Rumor: TOR has more “irons in the fire”

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I don't know why the Leafs would need deHaan. Reilly, Gardiner, Dermot and Borgman are already at LHD.
And depending on himto be ready in October and staying healthy,,,,I'd rather not gamble on him.

They may slide Dermott onto the right side, a position he played for the Marlies.

Wouldn't be ideal tho.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
They may slide Dermott onto the right side, a position he played for the Marlies.

Wouldn't be ideal tho.

You're right. Maybe just a short term solution. More important than "handiness" is playing your top six Dmen. Most players shoot left. It's just the math, impossible to find 3 competent NHL RHD per team. I played RHD but I this 64 year old hasn't received any NHL offers recently despite shooting right.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't know why the Leafs would need deHaan. Reilly, Gardiner, Dermot and Borgman are already at LHD.
And depending on himto be ready in October and staying healthy,,,,I'd rather not gamble on him.

If deHann signs you can trade Gardiner or just let him walk, because they won't be able to afford him next summer. deHann can actually defend, so he would be a great add.

At this point it's just about adding good players, not giving a rat's ass about where Andreas Borgman fits.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't care what else they do, I said in June I wanted something "real" from Dubas, something that mattered, then he landed Tavares, that is as real as it gets, in an arms race he got the biggest and best gun available, the got the nuke.

Anything else he does is gravy as long as he gets Nylander signed.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Fans getting so caught up in who's left and who's right. There are teams that would gladly trade for some of our left handed D-men. Don't you worry. :)

Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner
Travis Dermott

Only one that could be traded is Gardiner. If they can do that, they can pursue de Haan. If not, I can see them pursuing a Justin Faulk or Jared Spurgeon. Both RDs.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Tampa Bay wants to go after Erik Karlsson, do they need free up Anton Stralman for salary purposes?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't care what else they do, I said in June I wanted something "real" from Dubas, something that mattered, then he landed Tavares, that is as real as it gets, in an arms race he got the biggest and best gun available, the got the nuke.

Anything else he does is gravy as long as he gets Nylander signed.

If the Leafs were forced ( Not saying they will be " Forced") to decide between Nylander & Marner, i'd assume Nylander is out the door.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

TFP has been on the ball this weekend.

Leafs still have several irons in the fire, such as Calvin De Haan, and possibly trading Matt Martin and Josh Leivo.

Have to assume they are still getting calls on Sparks/Pickard.

Also have to assume they are working the phones for a top 4 D, just in case De Haan goes elsewhere

I want to say that he's actually been good the last 2-3 weeks, he's been on the money.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I have followed The Fourth Period for years and used to use the website to get my fix of rumors and news.

He was always late to the party in terms of breaking news though. However, in the past month or so he has really done a terrific job.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If the Leafs were forced ( Not saying they will be " Forced") to decide between Nylander & Marner, i'd assume Nylander is out the door.

Probably but you don't think Tavares asked how they plan to keep the core together before he signed? You know damn well that came up they have a plan I don't see them being forced to choose

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
4th period guy...

- Called the Tavares deal... after most of twitter world was speculating it
- speculated deHaan when most armchair fan were suggesting it as a possibility due to the Tavares connection. (real insiders have suggested Leafs aren't on his short list).
- now he's speculating Martin and Leivo... alot of insiders have already speculated Martin is on the market. Meanwhile Leivo requested a trade during the season.

None of the above is ground breaking.... or new information.

You’re enjoying your day
Everything’s going your way
And then along comes Debbie Downer

Reactions: Antropovsky

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Hopefully Gardiner is signed longterm. Dubas sees him as part of the core !

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Love how Rielly walks on water while Gardiner had the same production. I get that Rielly has harder competition and Gardiner needs to be sheltered but acting like Jake is disposable is silly.

DeHaan is a really good 4/5 that plays the left side and is set to get overpaid. Not a good investment don't want Zaitsev 2.0

Leafs are making the playoffs regardless, no need to rush a bad signing or trade.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Why are ppl so obsessed over LHD and RHD. Ya ideally it would be nice to get RHD but De Haan would be pretty good. Tavares should talk to him and convince him to come.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
anyone want to venture a guess on what De Haan is going to get for a contract?

in principle, I like the idea because it would almost definitely mean that Gardiner is going to be dealt for something, which is a lot better asset management than we had with JVR/Bozak/Komarov (and all of those guys likely got bigger AAV contracts than anyone expected, so you'd have to assume there was a trade market for them). Just depends on how De Haan would affect the cap situation

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Adding De Haan would round out their defence nicely, assuming he could handle playing the right side with Rielly. Only concern is if his shoulder can hold up, which could have the Leafs cautious about giving him more than 3 or 4 years.

• Dubas did say a few free agents expressed interest in shorter term deals now that Tavares is officially a Leaf. Could be an unbelievable week adding an elite 1C and solid 3D for nothing.

That was only one source making that claim, which IIRC was Lawton, whose been wrong a lot in regards to the Leafs (see Stamkos). Numerous other sources still have the Leafs linked.

Yes you added a 1C so far for free and if you sign De Hann it will be for free but I would argue not a 3D. The thing is you lost people for nothing also. It is not an all add situation. Also the Leafs have not made it past the first round and in my opinion they had a gap behind the Bruins, Lightning, Pens, and Caps. With the team so far I still think they are behind those teams but time will tell with the moves they make over the weeks.

I look at it objectively in that it really does not matter who you get it matters what team uses the cap the best. What teams spend the cap the best and have the least amount of deadweight cap space. I still believe all 4 of those teams are better than the Leafs at this point until they improve that defense. I actually still believe all 5 teams have good forward groups without much advantages. Of course you can pick an order for those groups but the difference between them compared to the difference between the defenses is big. All those teams have good goaltending but even then I think the Leafs have the worst of the group but still good.

It will be interesting how they handle the cap contracts next season because I think the Leafs best players are going to have higher cap hits than those other teams best players and being equal or not as good as those players. For example Crosby and Malkin are better than any center on that team and have $8.7 and $9.5 million compared to most likely $11 million each for top 2 centers for Leafs after next year. Also Kessel $6.8 million 34 goals and 92 points is better than best Leafs winger 69 points and that winger most likely will be $8 million plus after next year. So $30 million to $25 million and the players with the $5 million less cap hit are better for now. Even in a few years when the talent is more equal it still gives the Pens $5 million more to spend on another top player or used for several upgrades on a couple players such as spending $5 million on two players instead of 2 $2.5 million players for those spots.

I still think cap wise the Pens have the best group for the next couple years. Our window is the next 3 years and I think this signing really doesn’t change the playing field in the East.

Nice piece to add and lost some other pieces also but how they build around the core is the key to success. Pens have had the right pieces around the core early years and got to the Finals twice winning 1 Cup then went 6 years without the right pieces to have succes. Pens then built the right pieces again to win two more Cups. Having some good core pieces doesn’t mean a thing without the right pieces around it. Plus I really don’t believe the Leafs core is better than then Pens, Caps, Lightning, and Bruins and in fact is not as good as most of them. Plus other teams are better built around core.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Yes you added a 1C so far for free and if you sign De Hann it will be for free but I would argue not a 3D. The thing is you lost people for nothing also. It is not an all add situation. Also the Leafs have not made it past the first round and in my opinion they had a gap behind the Bruins, Lightning, Pens, and Caps. With the team so far I still think they are behind those teams but time will tell with the moves they make over the weeks.

I look at it objectively in that it really does not matter who you get it matters what team uses the cap the best. What teams spend the cap the best and have the least amount of deadweight cap space. I still believe all 4 of those teams are better than the Leafs at this point until they improve that defense. I actually still believe all 5 teams have good forward groups without much advantages. Of course you can pick an order for those groups but the difference between them compared to the difference between the defenses is big. All those teams have good goaltending but even then I think the Leafs have the worst of the group but still good.

It will be interesting how they handle the cap contracts next season because I think the Leafs best players are going to have higher cap hits than those other teams best players and being equal or not as good as those players. For example Crosby and Malkin are better than any center on that team and have $8.7 and $9.5 million compared to most likely $11 million each for top 2 centers for Leafs after next year. Also Kessel $6.8 million 34 goals and 92 points is better than best Leafs winger 69 points and that winger most likely will be $8 million plus after next year. So $30 million to $25 million and the players with the $5 million less cap hit are better for now. Even in a few years when the talent is more equal it still gives the Pens $5 million more to spend on another top player or used for several upgrades on a couple players such as spending $5 million on two players instead of 2 $2.5 million players for those spots.

I still think cap wise the Pens have the best group for the next couple years. Our window is the next 3 years and I think this signing really doesn’t change the playing field in the East.

Nice piece to add and lost some other pieces also but how they build around the core is the key to success. Pens have had the right pieces around the core early years and got to the Finals twice winning 1 Cup then went 6 years without the right pieces to have succes. Pens then built the right pieces again to win two more Cups. Having some good core pieces doesn’t mean a thing without the right pieces around it. Plus I really don’t believe the Leafs core is better than then Pens, Caps, Lightning, and Bruins and in fact is not as good as most of them. Plus other teams are better built around core.

They had literally the same record as the capitals, and all but one of the guys they lost were pretty much done anyway.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Give CDH 4x4 and structure it so that he makes most of that in the first two years as signing bonus.

Move Gardiner plus 1st 2019 for a competent RHD. I know it may not be popular but Voynov rights could be had and seeing as he is coming back to the NHL a shorter 3x4.5 deal with it front loaded and bonus laden would protect him and allow him to sign another big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad