Trade: [TOR/HOU] Joe Biagini, Aaron Sanchez, and Cal Stevenson for Derek Fisher

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
This front office reminds me a lot of Eugene Melnyk. Maybe they made a mistake and thought they were getting Mike Fisher.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I could honestly see the Jays moving if management tanks this team for 10 years

Ideally one day Rogers will wake up and realize the mistake they made in hiring Shapiro, then try to correct that.

Imagine how much better they'd of been had they just given AA full control.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This thread is wild. Aaron Sanchez being treated like Garrett Cole.

Some Jays fans appear to be stuck in 2016, the last year Sanchez was actually good. His value has more or less cratered since then. Might rebound under a different system in Houston, and if it does, hey, more power to him.

But he wasn't getting any better (or younger) in Toronto.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This thread is wild. Aaron Sanchez being treated like Garrett Cole.

Yeah idk what kind of value BJ fans think he had but I can tell you I Would not be surprised if HOU's Player Development can help Sanchez have a Gerrit Cole like resurgence.

Probably still living off the nostalgia of his 2016 season and his ability to touch 97 on the gun.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Value kinda sucks for the Jays, but Sanchez absolutely blows, Biagini is as replaceable as they come, so it's not like they're selling huge pieces.

Obviously Shatkins see something in Fisher that others don't, they probably will be wrong but who knows.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Value kinda sucks for the Jays, but Sanchez absolutely blows, Biagini is as replaceable as they come, so it's not like they're selling huge pieces.

Obviously Shatkins see something in Fisher that others don't, they probably will be wrong but who knows.

The more I think about this deal, the more I feel the immediate reaction from the media/fans was drastically overblown. Sure it's cool to hate on Shapiro and Atkins, but Stroman and Sanchez were never going to return a king's ransom.

Especially Sanchez, who hasn't won a game in months.

I'm interested to see how Fisher does in Toronto, although he got a bit of a raw deal and (through no fault of his own) is probably already persona-non-grata to most bitter Jays fans still cranky over the deal. He's got an uphill battle to win over the Jays' faithful, who can be a stubborn bunch.

Hopefully they'll leave 2016 behind, though, and realize what lies ahead. With Vladdy, Bo, Biggio and now Fisher in the mix, plus hopefully a few arms coming in via free agency, the Jays can show that all is not doom and gloom.

Reactions: MikeCubs

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
My biggest gripe on the Sanchez and Stroman trades are that if this was all you were able to get then just keep them. We don't have anyone better to replace them, maybe Kay and SWR turn out for the Jays but if they hadn't diked around Stroman they could have just resigned at a reasonable rate. Sanchez has been trash for almost 3 years now so it is what it is, I guess. I'm not holding my breath of Fisher but he has tools and maybe he can put it together with opportunity in Toronto.

The truly dumb thing was not trading guys like Galvis or Drury. With Bo, Biggio, Vladdy there's nowhere for them to play. Trade those guys for long shot lotto tickets because who cares. Shatkins asset management since taking over in 2016 has been appalling.

Reactions: MsMeow

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Basically, would have preferred the deal to be Biagini + 1 prospect for Derek Fisher. Sanchez at 6era has little value. Still believe he can be salvaged and I'm sure Astros agree.

Fisher comes off as 4th OF type with a slim chance of turning it around. Hope I'm wrong. I figure if there was another add for Blue Jays, it would not be a large one.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
We could've traded Stroman and Sanchez and got ace pitchers. We would've made it with our offense.
What? They were ace pitchers. Some of the weirdest logic I’ve ever read.

Should have traded Sanchez and Stro and in return might have got pitchers as good as Sanchez and Stro!!!

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Yeah, a lot of Jays fans acting like they're giving up 2016 Sanchez, not 2019 Sanchez who has been trash since 2016.

The Stroman trade was weird since he was actually having a good season and had a year of control beyond this one. I don't get it, you have to pay someone if you plan on being good before the current youngins get inflated UFA deals, why not a good pitcher who wants to be in Toronto?

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Yeah, a lot of Jays fans acting like they're giving up 2016 Sanchez, not 2019 Sanchez who has been trash since 2016.

The Stroman trade was weird since he was actually having a good season and had a year of control beyond this one. I don't get it, you have to pay someone if you plan on being good before the current youngins get inflated UFA deals, why not a good pitcher who wants to be in Toronto?

We gave the money to Randall Grichuk...sigh

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Not many people are actually beefing that the jets traded these guys its what they got in return that stinks.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
Not many people are actually beefing that the jets traded these guys its what they got in return that stinks.
not many people seem to understand that the jays didn't get anything substantial because they didn't really give up anything substantial.

i know sanchez was good three years ago. he isn't anymore. ffs, three years ago, tanner roark was aaron sanchez with 20 more innings of work and he got traded for what looks like a low tier prospect from the a's. three years is a lot of time in baseball.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
christ, joe biagini is a 29 year old middle reliever whose specialty in toronto was getting his dick kicked in by anyone in the left handed batter's box. what's the going value on a guy who can pitch non-leverage spots?

Reactions: MurrayBannerman

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
christ, joe biagini is a 29 year old middle reliever whose specialty in toronto was getting his dick kicked in by anyone in the left handed batter's box. what's the going value on a guy who can pitch non-leverage spots?

I think the fact that Biagini was in the deal is why we had to include a prospect to get rid of him. Just a f***ing terrible pitcher in just about every regard

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Sigh. Just more of the same bad asset management by Shatkins. Par for the course.

I get that Aaron Sanchez has been mostly poor and injured the last 3 seasons...so why trade him if this is the return?! It's better to just keep him for this season and possibly up to the trade deadline next year to see if he can turn things around and become a respectable starter. At that point you may get a half-decent prospect, not some "toolsy outfielder" in Fisher who might figure it out at the age of 26. Like the Jays don't have enough of those types of 4th outfielders in Hernandez and McKinney. If Sanchez continues to suck, then you just shrug your shoulders and part ways at the end of 2020 season. No big loss if Fisher is the best you can do with 1.5 years of control.

The problems I have with these continuous sell low or not getting adequate value for players by Shatkins is that it may very well result in a Jays team which will peak as a .500 team or barely a wild card contender in 3 seasons. You can't draft your way to success. You also need to trade from areas of strength and depth for areas of weakness along with key free agent signings/extensions.

Right now, the Jays pitching looks to be in shambles. They have a bunch of #4 and #5 pitchers...maybe Borucki can be a #3 if they are lucky and he can overcome his injuries. Sean Reid-Foley looks like he will be a flop and Pearson may be available at the end of next season....more likely not until the end of 2021 imo. Other than that, there is no other top-2 starting pitcher on the horizon for 2020 or 2021. The remaining prospects are years away, including SWR who is at least 4 years away. That means it's likely the team will waste a significant portion of the cheap years for players like Vlad, Bo, Gurriel, Jansen and Biggio.

Objectively, Shatkins have been underwhelming outside a few signings (international and free agents), one or two trades (Osuna for Giles looks good this year) and drafting a few decent position players.

Reactions: Del Preston

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Guys, Aaron Sanchez had a good start and is not good and exactly as good as he would be with the Jays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad