Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You said better players are available, can you list some?

Salary is absolutely relevant, especially to this team.

why should I? You are perfectly capable of pulling up the lists of players who made it free agency in recent years. The lists speak for themselves.

I also never said salary isn’t relevant

Again, marchment is a 4th liner. That’s it

Reactions: Menzinger

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yup Marchment may not have made an impact here but the fact is we pretty much got nothing for what was an asset which is now playing in the NHL. The trade is a minor fail.

I don't know what other teams were offering for Marchment, so I can't really say it was a fail, but I guess without context it is, one is in the NHL the other isn't, although I don't know if Marchment would be in the NHL if he stayed here.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Probably...but what is Malgin?
Right now it looks like one player will be on the opening night NHL roster, and one will spend the rest of his career in Europe.

I’d simply say that neither one is much of a loss. Highly replaceable with free agents

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
You said better players are available, can you list some?

Salary is absolutely relevant, especially to this team.

Probably...but what is Malgin?
Right now it looks like one player will be on the opening night NHL roster, and one will spend the rest of his career in Europe.

You guys are over-analyzing this one. It's a nothing trade.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Given the player type the Leafs should covet and how Marchment was developing it was never a very attractive deal.
It's always been an inconsequential deal that made sense to make. Marchment wasn't developing. He was stagnating in the AHL, and approaching UFA. We got a better, younger player with more team control. Marchment is now a dime-a-dozen fringe NHL player. If he wasn't 6'4", people wouldn't even remember (or care) that he existed.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
It's always been an inconsequential deal that made sense to make. Marchment wasn't developing. He was stagnating in the AHL, and approaching UFA. We got a better, younger player with more team control. Marchment is now a dime-a-dozen fringe NHL player. If he wasn't 6'4", people wouldn't even remember (or care) that he existed.

More like if his last name was not Marchment nobody would notice at all.

Reactions: Sypher04 and Morgs

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Marchment will most likely be available on waivers at the end of training camp.

Reactions: Sypher04

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
He isn't good, so who cares. If we're bringing up former Leafs on Florida that are good, let's thank our boy Lou for trading a 1st line player in Verhaeghe as a contract dump.

Lou sure has a massive resume of L's over the last decade. Trotz is the only reason he's still relevant.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
why should I? You are perfectly capable of pulling up the lists of players who made it free agency in recent years. The lists speak for themselves.

I also never said salary isn’t relevant

Again, marchment is a 4th liner. That’s it
I follow all this pretty closely so I don’t have to go back and look.. I already said it appears these player types are becoming rarer every year and that’s why I asked you to enlighten me. You’ve suggested there was several options, I can’t think of any.

Help me out.

He’s a 4th liner by stats maybe, but he also has a good complementary skill set that allows him to be a 3rd wheel with better players. That’s how he was used in Florida for the majority of the year.

The Leafs could really use another guy for 700k that can do the dirty work on a line and play in the hard areas of the ice. Especially with Hyman now gone.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I follow all this pretty closely so I don’t have to go back and look.. I already said it appears these player types are becoming rarer every year and that’s why I asked you to enlighten me. You’ve suggested there was several options, I can’t think of any.

Help me out.

He’s a 4th liner by stats maybe, but he also has a good complementary skill set that allows him to be a 3rd wheel with better players. That’s how he was used in Florida for the majority of the year.

The Leafs could really use another guy for 700k that can do the dirty work on a line and play in the hard areas of the ice. Especially with Hyman now gone.

don’t get me wrong, I’d take him, though I’m not sure I see a spot for him in our lineup. He’s not better than the options we already have as far as I’m concerned, but he does some things well. Just a highly replaceable player as far as I’m concerned. His 700k salary is by far the most attractive part of the package.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Lou sure has a massive resume of L's over the last decade. Trotz is the only reason he's still relevant.
Back to back GM of the year, voted by his peers who have far more insight into his work than you or I.

Why do you think his peers voted him the best this and last year?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
don’t get me wrong, I’d take him, though I’m not sure I see a spot for him in our lineup. He’s not better than the options we already have as far as I’m concerned, but he does some things well. Just a highly replaceable player as far as I’m concerned. His 700k salary is by far the most attractive part of the package.
It’s his skill set. They don’t have much of it and they moved on in favour of a fringe player with a redundant skill set.

Trades look good and bad in hindsight for a number of reasons, but this one lacked reason from the very beginning.

Not a big move, but more questionable logic in Dubas’ team of ever moving parts that always seem to equal less than their sum.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Back to back GM of the year, voted by his peers who have far more insight into his work than you or I.

Why do you think his peers voted him the best this and last year?

I think it’s largely result vs roster. This islanders team outperforms their roster seemingly each year and that I do think is largely a result of excellent coaching. Lou has done a good job in NY but a lot of it was already done for him, and I think back to back wins is kinda much given the actual body of transactions he’s made.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s his skill set. They don’t have much of it and they moved on in favour of a fringe player with a redundant skill set.

meh, I guess. Neither was ever likely to make this team as far as I see it. As nothing as nothing gets.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think better may be stretching the truth at the NHL level. Younger and more RFA years, but Marchment still out lived Malgin after the trade. Despite team control.

Marchment has 7 inches on him and plays a really intense physical game. Malgin was a rich man's Petan. His numbers outside the NHL are nice. But, he's a 5'9 skill player trying out for the 4th line, it was never going to work out. Marchment at least had the frame and toolset for an energy player.

I guess the Leafs had no room for Marchment or Malgin and the Panthers did. So, it is possible that the Leafs simply had better forward depth both seasons.

Reactions: banks

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think it’s largely result vs roster. This islanders team outperforms their roster seemingly each year and that I do think is largely a result of excellent coaching. Lou has done a good job in NY but a lot of it was already done for him, and I think back to back wins is kinda much given the actual body of transactions he’s made.
“Lou understands the intrinsic value of a player.” - Barry Trotz

There’s an art to assembling a group that can effectively play together, compliment, and even elevate eachother. Lamoriello is exceptional at this and it’s great to see him get his flowers for it.

He’s done a remarkable job in NY.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
meh, I guess. Neither was ever likely to make this team as far as I see it. As nothing as nothing gets.
Fair enough, I guess time will tell.. It just doesn’t make sense to move a skill set they should covet for one they already had more than enough of.

I’ll never understand the why in this but it would be funny to hear Dubas try to explain it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Fair enough, I guess time will tell.. It just doesn’t make sense to move a skill set they should covet for one they already had more than enough of.

I’ll never understand the why in this but it would be funny to hear Dubas try to explain it.

realistically it probably comes down to what was said earlier, I can’t recall who. They likely didn’t believe in marchment as a future part of this team and moved him to give him opportunity elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad