going to give up someone very good. Marner, Nylander, Matthews etc will all have to be protected.

Our 15-16 tank year had our leading scorer at 45 points.

No way Leipsic gets more then 30 next year in Vegas imo

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Because he regularly proves that he does and people still use the tired "his cousin was..." argument when there was zero proof of Dreger getting inside info from Nonis while he was here and if anything Bobby Mac broke most Leafs news for TSN.

Questioning whether an insider has inside information on something that will simply be proven in 4 hours can absolutely happen. But will you retract your statements when he's right or just try and pile on more to make him look inferior?

If i take the other side of the coin and say Vegas takes Rychel and if they do will that make me an insider as well ?

also he didn't say Vegas was going to take Leipsec he said he heard rumblings they would , which is his typical non committal crap that he spews constantly

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
If i take the other side of the coin and say Vegas takes Rychel and they do will that make me an insider as well ?

also he didn't say Vegas was going to take Leipsec he said he heard rumblings they would , which is his typical non committal crap that he spews constantly

No, but nobody is paying you to be an insider with your real name.

Are you actually saying TSN employs an insider, solely as an insider, who has no inside sources? Seems to me it would be easy to get rid of someone like that. Why keep him around?

It's not about being right. You can go visit Eklund's lottery of randomness and lose your mind over him getting 1 right. It's about an insider saying "I heard this" and it ended up bring true later that same day proving the source was legit. As a 1 off that means nothing I agree.

We're talking about an insider who has worked for both main networks as an insider and is still employed as one.

Your angle on it feels very petty.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Lots of rationalizing gong on here ("Ah well we were going to lose him anyway and he's no big loss.")

Methinks Leipsic will become a player in this league and one that got away.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Stop assuming you know 100% of the posters here along with who they know and what they know.

I said very clearly Depending on the area of knowledge

That can be coaching, prospects, other organizations depth, or anything else under the sun that falls under a pro hockey organization.

Toronto Maple Leafs fans are the most knowledgeable hockey fans on the planet. We're still working with incomplete information unless some of us work for the organization, play for the organization, or have family/friends that do.

My post was a little misguided though, as it was aimed at those who criticize management for choosing to keep Matt Martin over a Leipsic/Rychel. You and I both agree that a functional team requires a variety of skill-sets to set it apart.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We can likely pick him up on waivers in October.

And if we can't, guys who Leipsic project to be sign UFA deals for 1m every single season. This isnt a big loss in any respect.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
No, but nobody is paying you to be an insider with your real name.

Are you actually saying TSN employs an insider, solely as an insider, who has no inside sources? Seems to me it would be easy to get rid of someone like that. Why keep him around?

It's not about being right. You can go visit Eklund's lottery of randomness and lose your mind over him getting 1 right. It's about an insider saying "I heard this" and it ended up bring true later that same day proving the source was legit. As a 1 off that means nothing I agree.

We're talking about an insider who has worked for both main networks as an insider and is still employed as one.

Your angle on it feels very petty.

"petty" ? i couldn't give a damn about the guy , you however seem to have a vested interest in protecting his "inside knowledge" which he has very little of

member 262271

Very fond of Brendan, so from a player like standpoint this is disappointing. However I'm also amazed this is all we can lose, and feel pretty good for that fact.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It sucks losing Leipsic, but we got off easier than almost everyone else in the league as our best players were expansion draft exempt. Leipsic was not worth flipping assets to protect, but by the time the next expansion draft comes around, we'll have to pull off some trades to avoid losing a good player.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I've always liked him but I'm fine with this if it's true. He'll probably be a third liner at best, and he's behind at least 6 or 7 U25 wingers on the depth chart already. I'd much rather keep Rychel, he brings a more unique skillset to the table

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I've always liked him but I'm fine with this if it's true. He'll probably be a third liner at best, and he's behind at least 6 or 7 U25 wingers on the depth chart already. I'd much rather keep Rychel, he brings a more unique skillset to the table

Not to mention that he caught fire in the second half of the season and arguably outperformed Leipsic from a February onward.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well, I think he does have a chance at being better than a few players who will likely be on the Leafs next year.

Again, not a devestating loss by any means, but we'll see how he fairs over the next couple seasons to see if Leafs management made a mistake letting him go for free. Time will tell, ect.

they were going to lose someone and I would have been irritated had Lou wasted assets trying to protect him. I don't really give a crap what Leipsic does because I have to believe that they'd find a better replacement.

again like i said - so many people freak over the players who won't be around in 3-5 years anyway. why stress get worked up over those people. they come and go. not every AHL star translates into an NHL star. i know we want to keep everyone and we side-eye players who do well, but that's a GOOD thing. if we were trading that's a good thing because we don't give up duds, it's a good thing because it means we can identify talent (and that we've got better options in house). this idea that we should hoard all the talent and give up bad players doesn't make sense to me. we want to be at a place that we've always good talent churning in and out so it doesn't impact us as an organization.

we already got our elite pieces up front. everything else is moot.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Our 15-16 tank year had our leading scorer at 45 points.

No way Leipsic gets more then 30 next year in Vegas imo

It's possible, and simply because of usage. He has some talent, without question. If he gets heavy TOI, including PP time, then why not?
Doesn't mean he cracks our lineup.

member 262271

It's possible, and simply because of usage. He has some talent, without question. If he gets heavy TOI, including PP time, then why not?
Doesn't mean he cracks our lineup.

I think maybe he could get that sort of opportunity in Vegas, certainly not 1st unit PP time, but maybe chance to show what he can do. It's on the defensive side of things where there would be a huge learning curve, based on that alone he wouldn't make the Leafs.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Lots of rationalizing gong on here ("Ah well we were going to lose him anyway and he's no big loss.")

Methinks Leipsic will become a player in this league and one that got away.

Is it really rationalizing if the rules are EVERY team has to lose a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad