Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs re-sign Joey Anderson (3 years, $750K AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Two-way contract. There's no money in this deal.

He's a fringe player if ever there was one. AHL depth more than anything else.

If he plays 40 games for the Leafs I will celebrate his success.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Can someone tell me what this means for the player. If he gets sent down, will he get the 750k?
Trying to understand it from his perspective.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Can someone tell me what this means for the player. If he gets sent down, will he get the 750k?
according to Capfriendly, he gets:

....in his 3 years while in the minors. As you can see, year 3 is quite the bump up. So for him, he has secured himself over 1 million dollars no matter what happens. For someone who could be a career minor league, that 800,000 year is very good.

Reactions: qqaz and Macbanan

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

2-way means he gets a smaller wage per day in the AHL than he does in the NHL.

year 1: $175k-700k potential earnings (2way)
year 2: $250k-750k potential earnings (2way)
year 3: $800k guaranteed earnings (1way)

Reactions: qqaz and Macbanan

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
It's a two-way contract, which means he'll only get paid at a rate of $700k for the days he's in the NHL this year. When he's in the AHL, he'll get paid $175k.
From the player's perspective, he has a "guaranteed" salary. Even if he plays 100% in the minors, he's guaranteed $175k, which is pretty decent AHL play. For the team, they save on salary everyday he's not on the NHL roster.

(The number change for year 2 and 4, but the idea is there)

EDIT: Lmao, three answers at the same time, hope that helps!

Reactions: Macbanan

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This basically sets out a plan agreed to between Leafs and Anderson where he will spend 2 years in development with the expectation that he should be at on the roster full time in year 3. Although his waiver exemption expires starting the 2nd year.

Reactions: uncleben

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It does . It’s interesting for sure . I just compare my Habs to your leafs . Simmonds is so crucial to your success . If Simmonds and Anderson scrap and Simmonds wins it will be so huge for the leafs . If Anderson wins I think it will be huge for the Habs . If Simmonds carries the puck down the wing and gets blown up by romanov I honestly think yous are in trouble . I’m not trying to start a feud with leaf fans but after watching the playoffs a team needs some toughness . After Simmonds I really see a massive void there . I’m not sold on the game changing to all speed and finesse . Definitely not in the playoffs ,

I mean... scraps are entertaining and all, but I think you are overestimating the value of who wins the fight.... plus, anytime that Simmonds and Anderson do scrap, and spend time in the box is alright with me... Simmonds is in our bottom six, and somehow Anderson is expected to be one of your major contributors, so it's a pretty fair tradeoff.

A massive void after Simmonds... I mean, Bogo, Grandpa Joe.. even Spezza fought last year... Joey Anderson has dropped them...

and then there is this... just for entertainment values..

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
What a fantastic offseason Dubas is having. Hasn’t touched the top-six, improved the defence, retooled the bottom-six, and provided the team with more experience, provided more depth for the expansion draft, and somehow managed to have one of the best drafts placing a heavy emphasis on IQ and skill.

But yea, dUbAS iS oVeRrATeD.

He gave a non NHL player a AHL contract. I would say super overated going by your reaction and he had a draft. Not one of the best.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Hyman will sign a team friendly deal. He grew up a massive Leafs fan, he comes from a wealthy family that gets to watch him play every night, he has an esports team in the city, writes children's books. He's an interesting guy and I think he values being in Toronto too much to leave in an attempt to maximize salary.

Especially in a cap landscape where middle six wingers like him are getting the shaft.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What a fantastic offseason Dubas is having. Hasn’t touched the top-six, improved the defence, retooled the bottom-six, and provided the team with more experience, provided more depth for the expansion draft, and somehow managed to have one of the best drafts placing a heavy emphasis on IQ and skill.

But yea, dUbAS iS oVeRrATeD.
Saying someone had one of the "best drafts" a month after the draft is a littlr silly, no? For all we know not a single player he drafted sniffs the NHL...

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It may not speak much too Anderson, although he makes some decent guaranteed change with this deal. But, if he is a hit this contract is very valuable with that cap hit.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Wow three years. Good for the team. If he doesn't work out he goes bye bye with no hit to the cap. I'm sure at worst the guy is a good 4th line energy winger.

that's not the worst. the worst would be an Ahl player. at 750K I feel like any team would be happy if he is a consistent capable shutdown 4th liner.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Wow nice pickup for the leafs bottom 6 at that price
It's honestly a pretty safe bet from the Leafs end if Anderson is even just a 4th liner. Devils fans seem to really like him so I'm hoping hes a 3rd liner by year two of this deal.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I mean... scraps are entertaining and all, but I think you are overestimating the value of who wins the fight.... plus, anytime that Simmonds and Anderson do scrap, and spend time in the box is alright with me... Simmonds is in our bottom six, and somehow Anderson is expected to be one of your major contributors, so it's a pretty fair tradeoff.

A massive void after Simmonds... I mean, Bogo, Grandpa Joe.. even Spezza fought last year... Joey Anderson has dropped them...

and then there is this... just for entertainment values..

Classic cherry picking . We’re expecting the 27 goal hitting machine who was influential in putting Tampa bay down only 18 mponths ago . Fully healthy with blazing speed . We’re very excited due to the fact a lot of his 27 goals came with great hands as well , not the garbage goal type.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Classic cherry picking . We’re expecting the 27 goal hitting machine who was influential in putting Tampa bay down only 18 mponths ago . Fully healthy with blazing speed . We’re very excited due to the fact a lot of his 27 goals came with great hands as well , not the garbage goal type.

a) it is a joke.
b). I’m then one cherry picking, says the guy who uses one 27 goal season as an example, from that one career season, where his production was 50% higher than any of his other four seasons.... lol

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
a) it is a joke.
b). I’m then one cherry picking, says the guy who uses one 27 goal season as an example, from that one career season, where his production was 50% higher than any of his other four seasons.... lol
Seems he was quite sought after . Lots of Anderson to Toronto threads over the years . There’s a good reason for that . Very unique combination of speed skill and toughness. Will just have to wait to see how it turns out .

Reactions: uncleben

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Too bad he shares the same name as Tribbiani from the TV show Friends, but looking forward to see what he can do with the Marlies and when he gets called up

Good job KD

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Seems he was quite sought after . Lots of Anderson to Toronto threads over the years . There’s a good reason for that . Very unique combination of speed skill and toughness. Will just have to wait to see how it turns out .
I’d love to have Anderson on the Leafs, no question there at all. But at the cost of someone like Nylander and that potential Albatross of a contract. Get out of here. He needed to be bridged, to prove that wasn’t a one off, similar to David Clarkson.

Reactions: cookie and teddygmr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad