Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs re-sign Joey Anderson (3 years, $750K AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Mikheyev Tavares Marner

They were in the top 6 if there were injuries.

Mikheyev was not in the top 6 all year and he certainly didn't start there when the last season started. Johnson was in the top 6 just as much as Mikheyev. Both had injury seasons. Kapanen was not in the top 6 very often cause he is a right handed shot behind Marner and Nylander.

Both Johnson and Kapanen are fringe top 6 talent and good middle 6 talent. Bragging about moving them out for futures is bizarre. If there was no cap issues, Leafs would have preferred to keep both of them

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Mikheyev was not in the top 6 all year and he certainly didn't start there when the last season started. Johnson was in the top 6 just as much as Mikheyev. Both had injury seasons. Kapanen was not in the top 6 very often cause he is a right handed shot behind Marner and Nylander.

Both Johnson and Kapanen are fringe top 6 talent and good middle 6 talent. Bragging about moving them out for futures is bizarre. If there was no cap issues, Leafs would have preferred to keep both of them

No duh. That's why people are happy the leafs moved middle 6 talent that can be replaced internally for assets that will replace the new middle 6 talent in 3-4 years.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Yea Johnsson played 60% of his time with Matthews+Nylander, and next highest linemate combos was Matthews+Marner. The fact that he was only able to drum up 14 5v5 points in 43 games with that usage, should highlight how replaceable he really is offensively.

He got 2 minutes of PP time per game, and 80% of that time was with exclusively combinations of: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, and he only managed to produce 5 powerplay points in 43 games.

That's black hole territory. Happy to let that go for a prospect that:

a) Played over 50 NHL games when Johnsson had played 0 at the same age
b) Produced comparably PPG as Johnsson over their AHL careers
c) Has been used defensively and on the PK for his career so far. Johnsson doesn't produce well enough for the top 6, and can't do anything else

Leafs fans are happy, with reason, about that. Especially now that he's signed with term at league min, expiring as RFA. There's a lot of potential upside to that without giving up anything we can't just replace each year at league minimum.

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Can someone tell me what this means for the player. If he gets sent down, will he get the 750k?
Trying to understand it from his perspective.
He would get more than he would get in the NHL as he'll get the full amount rather than have part of it docked in case the projected numbers don't come in.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

ummm how much do you watch Toronto?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Actually, when Mikheyev really took off was when he moved on the line with Tavares.

Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander was the line.

All three of Johnsson, Kapanen and Mikheyev are solid players, but even with only 39 games played, he fits better on the top two lines than the other guys ever did, which is a huge credit to him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actually, when Mikheyev really took off was when he moved on the line with Tavares.

Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander was the line.

All three of Johnsson, Kapanen and Mikheyev are solid players, but even with only 39 games played, he fits better on the top two lines than the other guys ever did, which is a huge credit to him.

Doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't brag about moving Johnson and Kapanen due to cap space issues. Both Johnson and Kapanen will be missed in the bottom 6F.

Keeping Mikheyev was smart cause he is a bigger winger than Johnson on the LW side and production might be the same with the same roles. Kapanen was really blocked at RW with Marner and Nylander so it made sense to move him for a 1st due to cap issues. Not preferred but a move that the Leafs had to make

Cap hell is no fun

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't brag about moving Johnson and Kapanen due to cap space issues. Both Johnson and Kapanen will be missed in the bottom 6F

Johnsson and Kapanen are solid players and will be very good on their new teams.

BUT...

They had off years production wise and health issues(Johnsson) and the Leafs still were one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

I think Leafs fans were okay with that trade-off, because this is how it breaks down...

Out
Kapanen
Johnsson
Total: $6.6 million

In:
15th overall pick(Amriov)
Fillip Hallander
Joey Anderson
and with the free cap space were able to add Brodie at $5 million

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Johnsson and Kapanen are solid players and will be very good on their new teams.

BUT...

They had off years production wise and health issues(Johnsson) and the Leafs still were one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

I think Leafs fans were okay with that trade-off, because this is how it breaks down...

Out
Kapanen
Johnsson
Total: $6.6 million

In:
15th overall pick(Amriov)
Fillip Hallander
Joey Anderson
and with the free cap space were able to add Brodie at $5 million

Leafs did what they had to do due to cap space issues. Reality. Trying to sugar coat the moves by Dubas into genius moves is comical. Same narrative we heard with the Kadri trade last year. Kerfoot as the solution at 3C and Barrie as the RD solution. I remember saying years ago that Babcock was not as good of a coach as he was perceived to be and Leafs fans jumped me for it. Dubas is not a genius GM and I'd be careful with supporting him learning on the job. He messed up the value contract (Kadri trade). Sakic got what he wanted as a team need but the Leafs did not. Terrible. I'm sure Dubas is a better GM today than he was a year ago but the problem really is allowing him to learn on the job... at a time when the Leafs have a great core and need the depth to be improved!

Leafs have depth issues and cap space issues. Leafs need the cap to rise again before they make their team more complete. Reality.

Lets see how the latest round of moves turn out. Good luck and my intentions was not to derail the Joey Anderson signing. Hopefully he ends up a good depth piece for you guys. You need it!

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs did what they had to do due to cap space issues. Reality. Trying to sugar coat the moves by Dubas into genius moves is comical. Same narrative we heard with the Kadri trade last year. Kerfoot as the solution at 3C and Barrie as the RD solution. I remember saying years ago that Babcock was not as good of a coach as he was perceived to be and Leafs fans jumped me for it. Dubas is not a genius GM and I'd be careful with supporting him learning on the job. He messed up the value contract (Kadri trade). Sakic got what he wanted as a team need but the Leafs did not. Terrible. I'm sure Dubas is a better GM today than he was a year ago but the problem really is allowing him to learn on the job... at a time when the Leafs have a great core and need the depth to be improved!

Leafs have depth issues and cap space issues. Leafs need the cap to rise again before they make their team more complete. Reality.

Lets see how the latest round of moves turn out. Good luck and my intentions was not to derail the Joey Anderson signing. Hopefully he ends up a good depth piece for you guys. You need it!

A few things.

Dubas deserves full marks for the Kapanen traded.

He jumped ahead of the market and got a pretty good haul, he's not getting that same deal two weeks later.

And to be fair, the Leafs original trade was to get Brodie from the Flames and not Barrie. A year later, the Leafs got Brodie and still have Kerfoot.

And to this day, I will say that Babcock is the reason Barrie didn't play to his level. Barrie was on record saying he was asked to change up his game by Babcock. Why you'd ask that of a offensive Dman vet, I'll never understand.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A few things.

Dubas deserves full marks for the Kapanen traded.

He jumped ahead of the market and got a pretty good haul, he's not getting that same deal two weeks later.

And to be fair, the Leafs original trade was to get Brodie from the Flames and not Barrie. A year later, the Leafs got Brodie and still have Kerfoot.

And to this day, I will say that Babcock is the reason Barrie didn't play to his level. Barrie was on record saying he was asked to change up his game by Babcock. Why you'd ask that of a offensive Dman vet, I'll never understand.

Kapanen has value bud. He's a speedy young RW that can score and has decent size. I'm sure the Pens were not the only teams knocking on the door.

I'm not a fan of Kerfoot but at lease Brodie is better in his own end vs Barrie. Barrie was not the type you needed on the back end. Reality. Brodie is another Left handed shot that likes to play RD. Hopefully he works out for you guys. But I value Kadri more than Kerfoot, Brodie, and Barrie. I personally would have kept Kadri if the deal was not right. You could have both Kadri and Brodie today. Could have moved Johnson and Kapanen before Kadri. Kadri for $4.5M for 3 years was a value contract but once again.... Leafs fans saying he cost you the playoffs two years in a row in once again... Dubas defense. Pretty sure Kadri didn't cost the Avs the playoffs with his 18 pts in 15 games. Dubas traded the gritty value contract in Kadri which you needed. Think about it

Dubas learning on the job is a problem. He was analytical crazy but seems to have learned from that. I'm a Habs fan and not afraid to say Bergevin learning on the job when we had a young Price, Subban, Patch, Gallagher was a problem for us. Took Bergevin 8 years learning on the job. I think he is a much better GM today then he was 3/4 years ago but we waisted good years of Price, Subban, Patch, Gallagher though!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kapanen has value bud. He's a speedy young RW that can score and has decent size. I'm sure the Pens were not the only teams knocking on the door.

I'm not a fan of Kerfoot but at lease Brodie is better in his own end vs Barrie. Barrie was not the type you needed on the back end. Reality. Brodie is another Left handed shot that likes to play RD. Hopefully he works out for you guys. But I value Kadri more than Kerfoot, Brodie, and Barrie. I personally would have kept Kadri if the deal was not right. You could have both Kadri and Brodie today. Could have moved Johnson and Kapanen before Kadri. Kadri for $4.5M for 3 years was a value contract but once again.... Leafs fans saying he cost you the playoffs two years in a row in once again... Dubas defense. Pretty sure Kadri didn't cost the Avs the playoffs with his 18 pts in 15 games.

Dubas learning on the job is a problem. He was analytical crazy but seems to have learned from that.

I'm always amazed, and the Leafs should be flattered, the degree of attention that they get from other fans.

Kadri was being moved, as he'd had a long history of discipline issues with the Leafs, and they'd had enough. Anyone paying attention would have known this. Kadri was one of my favourite Leafs, but the writing was on the wall...

Nazem Kadri’s Leaf future hangs in balance after suspension: Arthur

Reactions: Beleafer34

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm always amazed, and the Leafs should be flattered, the degree of attention that they get from other fans.

Kadri was being moved, as he'd had a long history of discipline issues with the Leafs, and they'd had enough. Anyone paying attention would have known this. Kadri was one of my favourite Leafs, but the writing was on the wall...

Nazem Kadri’s Leaf future hangs in balance after suspension: Arthur

Habs get the same attention. Nothing new there. If you are not open to outside perception, I don't know what to tell you. I'm providing constructive criticism. I don't consider Dubas genius GM... I'd personally steer clear of supporting every signal move he makes. I would have held onto Kadri if the deal didn't return team needs. An offensive D like Barrie was not it. Kerfoot as a undersized 3C solution? meh

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

I’m not a Dubas supporter, at least not yet. But at the same time, there isn’t one GM who has a perfect track record in all of his trades. I really liked Kadri, but getting suspended in the playoffs two years in a row?! If he might not be there when he’s needed the most (as in the playoffs), then probably a change of scenery is needed. Salic won that trade, no doubt about it. But Dubas was trying to fix a glaring need (rhd) as well as getting back a 3rd line center.
What about Bergevin trading Sergachev for Drouin? I wonder if he’d like to have not made that trade? Hindsight always tends to be 20/20.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think we will be surprised with this guy.
Not trying to compare... but remember how non factor the Hyman for Mckegg trade was at the time?

Leafs have a system that invites these hound dog type wingers...they seem to mesh with our skill. From all accounts, this guy has the attributes to happily fill the role. AJ and KK, though the higher ceiling...never found and likely never were going to find a niche as a complimentary player to our skill.

We need less guys looking to make a name and more guys willing to get there nose dirty.

Reactions: CujosMask

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I really like Joey Anderson. I hate the fact that he's a Leaf but he's a good, hard working kid with some talent. Don't be shocked if he wins a spot on the 3rd line this year.

Reactions: ottomaddox

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Habs get the same attention. Nothing new there. If you are not open to outside perception, I don't know what to tell you. I'm providing constructive criticism. I don't consider Dubas genius GM... I'd personally steer clear of supporting every signal move he makes. I would have held onto Kadri if the deal didn't return team needs. An offensive D like Barrie was not it. Kerfoot as a undersized 3C solution? meh
I wouldn't have traded Sergachev for Drouin but here we are. Anyways - this thread is about Joey Anderson right?

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I really like Joey Anderson. I hate the fact that he's a Leaf but he's a good, hard working kid with some talent. Don't be shocked if he wins a spot on the 3rd line this year.
By the sounds of things he’s the type of player that might not make it out of camp, but will be a fixture by the end of the year.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
By the sounds of things he’s the type of player that might not make it out of camp, but will be a fixture by the end of the year.

my prediction is he will appear to make it out of camp by remaining on the roster, but will often be scratched in place of game day call ups like engvall. Could very well see him in the line up every night by the end, and I think that will have to do with how well he kills penalties and eats defensive minutes safely in the bottom 6.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020

That Kapanen deal was a fantastic deal by Dubas. We saw Nate Schmidt go for a 3rd rounder...
And really, they were replaced even before they were moved. Mikeyev's 39 games were actually more impressive than we've seen from Jonsson or Kapanen. Robertson was also drafted.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Babcock absolutely had a massive influence on how Barrie played in Toronto. Here are Barrie’s stats during and post-Babcock in 2019-20.

Under Babcock:
7 points in 23 games (25 point pace)
Minus 11

Under Keefe:
32 points in 47 games (56 point pace)
Plus 4

I’m not saying Barrie was the perfect defenseman, as i’m the first to admit that his defensive game is sub par. But under Keefe he played like a second paring, puck moving power play QB. This is exactly what Dubas was intending on acquiring, and it definitely didn’t work out initially when Babcock destroyed the player Barrie has always been.
The trade not working out shouldn’t be completely blamed on Dubas, and it’s not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. I think everyone knew Kadri would flourish in Colorado with more offensive opportunities. Dubas wanted to acquire a 50 - 60 point RHD and a 35 - 45 point 3rd liner. That’s basically what he got, but in the end the team didn’t take the next step....and I wouldn’t blame the Kadri/Barrie trade on why the team underperformed. There is a whole laundry list of things that went wrong.

Reactions: X66 and uncleben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad