Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
In other words...Dubas still doesn't understand roster diversification, and doesn't realize that you need guys toward the bottom end of your roster who fill roles and do their best work without the puck. It's the Spezza experiment redux.
The Spezza experiment has worked out better than anyone could have hoped for. There’s no risk to signing these grizzled old vets, especially when your core is still very young.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Here is the non-biased reality of the situation

Joe Thornton is a hall of fame former franchise player who is leaving his home of 15 years, surprising everyone

vs

22 year old kid accepts second contract of his career exactly as everyone expected because the team holds his rights

Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out

How many 2nd overall picks do you know that would accept their qualifying offer?

As for Thornton leaving it shouldn't have been a surprise after it came out that he wanted a trade at the deadline.

That should have told everybody he was open to leaving because he wanted a trade which means he wanted to leave.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
It looks good on paper, but let’s be real, 2/3 of the bottom six move like turtles.

The team isn’t built for 2021, it’s built to sell newspapers and collect clicks and likes.

People are thinking about this too simply. The Leafs have an army of video scouts and analytics staff to break down how Thornton would fit in. Here is an article from a former Leafs staffer explaining why Thornton is such a great fit, and after reading it, its really easy to understand why the Leafs went so hard after Thornton:

Reactions: Mitchy

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Here is the non-biased reality of the situation

Joe Thornton is a hall of fame former franchise player who is leaving his home of 15 years, surprising everyone

vs

22 year old kid accepts second contract of his career exactly as everyone expected because the team holds his rights

Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out

Yep, Thorton is also the reason our 3rd string goalie had 6 pages, 900k Vesey had 12, Simmonds had 18 and Bogosian had 12.

On nearly any other team, with the exception of MTL who would be close, those players get anywhere from 10 posts to 3 pages.

Reactions: dubey

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Yep, Thorton is also the reason our 3rd string goalie had 6 pages, 900k Vesey had 12, Simmonds had 18 and Bogosian had 12.

On nearly any other team, with the exception of MTL who would be close, those players get anywhere from 10 posts to 3 pages.
There is a certain irony to making posts in Leafs threads exclusively bragging about how much bigger your Leafs threads are....

Reactions: The Brady Bunch

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
There is a certain irony to making posts in Leafs threads exclusively bragging about how much bigger your Leafs threads are....

There's no bragging, it's hilarious that people complain about the Leafs, yet they flock to each and every thread about them.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Remember Joe Thornton?

This is him now. Feel old yet?

24900024_1588125461224866_9211877285755373665_n.jpg

Reactions: mazmin

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Buddy if I multi quoted all the stupid comments ITT by non-leaf fans, id have to .zip it, upload it onto Dropbox, and email it to you.

HF is shook, and I honestly have no idea why.

I just don't understand the concern/hate on a 700k 4th line player. Not one leaf fan is expecting much. If he pits 20 points, brings great leadership and a little physicality then it was a great signing. If he needs a walker just to compete warmup, send him to the AHL. No harm, no foul.

Look at the list of 20 point players, at 700k they are a no brainer. 2019‑2020 NHL Scoring Leaders

Last edited:

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Buddy if I multi quoted all the stupid comments ITT by non-leaf fans, id have to .zip it, upload it onto Dropbox, and email it to you.

HF is shook, and I honestly have no idea why.

Because certain members of this board’s population are determined to negatively spin whatever move the Leafs make. If this signing was just appreciated or what it was - the Leafs signing a veteran presence at a minimum contract to add experience and another option in the bottom six - then it should have just been a few pages of discussion. Some people cannot help themselves though.

I for one am just happy. After seeing what Spezza brought last season, I’m curious to see what Thornton adds to the lineup.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
Yeah because it has posts like this because Leafs fans need to feel better about themselves, apparently.
You have got to be kidding me right????

You think it’s all Leafs fans bragging about signing Jumbo Joe? Dude, the 1st 10 pages is fans from other teams saying dumbshit like it’s a terrible signing lmao.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I just don't understand the concern/hate on a 700k 4th line player. Not one leaf fan is expecting much. If he pits 20 points, brings great leadership and a little physicality then it was a great signing. If he needs a walker just to compete warmup, send him to the AHL. No harm, no foul.
I just want him to tell the young guns they’re being lazy pieces of sh_t when they deserve it and I’m a happy man. A vet with some sack

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not the first 41 year old the leafs brought in to contend for a cup.

Francis in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad