Proposal: TOR Jake Gardiner to NYR for the 26th OA pick in the 2018 draft

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Correct. He goes for about a second rounder at best. He's atcocious in his own end.

While defence may not be his stronger suit, he is top 15 in the entire league in scoring over the last two years, within 10 points of top 5. Whether people like it or not, every year the NHL shows us that for D men, it is offense that gets you paid. Long story short, way too low of a pick.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Yes Gardiner is a soft p***y that is shit in his own end. But he put up 50 points. No reason for the leafs to let him go. Plus, if they were trying to trade him they'd probably get a pick from 15 and lower for him, that's his value.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
shattenkirk was the main prize at the trade deadline. thats why he got a huge return. gardiner won't be the main prize at the deadline, with guys like karlsson, doughty and pacioretty potentially being trade deadline targets

Shattenkirk returned that package because of the level of player he is, not because he was the main prize. That's the standard market price for a d-man of that caliber and Gardiner is without a doubt that caliber of d-man according to any metric you want to measure him by. There's many examples over the years to use as a baseline return and I can assure you they're all more than a single late 1st or 2nd round pick that's some people are throwing out here.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
The thread title says it all.

To NYR - Jake Gardiner
To TOR - 1st round pick in 2018

This is equal value. This is a deal TOR cannot refuse and this is a deal that NYR cannot refuse.

regardless of how bad he was in game seven im not trading him for futures. Hes a very good num 2 d man and the value of these types of guys is more than a 1st. if its for pick nine I think about it. Pick 26 o 28 I say no. If its pick 26 and 28 i may think about it but prob still say no

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
If you aren't even sure what Jake Gardiner we are talking about, how are you qualified to talk about his value?
There's more than one Jake Gardiner playing for the Leafs? If there is they could probably trade one of them?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
How many thanks times has he gotten 50ptz? And some might suggest his 5 goals Vs his 47 assists is more reflective of his play and not the fact he plays with the best players on his team and then we talk about his play in his own zone

His numbers are soft
Isn't it better to have just hit 50 points rather than to have done it 5 years ago?

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
I know right. To be honest I don't even know why Gardiner is still in the league. He has already played his one game that HFboards has judged him on. Might as well call it a career right?
I'm not questioning his value but the way the Leafs' nation turned on him after ONE bad game was remarkable. I'd take him for the Wild but he's not close to Dumba.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
regardless of how bad he was in game seven im not trading him for futures. Hes a very good num 2 d man and the value of these types of guys is more than a 1st. if its for pick nine I think about it. Pick 26 o 28 I say no. If its pick 26 and 28 i may think about it but prob still say no

No. I wasn't born yesterday. This proposal considers Gardiner's full body of work. He has a good contract . He's pretty good. His flaws don't outweigh his points or skating flair/head fakes. The Rangers offer their 1st because they want to be better than an embarrassment this season. TOR will need to seriously consider Jake and the future. Are they going let him walk for nothing or are they going to pay him for another 6 years? This is the best time to move him.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
This is a deal that the Rangers will refuse.

While I agree this trade makes zero sense for the Rangers (and Leafs for that matter), I disagree that they would refuse it. Gardiner clearly has more value than the 26th pick in this draft so it would be poor asset management not to make this deal. They could easily turn around and flip Gardiner for another 1st plus other assets any time between now and the trade deadline. In the end they come out ahead by doing so.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I'm not questioning his value but the way the Leafs' nation turned on him after ONE bad game was remarkable. I'd take him for the Wild but he's not close to Dumba.
Leaf fans didn't turn on him after 1 game. He had a poor year defensively overall. Most of leaf nation is frustrated with him because he was our best defenceman all-around the previous year (he actually played well above average defensively, consistently). To see him play in stretches where he looks like a top pairing guy and then play like an echl scrub in the span of 2 games would frustrate any fan.

Reactions: north49er

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
No. I wasn't born yesterday. This proposal considers Gardiner's full body of work. He has a good contract . He's pretty good. His flaws don't outweigh his points or skating flair/head fakes. The Rangers offer their 1st because they want to be better than an embarrassment this season. TOR will need to seriously consider Jake and the future. Are they going let him walk for nothing or are they going to pay him for another 6 years? This is the best time to move him.

were not giving him away, he has a year left, hes good for at least 40 points. if you offer nine id prob take it. im not moving a num 2 d man for late first round picks not happening. you can tell me how much he sucks or how much our cap will suck all you want were not giving him to you unless you pay the price.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

leafs fans would turn on matthews hell gilmour after a game seven. We booed a f***ing hall of famer larry murphy out of town and got NOTHING for him lol

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
This is a good faith effort by OP.
It's conclusions are not spot on.

from Leafs, I get they wanna upgrade and get something now for a guy who is UFA next year. But a pick now at best is available to help with the run in 2 years, not immediately.
The Leafs need RD which is in short supply, and the parallel of this would be DeAngelo for Leafs 1st. Some variant of that makes more sense.

Rangers have logjam at LD, with 4 good prospects in the pipeline, + atm, Skjei, Smith, Staal + Gilmour.
Do not need LD Gard even if he has some lesser extent ability to flip to right side. He may not be a hot mess there, but also, he is not all that and a bag of chips on defense, which is a paramount issue for a D.

NYR not likely to make picks available, would be looking to move up for better picks if they do. If they were to take a player for a pick, the asset would have to be need, part of package for RD Liljigren, which obv Toronto cannot spare.

Think about it.
for this to work for NY,
they acquire Gard who they do not need for a late pick
they have to flip him and expect to get adequately more than the pick to be worth the risk/trouble.

not happenin now or anytime soon

You're dreaming if you think DeAngelo will return a 1st :laugh:

Reactions: Rangers_23

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
New York does need to put a team on the ice. They could be improved with Gardiner.

A lot of Leaf fans are big on the Marlies' recent Calder title. I personally don't buy it, but many are convinced that Dubas is going to promote from within.

Left-handed shooters in TOR outside of Gardiner:

Rielly
Hainsey
Dermott
Rosen
Borgman
Marincin

Why do leaf fans embrace this anticipated "promote from within" and yet want to hang on to everyone? What is Dermott? Is he going to be TOR's #6 D? I hope to God they promote him and better ******* not be Jake Gardiner's understudy.

Yeah but why would NY give up future assets that they need for a 1 year rental on a team that's not supposed to be good.

The Leafs have good LD depth but they cannot afford to trade Gardiner for picks. If they're dealing him it's for a RD.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
While I agree this trade makes zero sense for the Rangers (and Leafs for that matter), I disagree that they would refuse it. Gardiner clearly has more value than the 26th pick in this draft so it would be poor asset management not to make this deal. They could easily turn around and flip Gardiner for another 1st plus other assets any time between now and the trade deadline. In the end they come out ahead by doing so.

Unless an injury sidelines Gardiner and Rangers just wasted an asset such as the first round pick.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Deangelo for Kapanan,
Tony was drafted 3 spots ahead of KK.
Meets needs for both teams,
TML may love KK, but they have
depth of young F's (obvi, the big 3 also Brown, )
and F prospects (Johnsson, Bracco)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
No...that would mean he’s borderline 1D

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Deangelo for Kapanan,
Tony was drafted 3 spots ahead of KK.
Meets needs for both teams,
TML may love KK, but they have
depth of young F's (obvi, the big 3 also Brown, )
and F prospects (Johnsson, Bracco)
Deal. Deangelo seems to be the odd man out here but I doubt Leafs do this. While Deangelo has been good it doesn’t show up on the stat sheet and the Leafs would be more interested in a defense-oriented dman

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Gardiner wouldn’t fix anything, we have plenty of offensive dmen or dmen who are good offensively (Shatty, Deangelo, Pionk, Skjei)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Yeah but why would NY give up future assets that they need for a 1 year rental on a team that's not supposed to be good.

The Leafs have good LD depth but they cannot afford to trade Gardiner for picks. If they're dealing him it's for a RD.

I'll answer your with a question: Why did Burke sign Komisarek and Beauchemin for a team that had 6 x 4th line forwards on their top 6?

Maybe the answer is that Jake is not expensive, you might be able to flip him at the TDL, and he certainly can help you for a year. In summary (your question and mine), you might be bad but you don't want to be horrible.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
I'll answer your with a question: Why did Burke sign Komisarek and Beauchemin for a team that had 6 x 4th line forwards on their top 6?

Maybe the answer is that Jake is not expensive, you might be able to flip him at the TDL, and he certainly can help you for a year. In summary (your question and mine), you might be bad but you don't want to be horrible.

If the Rangers want something to flip at the deadline, they can sign a free agent. Even if they do flip Gardiner for a 1st at the deadline, then they're just back at square 1. What's the point?

But the main problem with this trade is that the Leafs have no reason to sell off the 2nd best defenseman in an already bad defense. They need to be adding to it, not subtracting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad