Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Max Domi signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $3M)

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I guess. I don't know.

It's just every year, another slew of rentals to fill out the roster but no real commitments to guys that will be here long-term beyond the core 4 (and Reilly).

Get bounced early. Rinse and repeat.

Its a wait for Tavares contract to run out. Then Toronto can build a team.
Matthews and Marners contract isnt superbad. They are just badly handed full money.

Tavares resigned at 4,5 millions gives then the needed money to spend on a third line as well.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
100%.

It's interesting to see Leaf fans beginning to understand this. Like, it's hard sitting on a bench watching your teammates get bullied, and then going out to get bullied, and whining about it only further instills a losing mentality.

Stamkos saw Point break a rib, thought there was a chance the play was shady, and grabbed the best player he could find to take it out on. It was honestly the best thing Stamkos did for us in that series. But it's not like TB ALWAYS had that wolf pack, punch-first-ask-questions-later mentality. It developed over time.

Leaf fans starting to understand this? What? Dubas has been adding toughness for 3+ years now we got it a while ago

Evergreen

I love this and the Bertuzzi signings for the Leafs. Curious how they make it all fit this year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I guess. I don't know.

It's just every year, another slew of rentals to fill out the roster but no real commitments to guys that will be here long-term beyond the core 4 (and Reilly).

Get bounced early. Rinse and repeat.

Isn't that the whole thing with committing to the "Core 4our" though? If you've got those salaries on the books, you need to find more long-term players to surround that. But a lot of that philosophy is just about riding top-heavy and filling out the rest of the roster with whatever is cheap and available.

Not the way i'd build a team. I'd be burning up the phonelines trying to get Marner dumped for something decent and trying to build depth. That's what wins. Is Marner worth two good Top-6 Wingers and a premium depth player? Doubtful.

But Treliving appears to have decided to continue building down that path.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Imagine being so bad that you have run and sign with the team daddy played on. Pure cringe, from a cringe player.

I disagree.

No one is saying this is getting McDavid. He is a very solid 3rd line addition @ 3 million for 1 year. Not sure what the down side is?

Although, if anyone would know NHL cringe - Arizona fan…yup check.

Reactions: Rob Brown

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Isn't that the whole thing with committing to the "Core 4our" though? If you've got those salaries on the books, you need to find more long-term players to surround that. But a lot of that philosophy is just about riding top-heavy and filling out the rest of the roster with whatever is cheap and available.

Not the way i'd build a team. I'd be burning up the phonelines trying to get Marner dumped for something decent and trying to build depth. That's what wins. Is Marner worth two good Top-6 Wingers and a premium depth player? Doubtful.

But Treliving appears to have decided to continue building down that path.

Yeah, but I think it's too early to say what Treliving will or will not do. I don't expect him to make a trade for the sake of it, either. The right pieces need to be available as well as the right dance partner. If you're moving out Nylander or Marner, you need get to get it right.

Ideally those types of moves should have been explored before he took over and these no trade protections kicked in. Perhaps they were, though I personally doubt it.

Reactions: biturbo19

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Imagine being so bad that you have run and sign with the team daddy played on. Pure cringe, from a cringe player.
Imagine being so good that for three years in a row your services are sought by a cup-contending team. Absolutely based, from an absolutely based player.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Slow news day in Ottawa

It was to chirp Duclair who was his teammate at the time. Hell even if you don't want to believe me, do you think saying "Montreal sucks" as a member of the Arizona Coyotes is equivalent to saying "The fanbase for the Habs is second to none" AFTER signing with the Leafs?

Gotta love Domi flat-out saying Montreal is on a whole other level compared to Toronto after signing with them lmao.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
It was to chirp Duclair who was his teammate at the time. Hell even if you don't want to believe me, do you think saying "Montreal sucks" as a member of the Arizona Coyotes is equivalent to saying "The fanbase for the Habs is second to none" AFTER signing with the Leafs?

Gotta love Domi flat-out saying Montreal is on a whole other level compared to Toronto after signing with them lmao.
I'm sorry this is happening to you
And you lol

Reactions: Kelly

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm sorry this is happening to you

And you lol
I am sorry for you too. I agree that it is weird for a player to just openly say "nah the other team I played for is significantly better than this one" so I don't blame you for trying anything possible to make it seem more insignificant than it is.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I am sorry for you too. I agree that it is weird for a player to just openly say "nah the other team I played for is significantly better than this one" so I don't blame you for trying anything possible to make it seem more insignificant than it is.
lol

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Where was this said?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Hope he does well, I'm still a huge Max Domi fan. He was one of the few who consistently gave a f*** under Tippett.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Even then they are still $1,472,283 over the cap so an additional move has to be made.

leafs.png

What is this? Why is Matthew Knies playing below Sam Lafferty?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leaf fans starting to understand this? What? Dubas has been adding toughness for 3+ years now we got it a while ago

Toughness was a factor but not the sole factor. The D core and goaltending is a challenge. Most teams who go on deep runs have sound D core and goaltending who actually are good at it.

Offense is clearly there but it appears there is always a key goal allowed at a bad time. I actually think the Leafs have cap options for next year (even after Nylander is extended). The issue is who can you guys find as a real top 4D who can turn the needle defensively. Klingberg is not it.

Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzui, and Brodie does free up a lot of cap. Then add the cap growth bump we are projected to get. There will be cap freed up. Domi's cap hit goes to Nylander and Mathews raise. Does Bertuzzi become someone to sign as a priority over trying to find a stud top 4D? Not sure. Brodie can return at a pay cut so hopefully for you guys, he stays and takes a team friendly deal vs trying to max out his next contract with anybody.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looked good in preseason. Has not looked good in regular season. It’s been 3 games, let’s see what happens.

His best two seasons came with the Habs and Hawks in a high usage role. I don't think you get the results you might think you get if he's playing on the 3rd line with 12 min's a game which includes 2nd PP unit.

I believe he was around 18 min/game with his best two seasons (Hawks and Habs).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad