Trade: [TOR/HOU] Joe Biagini, Aaron Sanchez, and Cal Stevenson for Derek Fisher

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I admittedly dont follow baseball too much but wasnt Sanchez a young arm the Jays should have kept since dealing Stro?

Is smoker not a highly desirable piece teams are looking for?

Sanchez has declined pretty sharply over the last few years, plagued by injuries and inconsistency. I think he's gone something like 17 consecutive starts this year without picking up a single win.

His last start was insane, though, something like 10ks through 5 innings but the Jays still ended up losing.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sanchez is still young and talented enough that he is guy worth taking shot on to turn it around given success he had earlier in career

With pitchers you see it time and again a reclamation project turned around

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
So 27 year old Sanchez is toast and 26 year old Fischer has "upside"?

That's either a homer take or a bad take (or both).
His arm blown to pieces. His velo is down two ticks from when he was good adding to all the injury concerns.

Fisher could maybe be a fringe average regular. It's not like he's some crazy good player.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Sanchez has declined pretty sharply over the last few years, plagued by injuries and inconsistency. I think he's gone something like 17 consecutive starts this year without picking up a single win.

His last start was insane, though, something like 10ks through 5 innings but the Jays still ended up losing.
And smoker? Last game i saw he solo'd for a game tieing hit in the 9th and hit for the game winning rbi in extras.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Houston gets a broken arm they could maybe rehab, a fringey pen piece, and a AAAA profile OF for a guy they couldn't give enough PT to. Fisher needs to work on his fielding, but he's a top tier athlete and has hit all along the way in the minors. The Jays can finally give him consistent at bats at the major league level.

Reactions: MikeCubs

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
And smoker? Last game i saw he solo'd for a game tieing hit in the 9th and hit for the game winning rbi in extras.

I thought Smoak would move today, guess the Jays want to keep him around as the resident clubhouse vet.

Pretty sure he's the only player left from their playoff years.

EDIT: Ryan Tepera was on that 2016 team as well. But that's it. Massive turnover in just three years.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I thought Smoak would move today, guess the Jays want to keep him around as the resident clubhouse vet.

Pretty sure he's the only player left from their playoff years.
I would have thought he was the most valuable tradable piece after Stro...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL and Toronto adds a prospect too...if Houston added a guy like Stevenson instead of Toronto it might have been close to equal.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Isn't Sanchez also 26? Wouldn't he be the more valuable player to the Jays considering they're currently looking for pitching?

I don't understand baseball trades.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Isn't Sanchez also 26? Wouldn't he be the more valuable player to the Jays considering they're currently looking for pitching?

I don't understand baseball trades.
It's a lot easier to turn a toosly outfielder into something worthwhile rather than a guy who's been worth a combined -3 WARP over three injury plagued seasons.

If the Jays come out on the back end of this, it'll be something like Cal Stevenson turns out to be a productive backup OF. Even if Houston turns Sanchez into something, I'd have little to no confidence that the Jays would have done the same.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
Houston gets a broken arm they could maybe rehab, a fringey pen piece, and a AAAA profile OF for a guy they couldn't give enough PT to. Fisher needs to work on his fielding, but he's a top tier athlete and has hit all along the way in the minors. The Jays can finally give him consistent at bats at the major league level.
reason doesn't play in this thread apparently.

people are somehow shocked that fisher hasn't beaten out better players on a loaded team and was the only haul for mister blister who hasn't been good in nearly three years, a 29 year old sixth inning relief pitcher and a player in the low minors who might be derek fisher one day.

they should have gotten the astros to empty their wallets apparently.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Derek Fisher Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

His performance at ML level has been dreadful and he is about to turn 26

Same can be said of Sánchez last 3 seasons.
51 starts 8 wins,
15 of 51 good starts (4.00 era; 5 ip)
2019 9 of 23 a hint of bounce back,
but 0 in last 10, worse form than 17 & 18 form.
2018 3 of 20
2017 3 of 8
1.64 WHIP
5.32 era

Sanchez is not a good starting pitcher.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Wasn't this another Jays pitcher that Jays fans said was good that just got used as a throw in for a AAA player?

Once again, I have been proven right.

(Eats congratulatory Bon Bon, savors flavors ...licks fingers.... Smiles)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
After seeing these trades I think the jays front office is Chiarelli like. Trading proven major leaguers, even if some of them are a slight disappointment for Grade B and C prospects. None of these guys they have gotten in return sound the least bit promising to me.

Just dreadful.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Sanchez is usually good for 3 or 4 innings and then everything fall off. If Houston plan to use him in their bullpen I suspect he'll be just fine.

That's really an awful trade for the Jays.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Every scouting report I've seen says Fisher has a below-average arm and shouldn't play CF.

Atkins was on TSN saying the Jays are excited for Fisher's arm and defense, and they feel great about playing him in CF.

:huh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad