Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Robertson-kerfoot-Simmonds
Spezza-Thornton-engvall/vesey/Anderson

the bottom 6 is less skilled and fast than last year, but has more grit and leadership. Will be interesting to see how the contrasting styles affect us in the win/loss columns

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

I don't think that's the plan. Thornton/Spezza together would be the Grey Zamboni line.

Robertson-Thornton-Kerfoot (if he's still a Leaf)
Vesey-Spezza-Simmonds

Reactions: TopCheese

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’ve liked some of the Leaf moves this summer but this one is an odd one.

They already have Spezza.

Neither guy is a winger.

Reminds me of when they had the best centres in the league with Sundin, Lindros and Allison.

Just five years too late.

Reactions: 666 and HabsQC

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Shouldn't a vet type captain in Taveres been able to address issues in the room?
40M in 4 forwards, that's the real issue here. Thornton will have no answers for that.

Although I’m okay for the most part on what Dubas has done so far this off season, I tend to agree with what you’re saying.

With the possible exceptions of Rielly (a veteran who definitely has some voice in the locker room) and Tavares (leads by example), management anointed Matthews and Marner by making them alternates.

Now I have no idea what goes on in the locker room, but it seems to me this “core” has been placed on a pedestal. The leaders are supposed to set the example. I’m hoping that Thornton, Bogosian (especially since he just helped Tampa win the Cup), and Simmonds (maybe Brodie too) will all have a strong voice and influence on the players.

Reactions: BLONG7

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Because when someone is making an actual choice with their real life, and have actual experience in pro hockey, they'll look at reality and know that the Leafs are a young highly skilled team that have a good chance at a cup every year.

Contrast that with an HFBoards poster who is just looking for giggles, they'll ignore mostly everything and just point out that Leafs haven't won a round yet for lulz.
The views of the HF poster are generally correct in that, yeah good team but until they start winning rounds they’re nowhere near a “good chance” at a cup.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
I would have hoped more of this community was smart enough to realize that the Leafs didn't necessarily sign him for his on ice abilities as they now are - which is not to say he won't pot a few.... But more for his presence in the room. Both parties have probably come to the understanding of his role.

It seems like the vast majority think you run an actual NHL team like you would in a fantasy league or a video game. The immaturity and lack of that basic understanding is..... Unfortunate.

The overwhelming consensus was that the Leafs core was still too young and immature, so they've addressed that and it's a bad thing?

This community isn't dumb it is just immature. Likely a reflection of the majority being on the younger side.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'm genuinely surprised that Joe Thornton gets 33 pages at this part of his career.
This was a 700k signing people.

Reactions: Lilou

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

the bottom 6 is less skilled and fast than last year, but has more grit and leadership. Will be interesting to see how the contrasting styles affect us in the win/loss columns

What I like about that group is the flexibility. You could run different lineups within a single game depending on what you need. It’s got a bit of speed, a bit of scoring, and a bit of physicality that can be spread around the bottom six or loaded onto one line.

Reactions: TopCheese

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

That's grittier than last year's bottom 6? Was last year's bottom 6 literally made of tissue paper?

Reactions: nbwingsfan

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
So does this mean Engvall is redundant?

I'll take him in Chicago. There's already a pair of Swedes in the bottom six (Janmark/Wallmark). Make a trifecta of mediocre Swedes and make a line of them.

Reactions: Albus Dumbledore

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Odd signing, 700K is no risk, but also indicative of where Thornton is in his career now at 41. He is going to have to get used to not being as much if he is in a 4th line role. Not as easy for former players that are used to playing higher in the line up as most think.

As for the leadership angle, I think this is being played up. Considering this was what Tavares was brought in for, did he fail? In addition, didn't Thornton have his captaincy taken away from him by the Sharks once? Regardless it is a secondary signing all things considered. Not in the caliber that is going to change the NHL landscape.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
That's grittier than last year's bottom 6? Was last year's bottom 6 literally made of tissue paper?
Well yes, they were soft. But thonton and simmonds make any and every lineup tougher. Thornton doesnt play a nasty game but he is tough as nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad