Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs re-sign Joey Anderson (3 years, $750K AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Babcock absolutely had a massive influence on how Barrie played in Toronto. Here are Barrie’s stats during and post-Babcock in 2019-20.

Under Babcock:
7 points in 23 games (25 point pace)
Minus 11

Under Keefe:
32 points in 47 games (56 point pace)
Plus 4

I’m not saying Barrie was the perfect defenseman, as i’m the first to admit that his defensive game is sub par. But under Keefe he played like a second paring, puck moving power play QB. This is exactly what Dubas was intending on acquiring, and it definitely didn’t work out initially when Babcock destroyed the player Barrie has always been.
The trade not working out shouldn’t be completely blamed on Dubas, and it’s not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. I think everyone knew Kadri would flourish in Colorado with more offensive opportunities. Dubas wanted to acquire a 50 - 60 point RHD and a 35 - 45 point 3rd liner. That’s basically what he got, but in the end the team didn’t take the next step....and I wouldn’t blame the Kadri/Barrie trade on why the team underperformed. There is a whole laundry list of things that went wrong.

If Barrie was your solution at RD, Leafs would have signed him to an extension. It was a bad trade... just face it. Barrie does not suck but he was an offensive puck mover type that the Leafs did not need. Barrie is not effective in his own end without the puck. It's a factor I think Dubas has overlooked and maybe he is learning about that. Now Kadri is gone and all you got to show for it is Kerfoot. Reply going to be... Brodie was signed for free. Yeah, that's like saying the Habs traded Domi for Anderson and Toffoli.

I don't hate Barrie as a D man... He was just not the guy the Leafs needed. Simple as that.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs did what they had to do due to cap space issues. Reality. Trying to sugar coat the moves by Dubas into genius moves is comical.

It's weird that you are endlessly arguing with a fanbase that is happy with the moves trying to convince them that they shouldn't be happy.

They watch the team every game and they are okay with these moves. You are certainly entitled to disagree, but it gets to be pretty strange when you're trying to tell them how they should feel.

Anybody that has watched a lot of the Maple Leafs will tell you that both Johnsson and Kapanen were underwhelming last year and that the Maple Leafs biggest need - by far - was a defensively responsible blue liner.

Of course Maple Leaf fans are thrilled to see Kapanen and Johnsson moved and that cap space re-allocated to the blueline.

Why you continue, in post after post to argue that they shouldn't be pleased with these is really just odd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's weird that you are endlessly arguing with a fanbase that is happy with the moves trying to convince them that they shouldn't be happy.

They watch the team every game and they are okay with these moves. You are certainly entitled to disagree, but it gets to be pretty strange when you're trying to tell them how they should feel.

Anybody that has watched a lot of the Maple Leafs will tell you that both Johnsson and Kapanen were underwhelming last year and that the Maple Leafs biggest need - by far - was a defensively responsible blue liner.

Of course Maple Leaf fans are thrilled to see Kapanen and Johnsson moved and that cap space re-allocated to the blueline.

Why you continue, in post after post to argue that they shouldn't be pleased with these is really just odd.

Focusing on a poster is against the rules and for good reason too. Not falling into this trap anymore. Leafs would have not made those trades if not for cap space. Reality. And I got like a few posts in this thread so you are way off on your narrative. Move on.. I'm not interested in the cranky replies

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Focusing on a poster is against the rules and for good reason too. Not falling into this trap anymore. Leafs would have not made those trades if not for cap space. Reality. And I got like a few posts in this thread so you are way off on your narrative. Move on.. I'm not interested in the cranky replies
All 31 teams make moves due to cap space. I think Leafs cap structure is way better than the Habs right now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All 31 teams make moves due to cap space. I think Leafs cap structure is way better than the Habs right now.

Both the Habs and Leafs are tight against the cap with pretty much full rosters. I don't see either team in a "way better" situation. Habs have a few contracts ending this year so we have flexibility and we also have several ELC's to insert moving forward. Habs can let go Tatar and add futures on top of Byron to move him and we are fine. Leafs have to pay Anderson and Rielly here soon. Leafs need Anderson and Rielly more than the Habs need Tatar and Byron.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Both the Habs and Leafs are tight against the cap with pretty much full rosters. I don't see either team in a "way better" situation. Habs have a few contracts ending this year so we have flexibility and we also have several ELC's to insert moving forward. Habs can let go Tatar and add futures on top of Byron to move him and we are fine. Leafs have to pay Anderson and Rielly here soon. Leafs need Anderson and Rielly more than the Habs need Tatar and Byron.

I don't judge cap situations by how much they currently have. Leafs cap and Habs are constructed in polar opposite ways. Leafs pay big $ to their stars they build around that put up big production, while Bergevin is fine paying big $ to supporting talent.
porting players. We'll see which one works better.
I do think with all that cap space Montreal did have they should have added more actual talent to their roster.
And who says Leafs have to pay Andersen? I see no reason to keep him unless he's great this year. You can get goaltending just as good for cheaper. Rielly, yes they will have to pay big to keep him. He's a #1 D no matter what HF claims.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't judge cap situations by how much they currently have. Leafs cap and Habs are constructed in polar opposite ways. Leafs pay big $ to their stars they build around taht put up big prodicion, while Bergevin is fine paying big $ to suu
porting players. We'll see which oen works better.
I do think with all that cap space Montreal did have they should have added more actual talent to their roster.
And who says Leafs have to pay Andersen? I see no reason to keep him unless he's great this year. You can get goaltending just as good for cheaper. Rielly, yes they will have to pay big to keep him. He's a #1 D no matter what HF claims.

I don't think one team is "way better" than the other in terms of the cap. And if you let Anderson walk (or trade him), You better find a goalie that can do what he does. I've seen the comments and frustration on him but remember, Habs beat the Leafs every single game this year with Anderson not in net. He's a big part of the Leafs core.... Replacing him won't be easy

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I don't think one team is "way better" than the other in terms of the cap. And if you let Anderson walk (or trade him), You better find a goalie that can do what he does. I've seen the comments and frustration on him but remember, Habs beat the Leafs every single game this year with Anderson not in net. He's a big part of the Leafs core.... Replacing him won't be easy
Andersen was not even average last year. To give him a big extension at age 32 is not a wise cap move at all. He's being beaten yearly by cheaper goalies.
And losing every night he isn't in net means nothing to me. Leafs were 31 in backup goaltending untill Jack Campbell arrived. I really don't cafre if they were worse with Hutchinson or anyone else in net. Not relevant to an Andersen extension. Leafs are much better in net aside from Andersen now. Andersen is not worthy of an extension right now.

I do think the Habs have several deals that won't age well and can't be moved. Leafs not so much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Andersen was not even average last year. To give him a big extension at age 32 is not a wise cap move at all. He's being beaten yearly by cheaper goalies.
And losing every night he isn't in net means nothing to me. Leafs were 31 in backup goaltending untill Jack Campbell arrived. I really don't cafre if they were worse with Hutchinson or anyone else in net. Not relevant to an Andersen extension. Leafs are much better in net aside from Andersen now.

I think you are overlooking the danger shots the Leafs allow against Anderson. Leafs are not built to be a defensive team first like others where there goalie has better stats. Context is important. Leafs are your team and I'm only trying to give you an opinion from the outside looking in. You don't have to agree but I think Anderson is a team need. 32 is not old for a goalie and you don't have a young guy in the pipeline to replace him... not yet anyways. If you let him go... you still need to pay someone else.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
I think you are overlooking the danger shots the Leafs allow against Anderson. Leafs are not built to be a defensive team first like others where there goalie has better stats. Context is important. Leafs are your team and I'm only trying to give you an opinion from the outside looking in. You don't have to agree but I think Anderson is a team need. 32 is not old for a goalie and you don't have a young guy in the pipeline to replace him... not yet anyways

Andersen had the same stats and same playoff struggles in Anaheim as he does Toronto. I'm not saying he's bad, but Leafs can find better. If he wants 6 million per or more for 4-5 years goodbye. Not worth it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Andersen had the same stats and same playoff struggles in Anaheim as he does Toronto. I'm not saying he's bad, but Leafs can find better. If he wants 6 million per or more for 4-5 years goodbye. Not worth it.

Good luck with the replacement if you let him go. The other guy will cost $6M AAV at least.... if you want a guy like Anderson or better so remember the cap narrative was our conversation? He's better than you give him credit for. The nit picking on him in the playoffs sounds the same as Kadri.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Good luck with the replacement if you let him go. The other guy will cost $6M AAV at least.... if you want a guy like Anderson or better so remember the cap narrative was our conversation? He's better than you give him credit for. The nit picking on him in the playoffs sounds the same as Kadri.

Did you happen to follow cap hits of goalies this offseason? A replacement can be better for cheaper than 5 million.
And I don't think Kadri is the same. Kadri acted dumb for 2 years in a row. Andersen isn't doing anything wrong, he just is an average goalie.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
in my personal opinion the leafs had the better off-season than the canadiens. bergevin basically overpaid in all moves he made. early extension on petry and gallagher included. getting a first for kapanen was one of the best trades this off-season. the blues did also well in the allen trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
in my personal opinion the leafs had the better off-season than the canadiens. bergevin basically overpaid in all moves he made. early extension on petry and gallagher included. getting a first for kapanen was one of the best trades this off-season. the blues did also well in the allen trade.

Disagree and not worth the debate in the Joey Anderson thread.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Disagree and not worth the debate in the Joey Anderson thread.
It goes to my opinion that he'\s given some big overpays to supporting talent. Dubas got Thornton, Vesey and Simmonds for 3.1 combined.
I don't like the Gallagher, Anderson, Edmondson deals.
Toffoli was great imo.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It goes to my opinion that he'\s given some big overpays to supporting talent. Dubas got Thornton, Vesey and Simmonds for 3.1 combined.
I don't like the Gallagher, Anderson, Edmondson deals.
Toffoli was great imo.

Thornton, Vesey, and Simmonds are nothing to brag about bud (1 year depth moves). Gallagher, Anderson, and Toffoli are not support talent. That's a huge insult! They are all very good top 6F. Edmundson is a depth move and $3.5M is no different than your Kerfoot contract.

Time to drop it. This won't end well and you know it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
but barrie and the whole cap related stuff belongs here.

Here is what's going to happen... there was a nice respectful conversation going on and now it's spinning cause others are jumping into the conversation. Look at the last post your fellow Leafs fan said... his narrative was Gallagher and Anderson were support talent and Thornton, Vesey, and Simmonds are better moves. If I debate this... others are going to say I am derailing the conversation. Leafs adding those one year deals are no different than the Habs adding Kovalchuk last year. Edmundson is on par to the Kerfoot contract.

Watch the direction this will head into now. Not worth it for me to continue due to the open flood gates of Leafs fans and if I defend, I'm defending against 20+ posters and then others will say I'm high jacking the thread then.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Your highest paid forward had 4 points last year. Your team signed him for 7 years despite a long history of these types breaking down well before that.

Your highest paid D is already 35 with durability issues and is signed for 6 more seasons

Montreal also has Carey Price at 10+ mill long term, which is deserved, but also a volatile position.

I'd rather have money tied up in young stars than to older players who may not make it to the end of their contracts.

And for your information, the Leafs are not at risk of losing Reilly and Andersen isnt really deserving of a raise or long term commitment.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your highest paid forward had 4 points last year. Your team signed him for 7 years despite a long history of these types breaking down well before that.

Your highest paid D is already 35 with durability issues and is signed for 6 more seasons

Montreal also has Carey Price at 10+ mill long term, which is deserved, but also a volatile position.

I'd rather have money tied up in young stars than to older players who may not make it to the end of their contracts.

And for your information, the Leafs are not at risk of losing Reilly and Andersen isnt really deserving of a raise or long term commitment.

Whatever you or others want to say... I'm not engaging in the debate any further due to being at risk of high jacking the thread by simply replying and defending an opinion. I reply to this with a disagreement opinion and 5 other Leafs fans join you.... it goes on for 3 more pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad