Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
When a former Captain bails on a team. Unfollowing him on Twitter is the least a player should do.

Of course you focus on the fact that Tavares bailed, and not on the fact that the Islanders did nothing to put pieces around him and be in perennial playoff/cup contention. Tavares doesn't owe the Islanders anything, especially their lack of effort in being competitive.

Could it be because JT is a lying coward that didn't have the guts to be honest about where he wanted to play?

I've already responded to your illogical stance before, but re-read the post again anyway:

"Just because Tavares's dream was to be a Leaf, doesn't mean that he can't at least assess his options to figure out the best possible place for him to play in. As for John Tavares not telling the Islanders, he kept them in the sweepstakes until he notified them that he was no longer signing with them (because the option was always there for him to come back). Not to mention, he's not obligated to act in the Islanders best interests. He's allowed to make moves in his own best interests (especially when he had a NTC in his contract).

Moreover, I don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that rejecting a higher offer means that someone has made up their mind. Hockey players aren't robots that go after the biggest possible number just because more money for them. They are human beings and have other things to consider like familial considerations (one of which being that his fiancée works in Toronto vs. the potential of playing in San Jose), quality of life within a city, etc., on top of the hockey considerations they already have to think about. Also, are you really going to ignore how much of a mess the Islanders are?"

How you came to the conclusion that JT is being a dishonest "coward" is quite frankly asinine and baffling to say the least.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
This is only said because he chose Toronto. Any of the other 4 teams and he would be praised for chasing the dream of a cup.

He gave the isles 9 years and they gave him nothing. We all knew he was a UFA and would be moving. Stop acting like a baby.

But chasing a cup was not JT's motive for choosing Toronto and that's why Isles fans believe he lied to them. It had nothing to do with the team Isles management put infront of him. He always wanted to play for Toronto, He even said that in his press conference. "It was my child hood dream to play for the Leafs". He just hid behind the "I don't trust this management" excuse. He didn't choose Toronto because they have a better team than the Isles. Toronto is geographically better. If Toronto's team was as bad as the Isles he still would have chose Toronto.

Reactions: Dipietro39

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
But chasing a cup was not JT's motive for choosing Toronto and that's why Isles fans believe he lied to them. It had nothing to do with the team Isles management put infront of him. He always wanted to play for Toronto, He even said that in his press conference. "It was my child hood dream to play for the Leafs". He just hid behind the "I don't trust this management" excuse. He didn't choose Toronto because they have a better team than the Isles. Toronto is geographically better.

He said in the press conf that the team is built to compete for the duration of his contract and that is what he wanted. Of course he also wanted to play for his childhood team but if the isle were competitive and the leafs were trash, he would have re-signed. No way he comes to a bad leafs team.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
In the nine years JT was an Islander they gave him close to no chance to win. He owes the Islanders nothing.

He might not owe the Islanders anything but he sure as shit owes the fans something that pay his salary worth millions and buy his jerseys. I'm not mad he didn't say I'm leaving trade me and stock up. I'm not an Isles fan, but I'm a bit mad for them at how you heard time after time after time I'm only going to be an Islander! I want to be here! He then dragged this thing out big time and posts a freaking picture of him as a child in his room covered in Leafs gear, makes me think he was planning it the whole time.

Weak.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
But chasing a cup was not JT's motive for choosing Toronto and that's why Isles fans believe he lied to them. It had nothing to do with the team Isles management put infront of him. He always wanted to play for Toronto, He even said that in his press conference. "It was my child hood dream to play for the Leafs". He just hid behind the "I don't trust this management" excuse. He didn't choose Toronto because they have a better team than the Isles. Toronto is geographically better. If Toronto's team was as bad as the Isles he still would have chose Toronto.

wtf. no dude. He would not have come here if Toronto was still garbage.

If you read up, Dubas said that the pitch focused on Toronto in terms of hockey only. Who he would play with, what they planned for the future, how they were gonna keep the core together etc. etc. Dubas chose not to focus on Toronto the hockey mecca, chance to become a legend etc etc

That emotional stuff just started coming up for Tavares by itself as he considered Toronto. His main focus was to win.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
He said in the press conf that the team is built to compete for the duration of his contract and that is what he wanted. Of course he also wanted to play for his childhood team but if the isle were competitive and the leafs were trash, he would have re-signed. No way he comes to a bad leafs team.

What else was he going to say? "If his decision was about being on a team that will always be a contender he would have chosen the team that has been to the playoffs 13 of the last 14 years, and the team that offered him $13 million a year. Or he would have chosen the Boston or Tampa who are both much better teams than Toronto.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Could it be because JT is a lying coward that didn't have the guts to be honest about where he wanted to play?

He left a team that promoted their backup goalie to general manager, a position he held for nearly 12 years, with only 4 playoff appearances to show for it. Said backup goalie was only relieved of his duties a month before Tavares became a free agent in favour of a 76 year old GM, who may, or may not die on the job. They basically gave Tavares the old "act busy, the boss is here!" schtick as he had one foot out the door. Had they even pretended to care about hockey ops at any point previous to that, perhaps he wouldn't have left. The fact he didn't badmouth that shitshow on the way out should be seen as an act of class, if not pity.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
How do you know that if the Islanders were competitive and the Leafs sucked that he would have resigned with the Islanders. It looks bad that he strung the Islanders along with no intention of resigning with them otherwise he would have resigned last July. All the big free agent players are signing bonus driven contracts like Taveras where they receive large signing bonuses and low base salaries for each year which probably means that the NHL and NHLPA are headed for another shutdown in a couple of years. There is probably 10 big market teams that can hand out these types of contracts to free agents so the other 21 teams will be fighting against these types of deals in the next CBA.
It's going to be interesting, to see when the Islanders and Leafs play how the Islanders fanbase and players react to him. Good for the Leafs to sign him, the Leafs look good on paper but you still have to play the game. They haven't made it out of the first round in 15 years so everyone will see if they can considering if they don't end up in 1st place in their division it will mean a first round matchup against Boston or Tampa Bay (two teams who are just as good if not better than the Leafs).

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Also you have to appreciate the fact that John Tavares manned up. He's willing to deal with the pressure of playing in Toronto, the media, the pressure of ending the drought, etc. etc.

Other players like Stamkos and Doughty teased it (which is even more pathetic now that you think about it) but never had the balls to come back and face the pressure. Probably knew they wouldn't be able to handle it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
What else was he going to say? "If his decision was about being on a team that will always be a contender he would have chosen the team that has been to the playoffs 13 of the last 14 years, and the team that offered him $13 million a year. Or he would have chosen the Boston or Tampa who are both much better teams than Toronto.
Shocking I know but it could actually be both.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
It's a sad time for them, but they do have some pretty nice young players coming up. Lou will bring respectability and credibility to their organization. Letting go of the past is often easier than letting go of the potential futures that you've grown attached to.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
- good young core that will be competitive for the entirety of his contract
- team is doing well now
- hometown ties

No other team could give him this. He emphasized how important all of this is especially the first one. Everyother teams core is far too old by the 5,6,7th years of the contract.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
In the nine years JT was an Islander they gave him close to no chance to win. He owes the Islanders nothing.

Yeah, him and his brethren are sinking so low with this stuff. Can’t wait to see Tavares and the Leafs reach for the stars while these posters slowly drill themselves into the earths core.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

From what i’m reading Islanders fans are mad about the way he left, and feel he lied about his intentions - thus preventing himself from being traded and getting the Islanders back some assets.

The problem with that is it’s all based on assumption.

Tavares said himself Snow had informed him he wasn’t going to be traded and that he didn’t ask for one because at the time his intentions were to work things out with the Islanders. (Preventing them from getting those assets).

These burnings and random yells and wall punches are the hoof prints of a confused people.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
He might not owe the Islanders anything but he sure as **** owes the fans something that pay his salary worth millions and buy his jerseys..

Weak.

The same "fans" who didnt show up half the time?

Why are the fans allowed to show they "don't trust the management" and stay away from the arena in protest, but a player can't leave in protest over the same thing?

Reactions: mcinnesja

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Also you have to appreciate the fact that John Tavares manned up. He's willing to deal with the pressure of playing in Toronto, the media, the pressure of ending the drought, etc. etc.

Other players like Stamkos and Doughty teased it (which is even more pathetic now that you think about it) but never had the balls to come back and face the pressure. Probably knew they wouldn't be able to handle it.
How do you know that they wouldn't handle the pressure of playing in Toronto or maybe it comes down to that they wanted to win where they currently played. In Stamkos' situation, the Lightning was way ahead of the Leafs when it comes to being a contender when he was a free agent and he felt he had a better chance of winning there. Same can be said for Doughty, he probably believes he can win again in LA. Or maybe the both of them love the warmer weather instead of the shitty winters in Toronto.

I love how some Leafs fans are gloating about Tavares coming home but as another poster wrote, there are other teams he could have chosen who would be contenders for the 7 years and offered more money. For his sake, he better hope what Dubas sold him comes true. The other big factor is how much influence his future wife had in this decision, he already figured out who will be wearing the pants in their marriage. :)

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Just to be clear I'm not saying if this is going to happen, and I don't want it to happen, but if the leafs are a big dud, he will be eaten alive...Im sure he knows to expect that...better win!!

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

He literally said Toronto gave him the best window and he's right. Their core is super young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad