Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs re-sign Joey Anderson (3 years, $750K AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
For the Leafs, the money doesn't matter. So if he's as good as they hope, they get him at cheap money for three years. If not, it's nothing against the cap and they don't care about the real money.

It's a good way to exploit a large budget.

Last edited:

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
What a fantastic offseason Dubas is having. Hasn’t touched the top-six, improved the defence, retooled the bottom-six, and provided the team with more experience, provided more depth for the expansion draft, and somehow managed to have one of the best drafts placing a heavy emphasis on IQ and skill.

But yea, dUbAS iS oVeRrATeD.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The reason the Leafs did this is because it's a disincentive to claim him if he goes through waivers.

A team would take a low-risk crack at him on waivers if all they had to worry about was this year's money. But not many teams would want to be exposed to 3 years of risk, including one-way money in the final year.

For the Leafs, the money doesn't matter. So if he's as good as they hope, they get him at cheap money for three years. If not, it's nothing against the cap and they don't care about the real money.

Yeah, good call. This deal makes a tonne of sense for the Leafs - locked in to a cheap AAV if Anderson becomes a solid NHLer for us, AND he’s still an RFA when it expires, AND it disincentivizeses waiver claims if we wanna send him to the Marlies, as real money matters more to most other teams. It’s basically the perfect contract for a wealthy team like the Leafs.

It also works for Anderson, at this point in his career so much is uncertain, I’m sure he likes the certainty of a 3 year deal, even if it is a 2-way deal for the first 2 years.

Overall, just a well thought out contract.

Reactions: Magic Man

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The reason the Leafs did this is because it's a disincentive to claim him if he goes through waivers.

A team would take a low-risk crack at him on waivers if all they had to worry about was this year's money. But not many teams would want to be exposed to 3 years of risk, including one-way money in the final year.

well he's waiver exempt this year, but good theory anyway

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
- League min. deal
- $175k guaranteed 1st year
- $250k guaranteed 2nd year
- $800k guaranteed 3rd year
- Expires as RFA (arbitration eligible)
- Becomes waiver eligible 2021-22 season (2nd year)

Deal is cheap enough he could be carried as 12th forward this season when rotating on a 20-man rest-day roster.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
- League min. deal
- $175k guaranteed 1st year
- $250k guaranteed 2nd year
- $800k guaranteed 3rd year
- Expires as RFA (arbitration eligible)
- Becomes waiver eligible 2021-22 season (2nd year)

Deal is cheap enough he could be carried as 12th forward this season when rotating on a 20-man rest-day roster.
Pretty hard to argue with that

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well the only thing about it is that 3 years is a bit much for a player like him, but I'd say that it's such good value it really doesn't matter. And in the scenario where he ends up progressing and becomes a significant contributor, they probably get a steal of a year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Dubas specifically targeted him as a player, when they had options for draft picks.

That tells me he's really into the player, and probably sees him making the roster sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Magic Man

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
What a fantastic offseason Dubas is having. Hasn’t touched the top-six, improved the defence, retooled the bottom-six, and provided the team with more experience, provided more depth for the expansion draft, and somehow managed to have one of the best drafts placing a heavy emphasis on IQ and skill.

But yea, dUbAS iS oVeRrATeD.

Wasn't Kapanen or Johnsson in the top six? You can correct me if I am wrong. I am just curious who the top six was/is?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Oof, he should fire his manager. Hes probably going to play in the NHL for most of that time frame. Id have thought he would have taken a 2 year and bet on himself a bit more.

Reactions: Morrison

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Awesome to get that sort of term. If he's an NHL'er at all, this deal is a slam dunk to get a player for 750k locked in for three years. If he's not an NHL'er then this costs us nothing.

Real solid deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad