Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Jhonas Enroth (1 year, 750k)

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Bibeau convinced me that he can be a very solid goaltender. He absolutely dominated my Mooseheads here and vastly outplayed Fucale (to an annoying level). His dominating play was also present in the Memorial Cup. He's very large and calm, but still needs more time. I see him being a good NHL backup, with a chance, if development continues, at knocking on the door as starter.

Seen tons of him, live in Charlottetown so I watched him
During his time with the pei rocket/ now Charlottetown Islanders. I still have high hopes for the guy, see him as a late bloomer. Probably figures it all out after a few solid years in the AHL. Hoping he can become a solid back up option for the future.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Bernier has been on a massive decline since his 1st season in Toronto you can post his numbers and try to make he and Andersen look lose all you want

Fact is anyone that has seen both guys play The past 2 seasons knows they aren't close.

They say numbers don't lie, Bernier's do they paint a picture of a solid goaltender when the reality is he is anything but that.

SV% doesn't tell the tale of a goal going in on the first or second shot of the game. Bernier lost his nerve last season. He also clearly gets rattled by contract with the other teams' forwards. How can you rely on that as a starting goalie?

I'm not arguing Bernier is a good goaltender. I never have.

One has to wonder how many times people have to watch goalies performing under completely different circumstances then falling flat once those circumstances change before they finally get that all things are not equal?

With luck, they'll hit gold. Would I call it a huge upgrade based on available data? No, no I wouldn't. I'd call it a change, something often assumed to be good.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Enroth has obviously decided to take a lower offer in exchange for more exposure this season so he can cash in on his next contract. 750K is a steal for a backup with his pedigree.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I hate the Leafs and even i'm amazed at their progression; finding guys like Enroth for basically nothing (750k / 1yr) is a bonafide steal as far as I'm concerned.

Still hate the Leafs but atleast they're not a laughing stock anymore.

Bravo Lou - well played.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Enroth has obviously decided to take a lower offer in exchange for more exposure this season so he can cash in on his next contract. 750K is a steal for a backup with his pedigree.

I agree. Andersen has never played more than 54 games....the thought of Sparks playing 30 games??? So this is probably the team that will give Enroth the most games to prove himself....Hell, if he plays well, we may sign him for more term. No risk great signing.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I hate the Leafs and even i'm amazed at their progression; finding guys like Enroth for basically nothing (750k / 1yr) is a bonafide steal as far as I'm concerned.

Bravo Lou - well played.

Ummmm....thanks? I guess? :laugh:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
consider it a changing of the times. Respect for the Leafs?
Hoping it's short lived but kudos for now....

Babcock loves to ride a single goalie - any idea how many games Enroth will face in the year?

Hopefully 15-20 because if he does that, that means that this BS narrative that is not a proven #1 goalie that would not exist had he been dealt literally ANYWHERE else in the NHL can die

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

Agreed. This deal works very well for both sides. Enroth will certainly play more games for the Leafs than he did the Kings.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Solid signing by Toronto. Andersen-Enroth should be a respectable duo in net.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

He barely saw action with the Kings ( put up great stats in the few games he got though ) and before that was pretty meh with Dallas and the Sabres. He came this cheap because there's not really a market for backup goalies and he's nothing more than a decent backup. Thats very unlikely the change in one year. Doubtful he's going to have that great a year that teams would line up to sign him long-term for bigger money.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
consider it a changing of the times. Respect for the Leafs?
Hoping it's short lived but kudos for now....

Babcock loves to ride a single goalie - any idea how many games Enroth will face in the year?

Lou and Mike have discussed a soft (i.e. not carved in stone) 20-24.
Lou mentioned that we have 20 back-to-backs this year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That also means that Jonathan Quick is a product of a defensively great team?

No doubt it benefits Quick having a team like the Kings in front of him, but he's proven in the Playoffs he can carry a team.

Let me know when Enroth has won two cups and has a Conn Smythe to his name. Not to mention the fact if you don't think Enroth is a product of the Kings system, what happened with Bernier and Scrivens?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Bravo Lou - well played.

Still think we're a few years away from changing that opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad