Proposal: TOR Jake Gardiner to NYR for the 26th OA pick in the 2018 draft

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Toronto moves a top 4 dman coming off a 52pt season for a late 1st? yeah no

OK. Let's project beyond this season. Is TOR offering Jake a retirement contract next July?

I'm not a salty fan reacting to 1 game vs Boston (-5). I am talking about a whole body of work (Calder Cup playoffs and beyond). I he really going to be on this team for another 6 years?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm all for trading Gardiner for futures if we think Dermott can handle 2nd pairing duties, but he's worth a lot more than this to a team that's in a position to need a guy like him. Look for a competing team that needs a PPQB and isn't absolutely stacked on the left side

Shattenkirk is a decent comparable for Gardiner. With ~3 months left on his contract, he was traded for a 1st + conditional 2nd + a prospect + journeyman AHL/depth NHLer.

Gardiner is coming off 43 and 52 point seasons, so the offence is very similar, but I would say Gardiner is better defensively (Gardiner has tougher minutes but a better goals against relative to teammates stat). I'd say Gardiner's worth more, especially because an offseason trade would be for the whole season and not just a couple of months.

So just a late 1st? Not enough for him.
that's the comp that I use as well, anyone saying that he's worth a 2nd rounder is letting their dislike of him affect their objectivity, I don't see a recent precedent that points to anything near that low

Reactions: loyaltotheend

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
a 50+ point puck-moving DMan in his prime earning a low cap hit does not bring back at best a second rounder. (And BTW, Gardiner has always had great advanced stats).

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
OK. Let's project beyond this season. Is TOR offering Jake a retirement contract next July?

I'm not a salty fan reacting to 1 game vs Boston (-5). I am talking about a whole body of work (Calder Cup playoffs and beyond). I he really going to be on this team for another 6 years?
He has to be moved imo. It's a tough situation. Letting Leo Komorov just walk makes the Leafs better due to great depth at wing.They don't have that luxury on D yet. They need someone as good or better to move him.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Come up with insults as fast as you can and then get back to gaming (stat!!!).

clueless? at least i'm not fickle and hateful.

Apparently you should be working on your reading comprehension?!

Edit:
Do you have cityswiper on ignore or something? I can't see how you took this as an insult otherwise. I quoted him saying Gardiner is worth a 2nd...

Your OP gets rejected by both sides as not helpful

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Apparently you should be working on your reading comprehension?!

Edit:
Do you have cityswiper on ignore or something? I can't see how you took this as an insult otherwise. I quoted him saying Gardiner is worth a 2nd...

Your OP gets rejected by both sides as not helpful

You're right. I take that back. I will delete.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
a 50+ point puck-moving DMan in his prime earning a low cap hit does not bring back at best a second rounder. (And BTW, Gardiner has always had great advanced stats).

How many thanks times has he gotten 50ptz? And some might suggest his 5 goals Vs his 47 assists is more reflective of his play and not the fact he plays with the best players on his team and then we talk about his play in his own zone

His numbers are soft

Reactions: Cams

member 300185

The thread title says it all.

To NYR - Jake Gardiner
To TOR - 1st round pick in 2018

This is equal value. This is a deal TOR cannot refuse and this is a deal that NYR cannot refuse.
Yup and then trade 26 and 25 for 14 and select Joe Veleno. He is the next Tavares.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Shattenkirk is a decent comparable for Gardiner. With ~3 months left on his contract, he was traded for a 1st + conditional 2nd + a prospect + journeyman AHL/depth NHLer.

Gardiner is coming off 43 and 52 point seasons, so the offence is very similar, but I would say Gardiner is better defensively (Gardiner has tougher minutes but a better goals against relative to teammates stat). I'd say Gardiner's worth more, especially because an offseason trade would be for the whole season and not just a couple of months.

So just a late 1st? Not enough for him.
shattenkirk was the main prize at the trade deadline. thats why he got a huge return. gardiner won't be the main prize at the deadline, with guys like karlsson, doughty and pacioretty potentially being trade deadline targets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad