Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I just... I just don’t understand why?

Why would Jumbo go to TML given their record? Is it for a cup? There’s plenty of teams I’d go to before TML. Is there a connection to Ontario, winding down for retirement?

Just seems a really odd signing.

what's happening with Joe is now how the Sedins wanted to retire. Which was on a high note and on their terms.

I think Joe just wants to keep playing he probably doesn't care how he retires, the fact that he got a 700k shows no one in the leauge even wants him. But of course it's the "well it's only 700 k anyways we can always bury him in the minors" type of B.s.

Reactions: Beville

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Why would Jumbo go to TML given their record? Is it for a cup?

Because when someone is making an actual choice with their real life, and have actual experience in pro hockey, they'll look at reality and know that the Leafs are a young highly skilled team that have a good chance at a cup every year.

Contrast that with an HFBoards poster who is just looking for giggles, they'll ignore mostly everything and just point out that Leafs haven't won a round yet for lulz.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In other words...Dubas still doesn't understand roster diversification, and doesn't realize that you need guys toward the bottom end of your roster who fill roles and do their best work without the puck. It's the Spezza experiment redux.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
spezza worked out quite well

He was great once the coaching switch was made. Individually. But the team still didn't work...as a team.

A 3rd/4th line Center who puts up points is great...but it doesn't really mean squat overall if it's just a collection of guys trying to put up points. Someone still has to play the ugly minutes.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
In other words...Dubas still doesn't understand roster diversification, and doesn't realize that you need guys toward the bottom end of your roster who fill roles and do their best work without the puck. It's the Spezza experiment redux.

Id be thrilled if it works out same as the Spezza experiment as you put it. He was one of the top 4th line cs in the league last year...

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He was great once the coaching switch was made. Individually. But the team still didn't work...as a team.

A 3rd/4th line Center who puts up points is great...but it doesn't really mean squat overall if it's just a collection of guys trying to put up points. Someone still has to play the ugly minutes.

it's not like he was sheltered

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

This is part of why we dumped Johnsson, he ate up too many easy offensive minutes and only scored 40pts with them.

Reactions: biturbo19

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Spezza and Thornton trying to communicate on the ice:

tenor.gif

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I would have hoped more of this community was smart enough to realize that the Leafs didn't necessarily sign him for his on ice abilities as they now are - which is not to say he won't pot a few.... But more for his presence in the room. Both parties have probably come to the understanding of his role.

It seems like the vast majority think you run an actual NHL team like you would in a fantasy league or a video game. The immaturity and lack of that basic understanding is..... Unfortunate.

The overwhelming consensus was that the Leafs core was still too young and immature, so they've addressed that and it's a bad thing?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I would have hoped more of this community was smart enough to realize that the Leafs didn't necessarily sign him for his on ice abilities as they now are - which is not to say he won't pot a few.... But more for his presence in the room. Both parties have probably come to the understanding of his role.

It seems like the vast majority think you run an actual NHL team like you would in a fantasy league or a video game. The immaturity and lack of that basic understanding is..... Unfortunate.

The overwhelming consensus was that the Leafs core was still too young and immature, so they've addressed that and it's a bad thing?

Lighten up, most of the posts here are sarcastic and are meant for laughs. Thornton is a great vet.

By the way, do you know if they make "Depends" for hockey players?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Shouldn't a vet type captain in Taveres been able to address issues in the room?
40M in 4 forwards, that's the real issue here. Thornton will have no answers for that.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

It's okay. If he signed for any other team the comments in the thread would be the exact opposite of what's going on in here. It would be praised and people would be wishing Thornton to have success.

It's just HF acting like a bunch of children. Nothing really new.

Hilarious that this thread is already about to have a part 2 though. People hateeee hearing about the leafs, but they love talking about them for some reason.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Lighten up, most of the posts here are sarcastic and are meant for laughs. Thornton is a great vet.

By the way, do you know if they make "Depends" for hockey players?

Oh I don't mean immature as in jokes - those are actually hilarious. I meant moreso as immature in the basic understanding of how a team is constructed. The memes and jokes are fantastic, and with merit absolutely!

Reactions: Kylie Sven Opossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad