Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's trading young legs for older and slower ones with a likely compacted schedule coming. I'm not shitting on the value but the team composition doesnt make sense
He had to trade Kapanen and Johnsson. The Leafs got screwed, like many other teams, by the flat (covid) cap. Dubas wasn't going to get a 26 year old UFA with wheels for the league minimum. There wasnt much choice.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Interesting.. Does he have any gas left in the tank? Doesn't really seem like a Toronto type of player with his lack of footspeed these days.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Joe Thornton is one of the top players of his generation living out his hockey golden years in Toronto. Toronto has gotten older and slower this off season its incredible watching Dubas obliterate his hockey values before our eyes
He did? How?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
1431629947-marty-delorean.jpg

Spezza & Thornton?
Are we dialing back to 2008?

Ummm...help my memory. Didn't the Leafs LOSE a game to a random building employee?

Just trying to remember....

Joe Thornton is one of the top players of his generation living out his hockey golden years in Toronto. Toronto has gotten older and slower this off season its incredible watching Dubas obliterate his hockey values before our eyes

In the 1960s?

i’ve never seen so much cringe condensed into one place

Reactions: Smif and Mitchy

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Ummm...help my memory. Didn't the Leafs LOSE a game to a random building employee?

Just trying to remember....
No, we didn't. We did however, lose to a specific building employee an EBUG goalie coach and part time Zamboni driver for the Marlies. It was one of the stories of the season. His name is David Ayres.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It still amazes me the spare parts that were traded to get Thornton when he was in his prime. It might still be one of the worst trades in NHL history.

Worked out well in the long run as Boston was able to sign Chara and Savard the following summer, but yeah, that return should have been better.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Eveyone mentioning spezza being slow is funny. Hes not as fast as he used to be but can still skate pretty average, in transition with his skill and strength hes still a better overall skater then a lot of players are. Like the ones Toronto let go off. Kappy and johnson have speed to burn for days but it isnt worth as much if they dont have the iq to use it properly.

The only slow players I see are jumbo joe. Simmonds will be healthier now then he has been in two years iirc. Should be an average skater too.

Also robertson, engvall and kerfoot being permanently in the bottom 6 makes our bottom 6 actually about as fast as last year funny enough.... just with better albeit some older players.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Eveyone mentioning spezza being slow is funny. Hes not as fast as he used to be but can still skate pretty average, in transition with his skill and strength hes still a better overall skater then a lot of players are. Like the ones Toronto let go off. Kappy and johnson have speed to burn for days but it isnt worth as much if they dont have the iq to use it properly.

The only slow players I see are jumbo joe. Simmonds will be healthier now then he has been in two years iirc. Should be an average skater too.

Also robertson, engvall and kerfoot being permanently in the bottom 6 makes our bottom 6 actually about as fast as last year funny enough.... just with better albeit some older players.

Yeah, Spezza is nearing the end of his career but he's a pretty good skater. It never felt like he couldn't keep up.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I just... I just don’t understand why?

Why would Jumbo go to TML given their record? Is it for a cup? There’s plenty of teams I’d go to before TML. Is there a connection to Ontario, winding down for retirement?

Just seems a really odd signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad