Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Max Domi signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $3M)

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
No problem with this contract. Nice of Treliving to go for short term deals.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
That's the team we have. That's how it all fits. They haven't carried an extra forward or dman in years to start the season. If they sign Sammy for $2.9m then they have room to keep Laffery.

Insiders, family, friends have all reported he is done. So they don't need to force anything.

I remember same reports about Lupol. LOL. Not blaming the Leafs, but the NHL should crack down on LTIR. It should simply count towards the cap. Vegas were the champs of the league and for LTIR.

• Haha
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Even then they are still $1,472,283 over the cap so an additional move has to be made.

leafs.png

You have 2.5 million sitting in healthy scratches, just move Clifford and McMann to the Marlies, problem solved.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
That's the team we have. That's how it all fits. They haven't carried an extra forward or dman in years to start the season. If they sign Sammy for $2.9m then they have room to keep Laffery.

Insiders, family, friends have all reported he is done. So they don't need to force anything.

But that sets them up for last year all over again.
Giordano needs to play 1/2 the time. He was overused at his age. It really showed in the playoffs.
Reeves cannot dress vs teams with good skating 3rd and 4th lines.
Lafferty is your best 3rd - 4th lin(ish) forward. Fast, good defensive player, uses speed to create offense but he himself has no offense.
I could see Lafferty, Domi, Jarnkrok as an effective 2 way 3rd line.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
But that sets them up for last year all over again.
Giordano needs to play 1/2 the time. He was overused at his age. It really showed in the playoffs.
Reeves cannot dress vs teams with good skating 3rd and 4th lines.
Lafferty is your best 3rd - 4th lin(ish) forward. Fast, good defensive player, uses speed to create offense but he himself has no offense.
I could see Lafferty, Domi, Jarnkrok as an effective 2 way 3rd line.
Laff and jarnkrok would definitely mitigated Domi's defensive deficiencies especially in a third line role

Reactions: malcb33

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You have 2.5 million sitting in healthy scratches, just move Clifford and McMann to the Marlies, problem solved.

Clifford I could see no one touching. Timmins would get claimed in a heartbeat. Hell I'd want the Jets to take him if he hits waivers immediately. But that would do it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Clifford I could see no one touching. Timmins would get claimed in a heartbeat. Hell I'd want the Jets to take him if he hits waivers immediately. But that would do it.

Timmins doesn't have to go anywhere.

You can run 12/7/2 if Samsanov signed at 3 and Murray is traded.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Timmins doesn't have to go anywhere.

You can run 12/7/2 if Samsanov signed at 3 and Murray is traded.

For some reason I thought you had Timmins in there. Just looked again and yeah I doubt McMann or Clifford get claimed. So that would do it. Any short term injuries to some key spots and things could get messy though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I still dont like that there's no snarl in the star players, but signings like this are pretty scary for me (TB fan). Leafs are gonna have some life to them this year that might just rub off on the stars, and suddenly that's a scary team in the playoffs.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Leafs already did this was Lupol. Remember when he couldn't play hockey, but they found him snowboarding. Leafs got to him and shut him down. Lupul appears to deny injury on Instagram - TSN.ca

Sorry, Leafs can and will do this with Muzzin. Bettman and league allow it.
The player can file a grievance if they think the team medical staff is being nefarious in refusing to clear them. There is a union and CBA for this stuff.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Max Domi!

He will help with the post whistle shenanigans. But he’ll never be able to make Marner do it for himself. Which is the key.

Now Reeves on the other hand…

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I still dont like that there's no snarl in the star players, but signings like this are pretty scary for me (TB fan). Leafs are gonna have some life to them this year that might just rub off on the stars, and suddenly that's a scary team in the playoffs.
I’m assuming it won’t rub off on the stars, but the hope is our middle class having some snarl is enough to add the functional grit we need

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I’m assuming it won’t rub off on the stars, but the hope is our middle class having some snarl is enough to add the functional grit we need
Honestly I don't think that's enough. Whenever Leaf media talks about not getting enough offense in the playoffs, very few of them are making the connection that grit IS offense in the playoffs. You need at least one or two of your best guys to be willing to die (Brayden Point) or kill (Nikita Kucherov) in order to win.

This injects a good amount of that into the top-6, for sure. But I think Toronto becomes actually legit if it bleeds over into the star players. I think it might, honestly. And I don't think Ryan Reaves hurts in that case either, because Matthews/Marner are gonna feel a little better about cross-checking somebody in a scrum with that guy watching from the bench.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I remember same reports about Lupol. LOL. Not blaming the Leafs, but the NHL should crack down on LTIR. It should simply count towards the cap. Vegas were the champs of the league and for LTIR.
You want to see a league already jammed up by the cap become broken? Make players on long term injury count against the cap. The league would grind to a stop. Nobody actually wants that lol

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Honestly I don't think that's enough. Whenever Leaf media talks about not getting enough offense in the playoffs, very few of them are making the connection that grit IS offense in the playoffs. You need at least one or two of your best guys to be willing to die (Brayden Point) or kill (Nikita Kucherov) in order to win.

This injects a good amount of that into the top-6, for sure. But I think Toronto becomes actually legit if it bleeds over into the star players. I think it might, honestly. And I don't think Ryan Reaves hurts in that case either, because Matthews/Marner are gonna feel a little better about cross-checking somebody in a scrum with that guy watching from the bench.
My hope is maybe.....maybe over the summer Matthews has a self reflection moment on the whole Stamkos fight after Rielly blew up Point. Like objectively what Stamkos did was kind of dumb, and absolutely greasy....but that is the kind of stuff teams who win best players do in the playoffs. They have to be the ones to drag the team into the fight not the team dragging the stars into the fight. I do think there were better signs with Matthews in the 1st round that comeback game against you guys he tossed the team on his back, but it needs to be far more consistent.

Reactions: DFC

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

I don’t disagree, you need your best players to have that gritty element and our stars don’t have it to the extent other clubs do. It’s a big reason we struggle to score every year, particularly as series go longer and it becomes more of a fight for space

But I don’t think the core as a whole will suddenly become gritty, they have shown who they are for multiple years now and I don’t think it will change because we added a couple guys to the lineup. Maybe Matthews can as he has shown flashes in the past, but Tavares/Marner/Nylander more than likely won’t

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don’t disagree, you need your best players to have that gritty element and our stars don’t have it to the extent other clubs do. It’s a big reason we struggle to score every year, particularly as series go longer and it becomes more of a fight for space

But I don’t think the core as a whole will suddenly become gritty, they have shown who they are for multiple years now and I don’t think it will change because we added a couple guys to the lineup. Maybe Matthews can as he has shown flashes in the past, but Tavares/Marner/Nylander more than likely won’t
I agree with the top part, but I think you might be surprised. Kucherov, for instance, was always a BIT of a prxxk, but he didn't become full-on psycho until the entire team developed an edge. If the attitude in the locker room is "we're going to war tonight," I think it can rub off.

Regardless, to me, there's no doubt that this Leafs team is miles scarier than the one we played a couple of months ago. I feel like their loss to Florida was very predictable, and they only got by TB because Vasy didn't wake up until it was too late. But Bertuzzi and Domi means, win or lose, nobody's gonna enjoy playing the Leafs, and that means something.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My hope is maybe.....maybe over the summer Matthews has a self reflection moment on the whole Stamkos fight after Rielly blew up Point. Like objectively what Stamkos did was kind of dumb, and absolutely greasy....but that is the kind of stuff teams who win best players do in the playoffs. They have to be the ones to drag the team into the fight not the team dragging the stars into the fight. I do think there were better signs with Matthews in the 1st round that comeback game against you guys he tossed the team on his back, but it needs to be far more consistent.
100%.

It's interesting to see Leaf fans beginning to understand this. Like, it's hard sitting on a bench watching your teammates get bullied, and then going out to get bullied, and whining about it only further instills a losing mentality.

Stamkos saw Point break a rib, thought there was a chance the play was shady, and grabbed the best player he could find to take it out on. It was honestly the best thing Stamkos did for us in that series. But it's not like TB ALWAYS had that wolf pack, punch-first-ask-questions-later mentality. It developed over time.

Reactions: The Management

shenmue16

Apr 19, 2023
Kind of interesting how LTIR has been exploited so widely by cup winning teams within recent memory, and how neither the NHL nor the NLPHA have any interest in fixing that issue. Maple Leafs should have to be moving someone, but as per usual they'll probably end up working some "magic".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad