Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Jhonas Enroth (1 year, 750k)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Enroth is who I wanted and Enroth is who we got. And we got him for less than I figured. 1 year sub 925k is pretty much 0 risk for Toronto. Love it as much as you can love signing a backup goalie

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He was 11th in save percentage, if you exclude all goalies who played less than 5 games.

Pretty decent for a replacement level goalie, I'd say.

Hmm, I wonder how other LA backups looked when they played there:

2012-13: Bernier - .922%
2013-14: Jones - .934% / Scrivens - .931%
2014-15: Jones - .906%
2015-16: Enroth - .922%

He's nothing more than a decent backup that was sheltered behind a strong system. If he got a 1A/1B position (Like when he was in Buffalo in 2014-15), he'd barely be sporting a .900 SV%. No different than Fasth, Scrivens, Bernier, etc.

Now if you want to talk about best signing/contract with relation to skill, you'd be looking at Brian Campbell and his 1.5 mil caphit.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Hmm, I wonder how other LA backups looked when they played there:

2012-13: Bernier - .922%
2013-14: Jones - .934% / Scrivens - .931%
2014-15: Jones - .906%
2015-16: Enroth - .922%

He's nothing more than a decent backup that was sheltered behind a strong system. If he got a 1A/1B position (Like when he was in Buffalo in 2014-15), he'd barely be sporting a .900 SV%. No different than Fasth, Scrivens, Bernier, etc.

Now if you want to talk about best signing/contract with relation to skill, you'd be looking at Brian Campbell and his 1.5 mil caphit.

That also means that Jonathan Quick is a product of a defensively great team?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like this I said at the start of the off season we couldn't afford to have Reimer and Bernier back that we needed an upgrde.

To go from Reimer and Bernier to Andersen and Enroth is a HUGE upgrade at both the starter and backup position I haven't been this confident in our goaltending since Belfour that's over a decade.

To get a backup the quality of Enroth for 750K is fantastic.

Bravo Lou, Bravo

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I like this I said at the start of the off season we couldn't afford to have Reimer and Bernier back that we needed an upgrde.

To go from Reimer and Bernier to Andersen and Enroth is a HUGE upgrade at both the starter and backup position I haven't been this confident in our goaltending since Belfour that's over a decade.

Bravo Lou, Bravo

It's a slight upgrade but more importantly they cost less $$ with a lower combined cap hit

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I am hopeful but not ecstatic.

Goalies are a little like shoes -- you actually need to try them on to see how they fit. We've had a few that looked nice before we got them, but when we tried them on they didn't fit so well. I need to see if Andersen really is a capable #1 before I send up the balloons.

Here's hoping, though :)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am hopeful but not ecstatic.

Goalies are a little like shoes -- you actually need to try them on to see how they fit. We've had a few that looked nice before we got them, but when we tried them on they didn't fit so well. I need to see if Andersen really is a capable #1 before I send up the balloons.

Here's hoping, though :)

You need to watch more western conference games if you did there would be no doubt

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Sparks and Bibeau? Both could possibly be back-up goalies.

Bibeau convinced me that he can be a very solid goaltender. He absolutely dominated my Mooseheads here and vastly outplayed Fucale (to an annoying level). His dominating play was also present in the Memorial Cup. He's very large and calm, but still needs more time. I see him being a good NHL backup, with a chance, if development continues, at knocking on the door as starter.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Goalies are weird AF.

Hopefully this turns out well. I get the sense the Leafs brass wanted to move away from small goaltenders with the equipment change incoming - hence the hold-up until the announcement was made for this year and the extremely short contract.

I think this is also a big reason they felt Andersen for Bernier needed to happen.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

Bravo Lou, Bravo

I don't think Enroth is an upgrade in quality over Bernier

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Bravo Lou, Bravo

Really?

Andersen 26 125 GP 0.918
Reimer 28 215 GP 0.914
Bernier 28 213 GP 0.915
Enroth 28 147 GP 0.911

Until I see a goalie performing with a team, I don't think I'll assume any massive upgrade.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You need to watch more western conference games if you did there would be no doubt

A lot of people kept telling me the same thing about Bernier when I pointed out to their chagrin that his numbers were near identical to Reimer before we acquired Bernier.

Again, I'll wait and see how he fits first.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Really?

Andersen 26 125 GP 0.918
Reimer 28 215 GP 0.914
Bernier 28 213 GP 0.915
Enroth 28 147 GP 0.911

Until I see a goalie performing with a team, I don't think I'll assume any massive upgrade.

Bernier has been on a massive decline since his 1st season in Toronto you can post his numbers and try to make he and Andersen look close all you want

Fact is anyone that has seen both guys play The past 2 seasons knows they aren't close.

They say numbers don't lie, Bernier's do they paint a picture of a solid goaltender when the reality is he is anything but that.

Last edited:

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Being a Habs fan, I hate the Leafs with so much passion.

Since I'm also a hockey fan, I applaud Leafs' management and I really do like the direction that you're going in.

Congrats to you guys! (obviously, this message is more general than just Enroth's signing :laugh: )

ForSpareParts*

Bernier has been on a massive decline since his 1st season in Toronto you can post his numbers and try to make he and Andersen look lose all you want

Fact is anyone that has seen both guys play The past 2 seasons knows they aren't close.

They say numbers don't lie, Bernier's do they paint a picture of a solid goaltender when the reality is he is anything but that.

SV% doesn't tell the tale of a goal going in on the first or second shot of the game. Bernier lost his nerve last season. He also clearly gets rattled by contract with the other teams' forwards. How can you rely on that as a starting goalie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad